Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there any reasons why keeping a male pup from a litter from your own bitch is not a good idea, any problems that commonly arise ?
thanks in advance :ponder:

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
is there any reasons why keeping a male pup from a litter from your own bitch is not a good idea, any problems that commonly arise ?
thanks in advance :ponder:
Sure if you plan on breeding her or him so neither are fixed you are looking into a dangerous future of inbreeding. Please either fix one or both or don't do it.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i plan on havin the mother neutered as soon as she as is safe to do so after she has the pups, so other than that there shouldnt be any problems, with the pup trying to feed from the bitch when he is an adult or anything? im aware this is probably a stupid question but am a novice.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
My aunt kept one of her pups and had mom spayed, she said mom would get annoyed with him sometimes which is normal anyways but never did he try to nurse, that would be like my pup trying to nurse on my spayed chihuahua lol. No worries there

·
Registered
146 Posts
Many people keep a pup from their litters, no problems :)

I took in a cat and her 6 kittens, all a week old. The kittens are two years now, and we have all 6 kittens and momma. We didn't bother seperating for weaing them, momma did it when she felt she was ready. I would guess dogs would do the same (unlike horses haha!) but you can always wean them yourself. I know my friend did with the two pups she kept from her bitch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts