Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started my little chi on "down" last night. I lured him with the treat 4 or 5 times, (clicking when I got the down), and then he started offering the behavior! I've honestly never had such an easy time with down. I'm thrilled and surprised that he is so bright--he got sit, with the word association, after three very short sessions. Obviously I've been prey to tiny dog prejudice, based on the observation of owners who couldn't be bothered to train their toy dogs, and horror stories about housetraining.

Anyone else have great chi training stories to share?

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Congrats!!!

I know how you feel!! An unnamed family member on my SO's side-had two chi's. Both untrained (I tried suggesting classes-very nicely-they laughed and said they would fail!!! UMn-that's a reason TO DO it!! *rolls eyes*) and absolute terrors. The one, if he were a bigger dog, someone would be dead-and I'm not exaggerating. The other has anxiety issues. Cooing to him and treating him for cowering-not exactly working... So I can say I am in the same boat in terms of prejudice LOL :p

They are super smart though!! Another family member on the same side has two as well. She did classes with them, watches all the shows and reads books (these are her first dogs-she's a converted cat person) and she's doing a wonderful job with them. The female in particular picks up tricks in a few minutes.
My fav trick she does-dance. So cute, she hops around in circles on her back feet :)

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Started my little chi on "down" last night. I lured him with the treat 4 or 5 times, (clicking when I got the down), and then he started offering the behavior! I've honestly never had such an easy time with down. I'm thrilled and surprised that he is so bright--he got sit, with the word association, after three very short sessions. Obviously I've been prey to tiny dog prejudice, based on the observation of owners who couldn't be bothered to train their toy dogs, and horror stories about housetraining.

Anyone else have great chi training stories to share?
My 2 chi's do tricks well but I also have horror stories about housetraining :p

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
My two chi mixes are a dream to train as well... Iam very happy with them...

I love having the moment where a stranger is petting them and they say they've never been able to pet a chi before....its nice to have friendly examples to show the world they aren't all obnoxious ankle biters.

Iam very happy your enjoying your new little one!!

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
My two chi mixes are a dream to train as well... Iam very happy with them...

I love having the moment where a stranger is petting them and they say they've never been able to pet a chi before....its nice to have friendly examples to show the world they aren't all obnoxious ankle biters.

Iam very happy your enjoying your new little one!!
We get this a lot with Wendy, Tinkerbell is a little weird with strangers, but Wendy LOVES kids...we went to the dog park once and she spotted a little boy and ran UP the agility steps to where he was and laid down next to him and got so excited and have him tons of kisses. His mom and dad were amazed, the whole time she hung out with him lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts