Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just started raw recently and the switch is going well. I currently do 50/50 kibble/raw but plan to switch to completely raw eventually.

He is getting pretty high bone for now about 25-30%. I heard this ok for a couple weeks until he transitions and then I can slowly adjust the bone closer to the ideal 10-15% is that right?

Right now in my rotation for proteins are chicken,turkey,beef and tripe.

The other proteins currently available to me are duck, pork, lamb, goat and rabbit.

My question is are there certain proteins that are better to include in his diet?

My husband has a seafood phobia lol, so I rather not store fresh seafood in the freezer but should I get canned sardines or some other seafood and add in to his diet weekly? Should I also be adding in eggs weekly too?

As far as organs I plan to introduce those 2 weeks into his diet. I am starting out with liver. Alternately I plan to introduce kidney. Are these two organs ok as 10% of his diet or should I be including other organs like brain, spleen, etc.?

Thanks for any help! I'm new to all this raw stuff so any feedback is appreciated!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Duck pork and lamb are all great proteins to feed. A minimum of four proteins is best in rotations, and the more red meats the better. They are the most nutritious. Fatty meats are needed since dogs use fat for energy.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
beef is also a fatty food. I have had to introduce fatty meats into my little dogs diet she went from 5.9kg to 5.7kg which was ideal then over time she dropped to 5.3kg just got her to 5.6kg and she looks better. To do that ive had to introduce beef , give some lamb. i actually got lamb briskets coming with some duck necks to try to try keep the weight on her whilst drop to 2.7% of her weight from 3%.

Only thing is with Jessie is too much fatty food= bad gas-loose stool so ive to balance it carefully. When introducing liver and kidney might be best to start at say for example 4g to see how the dog does i have to increase it so slowly by 4gm every week or two or loose stool and bad gas. just thought id give heads up there. im no expert like @naturalfeddogs as im a newbie to balancing it myself but i learnt hard way with organs and missing a bone in meal and going too fast with protiens with my girl Jessie!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Duck pork and lamb are all great proteins to feed. A minimum of four proteins is best in rotations, and the more red meats the better. They are the most nutritious. Fatty meats are needed since dogs use fat for energy.
Thanks I'll try those proteins next! So the beef I get is 80 beef 20 tripe with liver and heart. This as was going to give as his boneless meat daily...then I was going to rate weekly bone in chicken, turkey,duck,etc. I was slowly introduce another organ too.

So is giving the beef tripe mix daily OK for his boneless meal and roaring the bone in meals with the other proteins?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
beef is also a fatty food. I have had to introduce fatty meats into my little dogs diet she went from 5.9kg to 5.7kg which was ideal then over time she dropped to 5.3kg just got her to 5.6kg and she looks better. To do that ive had to introduce beef , give some lamb. i actually got lamb briskets coming with some duck necks to try to try keep the weight on her whilst drop to 2.7% of her weight from 3%.

Only thing is with Jessie is too much fatty food= bad gas-loose stool so ive to balance it carefully. When introducing liver and kidney might be best to start at say for example 4g to see how the dog does i have to increase it so slowly by 4gm every week or two or loose stool and bad gas. just thought id give heads up there. im no expert like @naturalfeddogs as im a newbie to balancing it myself but i learnt hard way with organs and missing a bone in meal and going too fast with protiens with my girl Jessie!
Thanks for the feedback! Yeah I plan to introduce different proteins and especially organs very slowly for that reason!

·
Premium Member
3,829 Posts
Thanks I'll try those proteins next! So the beef I get is 80 beef 20 tripe with liver and heart. This as was going to give as his boneless meat daily...then I was going to rate weekly bone in chicken, turkey,duck,etc. I was slowly introduce another organ too.

So is giving the beef tripe mix daily OK for his boneless meal and roaring the bone in meals with the other proteins?
With the liver and heart in that mix, you may get some runny stools. They're very rich. If so, you can try doing the bone meal right before. If that doesn't work, you can add a turkey/duck neck to the beef meal to help keep things a little more solid.

Reactions: naturalfeddogs

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! The liver/heart accounts for only 10% of the beef/tripe mix: 5%liver,5% heart so I figured he would get at least half his needed organ percentage that way and then I would add kidney during the week to account for the other 5% organ for an 80/10/10 diet. The meats he gets for now are grounds. So basically this is what I had planned for the month:

Week 1: beef/tripe/liver/heart mix and bone in chicken
Week 2: beef/tripe/liver/heart mix and bone in turkey
Week 3: beef/tripe/liver/heart mix and bone in duck
Week 4: beef/tripe/liver/heart mix and bone in lamb

Once a week I would substitute a turkey neck for the bone in meal for dental benefits. I also plan to add kidney once or twice a week for the other 5% organ needed besides the liver.

What do you think?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I typically feed canned sardines or canned wild salmon two meals per week. I give eggs once per week. Salmon/Sardines are excellent additions and In my option essential if your not supplementing with omega 3 supplements

1 - 8 of 8 Posts