Dog Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The groomer and the vet both have a hard time trimming Kelsey's nails. As you can see they are LONG. We boarded her a few months ago when we went on vacation and I begged the lady to do whatever she could with her nails. The lady and her daughter kind of tagged team kelsey and used a dremel tool. But they were still really long. Kelsey is not aggressive or anything she just jerks and makes it difficult on the person. We bought a PediPaw but I have been scared to use it. I don't want to hurt her. I don't think I will be able to do it in one session because they are so long. I am just not sure where to begin. Does the quick grow out as the nails get longer? How can I be sure not to hit the quick? I definitely don't want to hurt her since she is already so apprensive. Any advice?

Attachments

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Our Mandy was awful-until my dad fixed the problem, we had to go as a family to the vet and all four of hold her down, muzzled to do her feet. For some reason she just went crazy.

I wouldn't suggest my dad's method-because behaviorally it doesn't make sense and I think it wasn't a nice way to do it-but I'll share for the sake of hearing myself type :) Anyways, he got out the leash to take her for a walk, then grabbed nail clippers. When she wouldn't let him clip nails, he made a big production of putting away her leash and didn't walk her. I think she went three weeks with no walk. Eventually she learned to be a 'nice girl' and lay down on her side, and let him trim nails. TBH I don't think that's the best way to train at all but it worked for our stubborn husky who has no qualms about biting us when she feels it's a good idea.

What I would do is start handling the paws all the time. Your dog no longer gets food unless your playing with his paws-feel the pads, the webbing, the nails, even touch legs and hold one paw up at a time. REALLY desensitize her to having her paws touched and played with.

Next I'd work up to doing the same but holding the sissors/clippers/dremel while handling the paws, then work onto doing one nail at a time.

IF you really work at this you could have her come around to allowing paw touching and nail trimming in a few weeks. Could take longer and if so, I'd get a trim by the vet in the meantime.

I would really suggest getting a nail dremmel. You'd think they'd hate them, but honestly my dog, and my rabbits, and this kitten I'm looking after-ALL were fine with the dremmel and hate clippers.

The dremmel also allows you to shave small peices off and there is less chance of you hitting the quick.

Obviously your dog has dark nails-two tips for looking for the quick.
1) If your dog has one or a few lighter nails, find the quick and trim the same approx amount of all nails.
2) Use a flashlight and a white marker and mark where you want to trim, or just use a flashlight for each nail and trim as you go.

·
Banned
557 Posts
( raises hand).. I have one like that too- Zubin. He doesn't like the clippers- why- I have no idea as he has never been knicked at the quick and was fine until a year ago.
Its funny though- he tolerates the dremmel, sleeping through it quite frankly.. So he gets the dremmel.

·
Banned
88 Posts
My little boys Jake and Emmett detested it as well, they're getting better, though. Course, them only being 3lbs makes it hard for them to throw me around. LOL
Those Pedicure things that file down without cutting makes it SOO much easier, and I find much nicer for them! :)

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
It's something I need to start working on with Cannon and he's got black nails too.

I got this: Amazon.com: Dremel 750-02 Minimite 4.8-Volt Two-Speed Cordless Rotary Tool: Home Improvement

And I'm planning to do this: DoberDawn.com (click on How To Dremel Dog Nails)

I've read bad reviews on PediPaws and Pedicure (weak motor and the cover gets in the way for small feet).

The groomer and the vet both have a hard time trimming Kelsey's nails. ... Any advice?
How is Kelsey doing?

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Ditto the weak reviews lol A real dremmel is so much better :)

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Hey that's interesting! I never had to trim my dogs nails cause as they work all day in the farm their nails don't need it. (So I have no experience but I would like to learn)

I asked my vet and here is what he told me:

""In any situation where the dog does not like a "procedure" (such as nail trimming, bathing etc), it is usually easy for them to learn from your behavior when this procedure is about to happen. This only compounds the problem, as does your inevitable anxiety surrounding the procedure, which your dog will detect.

You need to make your dog comfortable with you holding his paws and his nails again before you attempt to cut the nails. Whenever you are relaxing at home, for example watching TV, let your dog cuddle up to you and make a point of acting as if you are about to cut his nails. It will help if you position him in the way he would usually if you were about to cut his nails. The best way is usually in a relaxed posture on his side. Practice asking him to turn over so you can easily access the other paws, always praising him for calmness.

Unless he is unusually stressed by this, you should keep up this behavior until your dog is used to it. After 10 days or so, when is completely comfortable with your actions, attempt to cut just one of his nails, remembering to praise him well for maintaining his position and calm. When you are finished, pile on the praise and treats, positively reinforcing that it really is not so bad, and in fact worth the effort for him!""

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
BAH Alfi-couldn't have said it better!! I think you know what your doing ;)

My gf has a lab who is insanely active and she's three-never had her nails clipped-they just wear down ;)

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
BAH Alfi-couldn't have said it better!! I think you know what your doing ;)

My gf has a lab who is insanely active and she's three-never had her nails clipped-they just wear down ;)
Can I ask a silly question?? What is "BHA"?? (I come from Italy and though I live inUK I work for an Italian University and I use my English only when I go shoping or with my friends but ofcourse as an Italian I communicate a lot with body-language...you now moving hands, legs, head etc like an idiot!! - Ok I live in UK so you can laugh with my English! hahaha!!)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well, I didn't notice anyone replying to the one question she had so I'll answer it, and if someone else already did, I apologize lol. I used to be a groomer and yes, the quick does grow with the nail that's why when they are really long, you have to take a little bit off at a time. I like the dremmel too not only because it's quicker and you get both a trim and a nice filed nail, but it's is painless for the dog. Using both the scissor nail trimmers and the guillotine nail trimmers are kinda uncomfortable for them.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bah? I think it is like a laugh kind of like LoL. (I think)

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh thank you!! So you think trim wait like 3 days and trim again? Would that be long enough?

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
the trick they taught us when we learned basic grooming was to put pressure on the nail with the clippers (just not cut) and if the dog flinches, your probably to high...thats with clippers of course :)

hahah, Bah is a laugh...I must have lost track of this thread.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Me too and its my thread LoL! I have gotten back to the nail issue. Nic was suposed to look into getting a dremmel thing so I will remind him and try that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Brittany-yea, i'd wait for a few days, maybe even a little longer. I have to say, I'm sooooo glad I'm not a groomer anymore! lol. It was really hard. Especially when you have no help and you have to lift a dog that weighs more than you in/out of a tub, on/off a table, and even more so when that monster of a dog is growling and trying to bite you head off and your head is against his! lol *sigh* no more grooming for this girl. lol

Oh yea...putting some pressure on the nail does help a LOT, good call criosphynx! ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
This tip may come a bit too late however it's the single most valuable piece of information I received. You have to start cutting nails from day one. Ideally, your dog is a puppy and you can cut nails atleast once a week, twice a week is preferred. Now if you are cutting them this often, you hardly take any length off. The idea is you get them used to the tools you use. You can also use treats. My in-laws rescued 8 year old Irish Setters. They were in rough shape as they were coming from mills. :( We found a treat that they loved. Then, one of us would hold the dog and have a treat in the other hand while the other person would focus solely on cutting the nails. Eventually they learned that when we got the nail clippers they would get a treat and they loved getting their nails done. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts