Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
"Tried to insert picture here but I can t get it to work with my mobile?"

Hello everyone, This is Kaiya. She is a Borgi, her dad is pure border collie and her mom is a Borgi( half border, half corgi). She was born Sept 23 so she is still very young, her eyes are not even open yet! I have had the privilege to have met her three times already as her breeder is local. I will be taking her home end of nov when she is 9 weeks old and i can t wait! She is my first puppy as the only other dog I have had was when I was very young.
I know it is early but I am trying to be prepared ahead of time and am hoping for some pointers and advice.
Here is what i have decided so far;
- I will be crate training
- I will take a week off work when I get her
- I have chosen a potty word and spot for her in the yard
- I want to use a harness to walk her when she is older
-I want to use entirely positive training and will try my hand at clicker training also
-I plan to feed her with food ball's and other food toys
-she will be coming to work with me untill she is old enough to hold it till my lunch break.
-she will be grain free
-she will be on monthly heartworm and flea/tick preventative ..not sure which yet tho!

Anything to add? :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Looks like you have everything down, but just train train train! With the border collie part they can be hyper but also willing to learn! Take her to class, work at home, let her meet stranger when on a walk, and introduce her to other dogs.

With the clicker training make sure you have it down. Sometimes it can me more confusing for the dog if you aren't sure if you should click or not and if you click on accident.

I hope this helps :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your furbaby!
Definitely sounds like you've got it all figured out. All I can suggest is putting your little one on a schedule and consistency is key! Would love to see some pictures of her! :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, I will be making a schedule for sure and I do plan to go to puppy classes and post online for puppy play dates. Also I would love to post pics as she grows but I am limited to my mobile at this time and I can't seem to post a pic in either mobile or full version :s

·
Registered
713 Posts
Just be careful with heartworm medication since she's part Border Collie and they can have a sensitivity to Ivermectin.
If she is an MDR1 gene mutant or carrier there are a couple of other meds to be careful with, including some anesthetics. Most of the heartworm meds are dosed low enough that they are safe for collie breeds, including those that are affected by the gene mutation. ideally the best thing would be to have your pup tested to find out their MDR1 gene status, that way you know what precautions you need to take.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts