Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....to people who will understand.

I'm a 21 year old college student, I work part time and I have three dogs. It's work but I am reasonably successful at managing all three. I utilize dog parks, which I know is controversial but I always observe before going in, and leave quickly if I get even the slightest hint of problems whether my dogs are involved or not.

Today a group of college-age people brought their four pitties to the park. They were already there when Quenya and I arrived and I waited to see how the whole situation was going before we went in. We ended up not going in at all until they left--30 minutes later. Several other people walked up with their dogs, saw what was going on and left.

The owners. did. nothing. No, no, they didn't do nothing...they laughed. LAUGHED when the dogs interacted inappropriately, ganged up, pinned a Lab mix twice their size on the ground and generally terrorized the dog park.

These were sweet dogs, and for bullies they did remarkably well, but they are on a downward spiral when it comes to learning appropriate dog behavior. All four pitties obviously knew each other, although I'm not sure if this group were all roomies or just friends. So the four pitties teamed up on any other dog in there, snarling, playing rough, pinning, humping, fixating on whichever dog took their fancy until another one came in.

The owners did NOTHING.NOTHING.NOTHING. I'm so ticked off just typing it because they were on their cell phones or chatting with each other--one even LEFT THE DOG PARK, and trusted that her friend would watch her dog. Haha "watch" the dog.

I love bullies and it really upsets me to see they practically being trained to be socially inappropriate. That's the last thing the breed needs, because these were good dogs. They stopped themselves from physically injuring any of the other dogs seriously which is honestly saying something when you have a pack of four ganging up. Although it's true most of the other dog owners left with their dogs when they realized what was going on.

I just can't get over the idea that these people were just like me. My age, hanging with friends, talking about finals week, and owning dogs...and so inept and incompetent. A friend came with me and I couldn't help but talk very loudly to "her" about the inappropriate actions of the dogs and owners. They heard me and gave me a disgusted look but didn't care.

I don't usually get seriously ticked off, it's just not my temperament...but today...I mean I was ready to take a baseball bat to their cars. And maybe them, too.

I've never seen someone at a dog park let their dog, time after time after time after time after time, be so socially inappropriate. The only explanation I can think of is that they were high or something. How could a normal person let that go on?

Ugh, I'm stopping now, and sorry for the rambling on. I don't even want to start a hate rant on dog parks--I LIKE dog parks, and mine is usually so much better than this. That might be a small part of why this upset me so much.

Life goes on, I know :/

·
Registered
441 Posts
I don't blame you,at all,I would be furious !You are right,it is this kind of behaviour that gives these breeds a bad name....

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Oh, there is a reason that these energetic, active and high-maintenance (special needs like da and reactivity) dogs are so popular they are overwhelming shelters across North America: they look cool, act tough and give their owners the desired image. Honestly I think that most of those that don't view them as dangerous simply consider them an accessory. Yesterday it was the Rottweiler, before that it was the Doberman pinscher and tomorrow it will be the mal or the ovarchka or some other breed totally inappropriate for novices.

I feel your exasperation. As a small dog owner, it's terrifying to see some giggling 18 year old dudebro holding onto his bull by a thread as it lunges and growls at my wimpy, fluffy Pomeranian. And I think that those who cater to the crowd by breeding up batches for these trend-chasing owners are jerks in the worst way. Bullies are by no means bad dogs but this sense of power and respect felt by their owners as people cross to the other side of the road or clear out the dog park for them is exactly how we wound up with a staggering surplus of a dog that most of all deserves an informed and courteous owner.

/end rant!

·
Registered
531 Posts
I would have been spitting out of my mouth as I was walking over to them! :mad:

Jeez! People in general piss me off but people like that just send me over the edge and someone would be "getting it"! Verbally... (hopefully)! :mad:

Poor dogs is all I say because this is a downwards spiral that can end deadly for them in the future! :(

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
We have the same problem, only with labs. Almost every single person at our dog parks here has a very inappropriate labrador, or lab mix, that they take to the park. It's why I avoid the parks. I went once with a friend, and was laughed at for taking Tessa to the car because she was acting inappropriately (yep, I time outed her lol). I haven't been back. Too many stupid people. They think the second the dog is off leash and running around their due diligence is over, because the dog is getting exercise so they start texting, or go and sit in the care because it's to cold or hot.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Ugh, I completely understand your frustration! It seems like some people have absolutely no sense of responsibility. I don't go to dog parks anymore because the last time I was there, a dog-walker decided it would be a good idea to bring in a full-grown, muzzled doberman (along with who knows how many dogs she was walking).. The poor dog was so scared, it was trying to take cover behind a tree and kept barking at the dogs who came near. It's a shame because Riley's such a socially-adept dog and yet he rarely gets to play.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
That's horrible and outrageous. I would think everyone who had dogs being bullied would have left and called the authorities and reported them.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I stupid hate people. I hate young people who give the rest of us a bad name. I hate irresponsible bully owners since I'm in love with the "breed" and can't have one because of BSL which are laws made by and for stupid people. Ugh. Feel my burning fury...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts