Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really, really hoping someone can help!
I just rescued my 4 lb long hair Chi, Molly, from our local animal shelter. She must be spayed before she can come home with me on September 5th. I went to visit her today and noticed she was biting and itching herself. I combed through her coat and found about a million flea eggs!! I brought this to the attention of the vet tech and let her know that not only was Molly obviously uncomfortable, but that she needed a bath and flea treatment before she was spayed as I cannot bathe her after the surgery. I’m worried that she won’t be treated before surgery and have to suffer until then in addition to bringing her home with fleas. In the event that she’s not treated for fleas, can anyone recommend a safe treatment I can do at home? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello Heidi078,

First of congratulations on your new rescue Molly! From the sounds of it, she is going to a loving home. Ideally, she should be treated for any fleas, ticks, worms etc. before leaving the rescue.

If you are able check up on her at least one or two more times before the final day of pickup/surgery. To ensure the rescue does their job.
On the occasion they do not treat her there are a few solutions...

1. Sentinel Flavor Tabs: (Pill 4 weeks old minimum age)
2. Capstar: Pill (4 weeks old minimum age)
3. Trifexis: Pill (8 weeks old minimum age)

Generally, each of these are 1-month doses. I would recommend going with one of the top two then once Molly is 8 weeks old switch over to Trifexis.
I hope this helps and wish you the best of luck!

-UnShackledPit

·
Super Moderator
3,670 Posts
Ask the shelter if they would allow you to bring her home on a "medical waver" with a commitment to return to the shelter for the spay surgery once you've treated her for fleas. Also, regardless, make an appointment for her to see your own private vet as soon as possible. Many vets will discount your first visit when you are adopting from a shelter.

It's awesome that you are a adopting a rescue dog. Molly is very fortunate. A great book to read is:

https://www.amazon.com/Love-Limit-Welcoming-Adopted-into-Your/dp/1891767143/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3PDMDAIR2J1CJ&keywords=love+has+no+age+limit+welcoming+an+adopted+dog+into+your+home&qid=1567281469&s=gateway&sprefix=love+has+no+,aps,187&sr=8-1

·
Registered
50 Posts
To solve this type of Concern you have to follow this thing or have to remember it.

Going nontoxic.
Groom your pets regularly.
Clean, clean, clean.
Take preemptive steps in your yard and garden.
Be wary of products marketed as “natural.”
Ask about oral flea-prevention treatments.
Identify safer ingredients.
Be wary of flea collars.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts