Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had 1 cat in my life, before 2005. Her name was Ashley, a grey tuxedo I rescued off the streets when she was about a year old. She lived to be 21. It totally broke my heart when I put her to sleep. But about 4 months later, I decided my income and my home would allow for me to get another cat that might otherwise not have that chance.

So, in 2005, I adopted, what the shelter said was 'a very sweet 6 1/2 year old cat'

Lies upon Lies!!!! :p or if I wish to be kind about it, 'overly optimistic in their assessment of this cat....lol.

Her name at the shelter was Cleo..which I didn't really care for, and when I learned of her past, I renamed her Kayla to help her get past her bad memories. I learned she came from an abusive home where the man of the house kicked her often and the children tormented her. She was a nervous wreck for the first 2 years I owned her. Sometimes she would crawl up on my lap and I could pet her...but at first, if I even got near her tail she would freak. I think the kids use to pull on her tail.

After having my lovable, sweet Ashley for so many years, the personality differences between the two had me wondering if I had made a huge mistake in taking Kayla in. She was cranky, didn't trust me, and half the time when she was on my lap I didn't know if I should try to pet her or leave her along as either way it usually ended with her hissing and spiting and scrambling away...leaving bloody trails in my skin as she did so.

But, as the years wore on, she came to trust me, and then to want my company and learned she could gently jump down when she wanted to and not just sudden shoot off my lap in a whirlwind of claws and hissing. I suspect the kids use to hold on to her, even when she wanted to be let go, and so that was what she learned to do when she wanted to get away from people.

I took Kayla to the vet many times over the years and the vet seems to think that Kayla was probably more like 8 or 9 when I adopted her and not 6 1/2 as the shelter did. ( I think they look at those animals sometimes with rose colored glasses in hopes to get them adopted out...lol.)

Anyway, Kayla ended up being 'my girl' and while it took time, I came to love her deeply, just because she was a cranky old witch on the outside but inside she truly loved me and showed me her love...while the rest of the world just got to see her nasty mean cranky side.

I found out on Thursday that Kayla has bone cancer. And while she's probably 18 to 19 years old, her hearing is great, so is her eye sight, she barely has any arthritis issues and no dementia. She was still running zoomies through the house just a few weeks ago.. down the hall, up the kitty condo, up on the the piano jumping over the t.v and down on the floor and down the hall... Not the kind of activity one would expect from an 18 or 19 year old cat.

So this cancer stuff just stunned me and I'm rather bitter about it all...I think it would different if she was acting old, and was pretty blind and deaf...ect...
I've been crying so much, I'm almost sick from it. I've lost plenty of animals in my life and always it hurts.

But just like when I lost Harper, the dog in my avatar, due to diabetes...this bone cancer with Kayla...it's just so much harder because both animals should have had several more good years left in them.

I'm getting a grave dug tomorrow for Kayla and next week, the vet will come to my home and put her to sleep. I'm just glad my vet will do that and Kayla's last hour won't be spend being afraid due to a car trip and going into the vet's office. Right now her bone cancer has showed up in her left front leg...it's swollen 3 times bigger than it should be and her leg is like rock hard...but she's not running a temperature and while it's hard to walk as she can't bend her elbow, she doesn't seem to be in pain - but she is uncomfortable....and I don't want it to get past that point. I could probably let her live for another month or so, but it would be pointless to do so.

This is Kayla, I love greys....sometimes they look brownish, or grey, or silver, or even bluish in color - she did anyways.

This was her animal shelter photo as it appeared in PetFinder.

Once I got her home and she relaxed and ate well and was groomed more often her coat got softer and took on a nice shine that it didn't have at the shelter.

Stormy

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Oh @StormyPeak, what a story!! I hate how badly some people treat animals, thank goodness for people like you who turn around the lives of these beautiful creatures. Next week will be hard for you, there is no doubt about that, but what you are doing is showing Kayla that final act of love for her, you are putting your feelings aside to do the right thing by her. Thank you for giving Kayla the good life she deserved & for also giving her the pain free end she deserves :huddle:
ETA Kayla is beautiful!!!

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kayla was put to sleep this evening, at home where she felt safe.

She went gently... and will be deeply missed and dearly remembered.

Stormy

·
Registered
155 Posts
Sorry for your loss. She was gorgeous.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I'm so sorry! She had a long, happy life with you, and 18 is a ripe old age for a kitty. Though I do know the feeling of having to let go too soon--My kitties were both only 13 when I had to say goodbye to them. The one it was a really huge shock, just like with your Kayla, and it's now been just about a year, and I'm still missing him like crazy.

Huge hugs to you. Hold tight to those memories, and hopefully your pups give you some extra love while you need it.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you, everyone.

This has been a long long week for me. I try not to cry around my animals...all that does is stress them as they know I'm unhappy but they don't know why or what to do about it. So, most of my crying was done when Kayla was asleep in another room, and then of course, after she was gone.

I'm still getting a few bouts of crying in every day...and probably will for another week or so...given I've had to put pets down before and knowing how I deal with it all.

I wrote to the animal shelter where I adopted her from (a place about 200 miles from where I live) and told them how things went with Kayla and I after the adoption...and that she had passed and thanked them for letting me adopt her...given I didn't live in their area.

They sent a note back, thanking me for letting them know, and wished every person who adopted a pet would be so kind as to let them know what happens to these animals...some of whom the shelter folks do remember. In Kayla's case she was at the shelter for over a year before I got her...and they at the time thought she might not ever get adopted because of her age, and being just a 'plain grey cat' with no flashy colors and an introverted personality. She didn't come forward to say hi to people like many cats do...and usually it's the friendly cats that get adopted.

Kayla's passing has also been a little harder for me too, just because of her personality...most family members that visit usually get to know each other's pets and can morn their loss - but Kayla would usually hiss and run if people approached her...so I feel in this case, that my family has kind of just brushed this death aside...as they had zero attachment to her....but at the same time...they haven't thought about how terrible I feel...and unlike other pets I've lost, none have called and told me they were sorry I lost a beloved pet.

It really adds another hurt onto the hurt I'm already feeling. I know they don't need to fake sorrow over an animal they had no feelings for...but at least they could have offered me some word of comfort...just because I am their sister and am going through a hard time. The word disappointment barely describes how I feel. : (

So, again, your words of kindness really meant a lot to me.

Stormy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.