Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have a 3 mo and a 7mo old. They love to play with each other which is fine (most of the time). I allow them to play with each other outside with supervision. However they often like to carry te playing inside which im not a fan of because my 7mo old is a very ungrateful lab. Separate the two and they are calm and lovable. Put the two together and its utter chaos. So how can i keep them from playing with each inside like that do outside? Is this something that comes with age or training? Thanks

·
Registered
279 Posts
with puppies that age probably the only way is to separate them. If you just let them play do they go on for ever? Maybe they will play themselves out.

·
Registered
893 Posts
What do you mean by an ungrateful lab??

I would just let them play until they drop. They are young and full of energy. If you want to teach them an off switch, try giving them something to chew on while indoors or have them playing outside longer. But in all honesty, not letting them play indoors at all sounds like it would be boring for them.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I'm also very interested in what you mean by ungrateful! I don't think I've ever heard a dog called that.

So right now I would first just keep them separated. You can also start using a break it up command, I use "enough" or "easy" with my dogs. At first you can just clap and physically separate them after you say it. Do that over and over until they start to realize what it means. It's not always a fast process but they'll catch on. Occasionally if they got super rowdy I would use a squirt bottle along with the command word. And it's important for them both to have alone time with you and some individual training as well.

Oh, and as a rule, most behaviors don't go away with age. A dog might be less rambunctious as they age, but if you don't deal with behavior problems, they will usually continue and get worse. So for most things, training, or even just reinforcement of a certain behavior is necessary for dogs to do what you want.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha sorry, im doing this on my phone. I meant ungracefull, not ungrateful. And by ungracefull i mean she is 50+ pounds and will run full speed into someone or something.

And when they are outside its morenof a go full speed, slow down, drop, slow, full speed, drop, walk around, full speed, its all over the place.

And im not trying to eliminate the playing inside altogether, just manage it/decrease it. I literally have to seperate them just so they can sleep and rest. I know theyre puppies and full of energy, which im fine with but i do believe they shouldn't be going non stop all day. So thats why i started to seperate them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.