Dog Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a couple pear trees and 4 apple trees in my back garden. I can't eat them all, I'd be so sick of them, so now and then I'll grab an apple or a pear and eat it. Ozzy's always out with me so I usually bite off a few pieces and feed him some. Then the rest I throw into the pile to decompose.

What's interesting is that (and it happened 3 times at least), Ozzy will go find the exact apple or pear that I was chewing. He brings it to the lawn part of the garden like it's a treasure lol. Out of all the fruit in the pile, he grabs the exact fruit that I chewed on and only those fruit.

Anyone have an interesting story of their dog using their nose on their own?

Registered
Not sure if this is the type of story you're looking for....
So, one year we had mice 馃あ my dad was trying to get my first Aussie Tess wound up by chanting, "Where the mouse, Tess? Where's the mouse?" He did not get her wound up.
He did get her to give him a look, start sniffing, take a few steps in a zigzag pattern. She looks back at him, makes sure he is following. He does, and they repeat this a bit. She stops, looks at a gap between the cabinet and wall, looks at him. Lo and behold, there was a mouse in a trap. We never trained her in any type of nosework, or the word "mouse."

Registered
Oakley found a short stick (piece of a tree branch) on our walk a few days ago, picked it up and carried for about half a block. Now, on our walks he looks for that stick, almost seems to remember where he left it, there are others, but no other will do, picks it up, carries and chews on it a bit while we walk, then drops it somewhere to find next time he goes that way.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Shadowfox That's great! It's pretty obvious (to me I think) she knew what he was asking even if she didn't get wound up like he planned. She just casually said "Here it is dad!". So cute.

Yesterday I was sitting in the front training Ozzy while he was tied out to get accustomed to ppl and dogs walking by. I brought out his bully stick for him to chew if he wanted which he didn't because he was more interested in watching everything. Later that evening I remembered about the stick but it was too dark for me to find even with the porch light on. I'm always looking for something, usually my phone lol, so he is used to me walking all around looking. I said to him "where's your stick" as I was feeling the ground not expecting him to find it. Almost immediately he had found the stick and picked it up! I was so impressed he got a big "good boy" and "bring it inside". He was so proud of himself lol, and so was I.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oakley found a short stick (piece of a tree branch) on our walk a few days ago, picked it up and carried for about half a block. Now, on our walks he looks for that stick, almost seems to remember where he left it, there are others, but no other will do, picks it up, carries and chews on it a bit while we walk, then drops it somewhere to find next time he goes that way.
That's adorable! His little quirk. I always got a kick out of dogs carrying a stick or toy while out on their walks. I think it's so cute! Amazing that he remembers and grabs the exact same one!

Registered
A friend was visiting in my fenced- in dog yard several weeks ago, her dog and my dogs running around. Suddenly my friend's dog, a border collie, has a big fat marrow bone in her mouth - the kind you buy for dogs. Now, I have never given that kind of bone to my dogs, and I have lived in this house for 12 years. I know it had to have been buried, because I never saw it, and I know every inch of my property and what is where. And it was prior to the rains, which could have washed it into the yard. How on earth she was able to smell that out to dig it up is a testament to the unimaginably amazing sense of smell that dogs have.

One time I was travelling with my ball-loving border collie and stopped by the side of the road to let him pee. He dived into the grass by the road and disappeared at a run. This was not at all typical of him, and I called him back....and again....and finally he burst out with a rubber ball in his mouth, "Look what I found, boss!! You gonna throw it for me now??"

I really get a kick out of seeing a dog walking with something in his mouth, too, Schnauzaluv. :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Madra Cool stories! I don't doubt that they can find something yummy lightly buried, I am so amazed almost everyday. I love being impressed by them, really shows how much they are listening and how much they rely on that nose!

But how did your BC sniff out the random ball? I have no idea how they have a scent unless it's the material they are made of? Amazing!

Registered
I know....how did he find that ball? Smell, of course......but was he smelling the rubber, the dog who used to have it (if a dog even had it) or what? It was not right next to where we parked, either, but a ways off in the tall grass and brush. I was just flabbergasted at that and there was no one with me to witness it.

