Dog Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I mentioned Coconut has two - they're in her hind legs. We've had two vets (same practice) say there's nothing to be done until she needs surgery, and there's nothing we can do to help it Re: exercise, food, etc. Obv. vets don't know everything.

Today the girls at day care said they popped her knees back in 4-5x during play! We pop either of her knees back in pretty regularly at this point (anywhere from 1-5x daily), and it seems to need it more when we walk or play fetch a lot.

I'm wondering if supplements really do work? Someone suggested NuviFlex awhile ago, and a few people have mentioned Glucosamine and Chondroitin in other threads related to luxating patella and/or joints. Should we just start with this supplement or does anyone have another recommendation? If we go with a standard supplement, do we just get human supplements and feed based on weight?

Halp!

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
you actually have to pop it back in? May I ask how? I've never had to do it

Chilis just kinda went away on its own for the most part. I switched Radars food and it settled alot. I haven't been able to supplement him, his tummy is sensitive and so far all my tries have resulted in bad juju

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Banned
5,518 Posts
Supplements work for things like arthritis or other joint related issues, but they're not going to work for the patellas, sorry :-( The patellas pop out because they or the groove they are supposed to sit in (or the associated ligaments) are malformed or injured, not because they are lacking anything in the joint or need lubrication.

If they pop out that frequently and have to be manually replaced as the girls at the day care did, then the only thing to fix them for good is surgery. Having a dog on the thinner side will help with symptoms though.

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
Oh yes, Holly is right. The idea is to help prevent arthritis with supplements or in Radars case, ease existing arthritis damage. Its stacking the odds in your favor. Esp if the dog is favoring one leg over another.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well, she's very skinny, so no worries there.

They will pop back in without help if she will walk them out. She usually just stands there and favors her leg though, or runs three-legged. And on the occasion when they both pop out, she walks on her front legs only (weirdest thing I ever saw). Basically, we just have to push her leg up and force it to bend. It pops back in when the leg bends at the joint/knee.

Well, this is worrisome. I don't know about surgery at this point; she has such tiny bones, and she's so young.

·
Banned
5,518 Posts
I wouldn't worry about surgery necessarily. If you have a good surgeon doing it, you'll be fine. Patella luxations are soooo common in small dogs.

But yes, like Crio said, the supplements can prevent future arthritis, which is bound to arise especially if you don't do the surgery.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What supplements do you suggest to prevent the arthritis? I'm sure her joints are going to wear very quickly considering. I'd hate for her to start getting pain very young.

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
Well, she's very skinny, so no worries there.

They will pop back in without help if she will walk them out. She usually just stands there and favors her leg though, or runs three-legged. And on the occasion when they both pop out, she walks on her front legs only (weirdest thing I ever saw). Basically, we just have to push her leg up and force it to bend. It pops back in when the leg bends at the joint/knee.

Well, this is worrisome. I don't know about surgery at this point; she has such tiny bones, and she's so young.

ok, im really lost now. When radars pops out, he will hold his leg up as high as possible, so its obviously bent, then he'll just hop around on three legs for X amount of time...you're saying though, that doing that manually helps your dog?

I've tried pushing things around (gently) and never could really tell wth I was doing, he always seems to fix it in under 10 seconds and never vocalizes.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Banned
5,518 Posts
What supplements do you suggest to prevent the arthritis? I'm sure her joints are going to wear very quickly considering. I'd hate for her to start getting pain very young.

I personally think Cosequin (or the human equivalent Cosamin) is the best.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, she holds it high, but not super high. It can still be pushed up gently a bit more, and it generally clicks back in place immediately when we do that (I can hear it). The vet showed us how, and her knees seem to pop in/out really easily.

I typically try to get her to walk it out, but when both go out, she kind of shakes and walks weird on both front paws, so I pick her up and push each leg up myself. With one leg if she doesn't walk it out after probably a good 30 seconds to a minute, I'll push her foot up gently.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
That's good. Coconut seems not to let it affect her, but she also won't put weight on it, so getting her to walk it out can be hard. She ran all over the backyard 3-legged chasing a toy last week until she finally seemed to forget she was favoring it, and put it down to run normally. :rolleyes: Bending the joint in either direction seems to fix it.

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
so Radar was just tripoding around, so I took his leg and bend it more and then straight again, then I let him go. He continued to tripod. So I did it again, and he straightened it out, but still didn't put weight on it, think like, pirate peg leg style. So Im not sure if I accomplished anything really.

So anyway. Our dogs are broken.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hm...maybe it has to do with age. When it happened at the vets office, the vet showed us to take the foot and slowly move the leg up as the knee bends. That sounds like what you did though. Coconut's knee makes a tiny knuckle-popping noise & she's good to go.

Poor, broken dogs. :(
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
well, the 'dar has many many more years of wear on his joints, so its possible it no longer can pop back in, in such a ridgid "pop" sort of way. It honestly probably just floats all over the place and isn't really "in" anymore. He also has HD, so I'm quite surprised that he runs around the way he does. Bouncing and such

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts