Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My terrier mix, Sandy, loves to follow her nose, chasing after little critters into the woods, typical behavior. Today was hilarious; she chased a chipmunk or something into a little burrow. Started digging at it, tearing out roots with her teeth to dig deeper, deep enough to fit her entire head in the hole. She then started “snort-huffing and puffing” into the hole, over and over. I was laughing so hard! Was she just trying to “smoke” the critter out? What is the huffing for?

·
Super Moderator
1,631 Posts
The name terrier is from the word terra meaning earth - terriers were bred to hunt small furries, using their paws to dig if necessary.

I don't suppose it's the same in the US but here, our views on wildlife would lead us to discourage and prevent the hunting of small animals like this.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just thought the snorting into hole was interesting, she has never caught anything, nor do we train her to do so. Our town allows for hunting, but we do not. She a rescued stray, and her presence certainly has lessened the amount of squirrels and chipmunks around the house. They have plenty of roaming ground in the many acres of woods where we live, we just don’t want them close to the house, as they can get into the attic or drain pipes. This has happened before and electrical was chewed up, some died inside the walls. So we do celebrate the dog for chasing them away from the perimeter.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Such a happy doggy you have :giggle:
My dog does the same noise when he hes digging around tree stumps or fallen dead stumps for rats.
I would love so much to have squirrels and chipmunks in australia. They look like they have so much character. Id love to sit in a park watching them run around, jesse on lead of course.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My dog does the same noise when he hes digging around tree stumps or fallen dead stumps for rats.
I would love so much to have squirrels and chipmunks in australia. They look like they have so much character. Id love to sit in a park watching them run around, jesse on lead of course.
its best to admire from afar, they can be pests when they’re so close to your house. However, Australia has a reputation for all kinds of creatures, so I’m sure it wouldn’t be too bad! 😂

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I think the snorting helps them smell better - by blowing air into the dirt the scent will come out of it. It's probably also related to breathing, as when you sniff you breathe in and they are wanting to breathe out quickly so they can inhale the smell again.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think the snorting helps them smell better - by blowing air into the dirt the scent will come out of it. It's probably also related to breathing, as when you sniff you breathe in and they are wanting to breathe out quickly so they can inhale the smell again.
That makes a lot of sense (scents), how Punny. 😂

·
Registered
12 Posts
The Bull Terrier is suitable for living in apartment conditions, but because of its hyperactive nature, they like to run and jump in the yard. Should give them enough space to delight play and exercise. If it is taken outside, it is best to leash it and must put a muzzle on the muzzle for them because this Bull terrier is very easy to fight with other strange animals when outdoors.

·
Super Moderator
1,631 Posts
If it is taken outside, it is best to leash it and must put a muzzle on the muzzle for them because this Bull terrier is very easy to fight with other strange animals when outdoors.
Could you please explain this further, with some references as evidence?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Ive got two hunting breeds and they both like to huff... George more so than Murphy although if Murphy scents a mole its game on..
George will huff huff huff and then if he looses the trail he will snort as if to clear any false leads before setting off on the hunt again.

Hunting isnt allowed here unless you have a licence so thats why we keep our dogs on leads while in the countryside.

It is nice to see them exhibiting the behaviour they were bred for ..although without the end result..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts