Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I'm new here and I would love to hear what you guys have to say about this issue I am about to have.

I have about 1000 mile commute upcoming and I bringing my dog. He is 75 lbs, loves the car and is great in the car so that will not be a problem, as we have done long trips before. The issue however is that I am leaving from South Carolina and it is very hot here during the summer obviously, and my AC in my car is broken. It has been broken for awhile now but has not been too much of an issue because I have not had to drive too far and I could just put the windows down. It does become an issue when I have 2 separate 10 hour drives coming up with my dog, as the windows down can only do so much and can get annoying over the course of a long drive. I am thinking of driving at night so the temperatures will be cooler too from some of the drive.

Long story short: I have a long car ride with my dog and my AC is broken in the summer. I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions of any products or techniques I could use to keep my dog cool and happy throughout these long car rides. I stop frequently to get cold water and/or ice for my dog but I was looking at maybe getting a cooling pad that could help too? I will have a lot of other things in my small car too, so I would like to keep my dog and his things up in the front seat if at all possible.

Any suggestions for products I could buy, preferably on Amazon, would be great! Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think that the best is if you offer him enough water on the long ride . There are few things that could be done without air conditioning

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would remove anything that your dog wears (collars, harnesses, what have you..) and maybe crack a window for him to put his head out? Just throwing out some ideas here.

Driving at night, as you've suggested, would certainly help. Down here in Florida it's still pretty warm but definitely not as bad at night. You could try this product from Amazon?

https://www.amazon.com/Hugs-Pet-Products-Comfort-Cooling/dp/B007JT4P88/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1467909644&sr=8-2&keywords=cooling+dog It's a cooling gel pad.

·
Banned
283 Posts
Hey everyone I'm new here and I would love to hear what you guys have to say about this issue I am about to have.

I have about 1000 mile commute upcoming and I bringing my dog. He is 75 lbs, loves the car and is great in the car so that will not be a problem, as we have done long trips before. The issue however is that I am leaving from South Carolina and it is very hot here during the summer obviously, and my AC in my car is broken. It has been broken for awhile now but has not been too much of an issue because I have not had to drive too far and I could just put the windows down. It does become an issue when I have 2 separate 10 hour drives coming up with my dog, as the windows down can only do so much and can get annoying over the course of a long drive. I am thinking of driving at night so the temperatures will be cooler too from some of the drive.

Long story short: I have a long car ride with my dog and my AC is broken in the summer. I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions of any products or techniques I could use to keep my dog cool and happy throughout these long car rides. I stop frequently to get cold water and/or ice for my dog but I was looking at maybe getting a cooling pad that could help too? I will have a lot of other things in my small car too, so I would like to keep my dog and his things up in the front seat if at all possible.

Any suggestions for products I could buy, preferably on Amazon, would be great! Thanks for your help!
Get the aircon fixed is the best I can offer. Obviously carrying water and peemail breaks are essential too.
We did a similar trip a couple of weeks ago - over 1100 miles in total. One stint was seven hours because of traffic congestion. But he was fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts