Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know I have a litter of puppies that will be six weeks on Thursday. I have been planning on keeping all the pups as I did not breed to sell or give away pups. I did not intentionally breed but didn't do anything to prevent it either. Now, I am worried because I have read it can be detrimental to the mental health of the pups to stay with littermates and their mother. I was wondering if anyone had any information about this. I would appreciate any information on this matter... I feel so foolish I never would have thought this would have been a problem. I have done more research with these pups than I could have ever done in college and I am very worried. Thanks for any information.

·
Banned
112 Posts
Well then it would be a good idea to start advertising "Free to good home" and then carefully interview those who are interested. As a good option reach out to a rescue group. Do not just let them go to the ASPCA or any local shelter until a rescue group has been contacted.

Or, place an add and sell them for a smaller than normal fee to recoup the costs of feeding and any veterinary expenses incurred. But still interview the interested parties carefully for a good home environment and wether they have a back yard with a fenced in area, and have them sign off on an agreement to spay or neuter since you are not a breeder have no plans to be and this was not intended.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Though I wasn't responsible by keeping my dog from becoming pregnant. I have taken on the responsibilty from day one. This is why I planned on keeping the pups before they were even born. I have been doing everything to take care of these pups and and mother. This includes vet visits shots everything. So obviously I started to find them homes when I came across that particular information. I have found them all homes if need be and they consist of family and friends so I will be able to visit. I know they will have good homes. As I said I have been researching since I thought that Puppy was pregnant and for everything I have read I read something totally opposite. This is why I wanted some input from this ya'll as I have learned a lot here.
I would never dream of putting a puppy in a shelter... I have taken in strays until I have found them homes so I wouldn't have to call a dog catcher just for the dog to be put down.
Thanks for the information!

·
Registered
372 Posts
you are responsible as an owner to that dog to desex her. That is very irrisponsible. Unless you are a registered breeder doing all the health checks, dna testing and whatever problem comes with you breed you shouldnt let her breed. Is she even a registered dog, I would say no. Its no use feeling bad afterwards and keeping the entire litter cause now you feel guilty.

Why keep the whole litter, you cannot possibly take all for walks unless you have enough humans helping you. Why would you anyway, they are only 6 weeks old now and then they get very demanding as they continue to grow. You will be pulling your hair out in the end having so many naughty puppies terrorising the home.

Keep one or two, desex the rest and place them in a home for the price of desexing. Read my thread on Leos story and you will understand why its best to desex dogs cause they can end up in puppyfarms. It doesnt matter how careful you are, it can happen so desex and these people wont want your dogs.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My mom takes in strays and abandoned animals regularly. One day a woman she worked with came to her for help with a litter of mixed unplanned pups her outside female border collie had. She said her husband was going to drown them if she didn't get rid of them. He said the shelter would euthanize them anyway so he was just going to take care of the problem himself. There were 6 pups, mom found a home for two of them right off the bat, she had the other four for just over a year when someone contacted her looking for a young adult, the other three are nearly two years old now and are well socialized and functioning just fine. Granted they are not with the mother, so the situation is a little different, but as long as you socialize them with dogs outside your pack I wouldn't think you'd have any issues. However, I couldn''t imagine having more than two dogs myself. I would go out of my mind, some people can deal with it but it would just be too hectic for me. I don't think anyone would blame you for trying to find them good homes. And I'm sure the pups would enjoy the more personalized attention of going to a smaller family. Either way good luck, your a good mommy I'm sure you'll do what is best for them.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Now, I am worried because I have read it can be detrimental to the mental health of the pups to stay with littermates and their mother.

Oh and meant to answer this, dont know where the info come from but its the biggest bit of bull I have seen. I have kept one or two from my litters here and mothers due to showing my breeds. I cant see what or why its detremental to the mental health of the pups considering mine grow into happy well tempered dogs. Backyard bred dogs can be bad, you have no idea of what is in the lines, what comes with those lines, bad traits and genetic problems. Mine come from lines with excellent tempered dogs and genetically healthy.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It isn't that I feel guilty... that is NOT why I want to keep the pups... I love them and since I do not have a full time job (I am a photographer) I AM capable of giving each of them the individual attention they need. I live on 48 acres of land with a two acre pond/lake where they will have plenty of room to run, play and explore. I really would like to keep them all and they will all be spayed and neutered ASAP.
Thank you for all your help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts