Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do people keep their dogs warm in their crates in the winter? The living situation has changed temporarily, and I don't have control of the thermostat. :p Basically it is probably kept in the 60s at night. I know that's not super cold, but I am freezing if I get out of my comforter, so I can only imagine how a chi with a single coat and hairless belly must feel. Last night she was not with us, but I'm thinking about how cold it will be tonight and worrying. At our old house, we always made sure she had a blanket on the bottom, and blanket padded around the sides/back for insulation, but I kept the thermostat at around 73 (I am pretty wimpy).

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
I would just give a nice blanket burrow under and keep the crate covered. I know with Chloe if she gets cold she just goes under the blanket I leave out for her and it seems to do the trick. :)

·
Registered
13,313 Posts
If Tessa is cold, she asks to come under the covers with us. That's our solution! :)

She has us both wrapped around her little dew-claw.... sigh...

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
We have the same solution as you Tess. Lola will fight you to sleep under the covers. She even has to have one on the couch to sleep under as well. Shes a bit obsessed. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
Shes a chihuahua!! She should be sleeping inside your shirt or tucked in the crick of your knee!!

Donut beds work best imo. They can snuggle in to them
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
230 Posts
You can borrow our nephew and he'll hook Coconut up. :p

One day I was looking through our Amazon account and realized someone had purchased a heated dog bed. I thought maybe my fiance had decided to splurge for our new puppy so I asked him and he said he thought I ordered it. Well, some detective work and we realized our 2 year old nephew had been on the computer unsupervised.. And he accidentally one-click bought Loki a pricy heated bed, as shown by the computer history. :p

We were busy (or lazy..) and didn't drop it off at UPS in time.. So we ended up having to keep it. He has a double coat, though, so if we were going to spend that much on a bed.. I'd of rather gotten him a comfier non-heated bed. Bah.

Haha, anyways.. I think a cozy blanket and a bed that she can snuggle into would be fine! If you have kids (or know someone who does) and there's still a crib bumper around.. You could cut it to size and fit it around the crate to help keep any draft out.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions! She looks cozy in her crate - covered with a blanket and 2 fluffy ones inside. I may get a donut bed later; I've been meaning to get one that fits in her crate (we had some leftover oversized ones from the last dog). I actually had her on the bed to sit with us, but she wanted down to sleep in the crate. LOL. I guess we trained her well & she knows it's past bed time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.