Registered
My golden retriever, Milo, had a 'thing' for laundry, but only my laundry. He would flip up the lid on the laundry hamper, dive in and search for something that I had worn -be it a t-shirt, a sock, or (of course - the underwear). He never chewed anything, just took whatever he found and laid down on top of it, keeping it safe from the other dogs, if he moved to a different spot he would take it with him, and lay on it again.
One time he took both of my shoes from near the back door, and left them in the bedroom. I went to put on my shoes, Milo is standing there looking at me, expecting to go for a walk, I said to him 'Where is my shoe?' he looked at me, and promptly trotted off to the bedroom, returning with one shoe in his mouth. I thanked him and then asked him 'Where is the other one?' he promptly trotted off and came back with the other one 'Good boy! Thank you! Now we can go for a walk!'
One morning, I watched as he took my hubby's slipper and dropped it outside, (he never took my stuff outside), when hubby got up he asked about where his slipper was, I said ' Maybe ask Milo.' He did, and Milo stood looking at him, tail wagging, but not moving an inch. I said 'Milo, I think you should go find Dad's slipper.' He immediately headed out the door, and returned a few minutes later with the slipper, dropping it at his Dad's feet. 'There it is!'

Registered
That's so funny @CachetheBC! Thanks for sharing. I guess they DO really remember what they do sometimes and can make a connection between words. So cool!
I think dogs are a lot smarter (and understand a lot more) than most people give them credit for.

Registered
I think my dog was around 6 months old, I was over at my neighbor's house and my dog laid on the grass next to the driveway.

My neighbor, being his usual cantankerous, onry self, said hey, I didn't say your dog could lay on my grass...

The dog got up immediately and moved to the driveway and laid down again. The look on his face was priceless!

Registered
I have had people comment to me that it's amazing my dogs "seem to understand what you say". Like, if someone says to them "You guys can't come out right now", they will stop looking at the door, and then the person says I have amazing dogs.

Well, of course I think I have the best dogs in the universe. But all of my dogs have been able to discern what I am saying, or what others say, to them. I always tell people who are amazed, that their dog would probably be like that as well if:
they trained the dog
they spent a lot of time with the dog
And most of all:
they made a point of talking to the dog a lot, like saying "you can come with me" or, "you can't go this time".

Talk to the dog and the dog will learn to understand you. Pretty simple.
Dogs are so much more on all levels than people have typically given them credit for being.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We had a mini schnauzer while growing up, her name was Kandi and she was jet black. My great uncle (80+YO) lived with us for a couple years while he couldn't do it alone anymore. We (the kids) went to school, my parents worked, and my great uncle spent all his time with Kandi and watching TV. He used to talk to himself and to the TV, so naturally he was always talking to Kandi too. Eventually and I swear I'm not exaggerating, he would tell her to do all sorts of things, even in succession, "like go look out the window and take a drink". It really hardly mattered what he said, she always complied happily.

I fully agree @Madra Anamchara, I also talk a lot to my dogs and always so amazed at how much of the language they pick up. You can see them listening to you, tilting their heads from side to side lol.

Registered
If we are going out and the dogs can't come, Joseph, our lab mix, knows all the signs but waits until we say 'You guys got to stay, we'll be back.' then with his head hanging low, he heads for the bedroom and closes (slams) the door.

Registered
Tess was always pretty intuitive.
This was from my Mom, since I was at school at that moment. My grandmother was staying with us, and she was in a cooking mood. She got tired of Tess wanting in and out of the yard and being underfoot in the kitchen.
She stopped, looked at her, and said, "I'm not going to keep letting you in and out. Pick one. And stay out of the kitchen." * makes shooing motion*

And Tess picked to stay inside and watch her cook with beautiful manners. Being fed bites of sausage and egg pro ably helped. But, it's now a life skill for all our dogs.

Registered
A friend was visiting in my fenced- in dog yard several weeks ago, her dog and my dogs running around. Suddenly my friend's dog, a border collie, has a big fat marrow bone in her mouth - the kind you buy for dogs. Now, I have never given that kind of bone to my dogs, and I have lived in this house for 12 years. I know it had to have been buried, because I never saw it, and I know every inch of my property and what is where. And it was prior to the rains, which could have washed it into the yard. How on earth she was able to smell that out to dig it up is a testament to the unimaginably amazing sense of smell that dogs have.

One time I was travelling with my ball-loving border collie and stopped by the side of the road to let him pee. He dived into the grass by the road and disappeared at a run. This was not at all typical of him, and I called him back....and again....and finally he burst out with a rubber ball in his mouth, "Look what I found, boss!! You gonna throw it for me now??"

I really get a kick out of seeing a dog walking with something in his mouth, too, Schnauzaluv. :)
My previous dog sara would bury a fresh bone everytime we gave her one and she would always dig it up a week later 2 eat馃あ
Every now and then she would take a large piece of bread from our ducks and bury it and dig it up about a month or so later.
She once dug up a goldfish and plonked it on the loungeroom floor that was buried a few weeks earlier

1 - 20 of 22 Posts