Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Irish setter ( 5 months ) developed a week ago a fungus on its elbows and kneees. The doctor prescribe a shot and a cream ( ketoconazole) he mentioned I would not see improvement until 8 days later or so and that the treatment should last 15 days..... however the puppy really likes licking the cream... I try to rub it in as much as possible but he still gives it a few licks after.

I've read orally administers ketoconazole can cause loss of appetite.... he's stools are good.. but his eating has been off... mostly mornings he doesn't feel like eating ( I feed him twice 150grams per meal )

I'm wondering if it's the licking of the medication créeme or if he is just getting fancy with his meal ( I feed him purina pro plan) because if I drop some dog beef on top he will eat it completely...

His character is normal joyful and playful

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Can you perhaps wrap his leg for an hour or so, after medicating? I realize for some dogs, that's a lot to ask.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the posts! I was thinking of getting him a cone those they use after surgery.. also the fungus is very persistant seems it takes two weeks to start to go away... verte suggested a run of penicillin shots.. 3 shots one every two days

1 - 4 of 4 Posts