Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I'm new to the Forum. I'm really enjoying all of the experiences and information I'm seeing. I have had to put our dog in the kennel for a week and sometimes 2 weeks at a time. The first time, for 2 weeks and he developed kennel cough, even after being vaccinated. The second time was pretty soon thereafter, and no kennel cough. Then just 2 weeks ago (after not being in the kennel for a while) he got kennel cough, eventhough he was vaccinated for Bordatella 2 weeks prior. Poor guy is 14 and I wouldn't put him in the kennel if I had someone to look after him. Need suggestions on finding reliable pet sitters. Also, how can I boost his immunity prior to boarding? Thanks so much

·
Registered
906 Posts
Hi,
Have you discussed his recurring kennel cough with his vet? What does he say?

I don't know where you live, but finding a reliable pet sitter or kennel around here means contacting good trainers, some of whom also offer kennel services, or know of a good reliable one.

Good luck,
Claudia

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
It is probably the stress that causes it. Word of mouth is how I built my boarding buisiness customers. Ask your friends to recommend someone or maybe the people that work at your vets office.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sorry to hear about your dog getting sick. You can find pet sitters on care.com, sittercity.com and thumbtack.com among other places. Just make sure to check some references and make sure you have a good gut feeling about the person. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
I personally would not board a dog that old. We have boarding at the vet clinic where I work and there aren't very many older dogs that do well with it. They just can't handle the stress. They end up coughing, having diarrhea, vomiting etc.

Try rover.com and doggievaycay.com for finding a petsitter. I believe they both require background checks before somebody is approved to be listed on the site as a sitter. At least rover does. Rover also requires a letter of recommendation.

Another idea is to try your local classified ads. Or put ads up at a local college. There's probably plenty of responsible young adults out there that could use a little extra cash and would enjoy taking care of a dog. Neighbors can also be great for pet sitting if you just ask. There was more than one occasion where a neighbor out of the blue asked if I could pet sit for them because they had seen me walking my dogs or playing with them in the yard.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts