Dog Forum banner
1 - 2 of 18 Posts

· Registered
318 Posts
I think another possible explanation could be that he is overwhelmed, and he is trying to communicate this by lunging and nipping. Leash walking is hard for 6 month old pups, and environment can be a lot too. It can easily become too much, and this is often how they communicate discomfort. Does his lunging and nipping "feel" more playful or more stressed to you?

If it's stress release/communication, I would try shorter walks, probably very short, just more often, and see if it changes anything. Loose leash walking takes a lot of focus, and 6 month olds sometimes can't successfully do more than a few minutes at a time.

Another thing that makes me think it might be stress and frustration is because you mention his reaction to your pulling on a slip lead. I would suggest using a kinder tool (I like harnesses for walking dogs, but I understand they might not be everyone's cup of tea - my 10 month old pup dislikes them, so she gets walked on a very wide, comfortable collar where the environment is not too difficult for her to focus). I'd go above and beyond to avoid putting pressure on the neck of a dog, especially a puppy this young, because negative associations with leash walking can form very quickly and lead to fears, reactivity and physical problems down the line. Often, young dogs are physically capable of longer walks, but mentally they are not ready, so it can become too much and they get frustrated and overwhelmed.

· Registered
318 Posts
Ah, yes, I see, the ambivalent pup - playful and overstimulated at the same time. I've had a few of those myself :)

For my enthusiastic pullers, I found that "allowing" any pulling or neck pressure ultimately contributed to overarousal. That's why I switched to harnesses and looooots of loose leash training, both indoors and outdoors. My dogs tend to be on the bigger side, so it is important to me/for me that they have self control and don't rely on my reminders or corrections. If they lunged, I would fly! Plus, I like the feeling of walking together focused, relaxed and connected. But it's a project, uff. :)

1 - 2 of 18 Posts