Dog Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Our younger dog, Vlad, is just about 2.5 years now. When we got him we were told his mother was a full Malamute and his father was mostly Siberian with some wolf. We pretty much rolled our eyes at that and didn't give much thought to it. He was cute and playful and healthy and that's really all we cared about. We've had several comments over the last couple years about his looks and behaviors that, again, we pretty much just ignored.

However, I recently saw an article about a low-content malamute/husky/arctic wolf mix and noticed some similarities to my boy. We've always gotten comments on our dog's tail, how he has a definite "prowl" to the way he walks, and people are just generally very wary of him... which is crazy for us, because he's a giant teddy bear whereas our older girl (unknown rescue, but heavy on the Siberian) is always getting approached and she's actually the cranky one.

^From this past August, he'd shed all of his undercoat at this point, so very thinned out.

^Taken today - you can see he's fluffed up quite a bit now that's it's getting quite cold where we live.

All of these show his tail at about the highest it ever is, it almost always just hangs straight down though, which is something I have always found unusual (having had some experience with huskies before), but always just attributed to his malamute genetics (which I have zero prior experience with).

Like it says, I'm just curious, it's not a big deal to us either way. We love our sweet, dopey lug regardless. Just wondered what people with a little more experience with wolf hybrids thought, since it's something we get asked all the time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Also from today. Was having issues with the photos and for some reason it won't let me edit the original post again to add this one.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'm no expert, but I don't see wolf in him at all. I have a shepherd/husky and he's very prowl-y and hangs his tail too. It creeps people out because he doesn't wag his tail when he runs up to them and they feel like they're going to get eaten !
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm no expert, but I don't see wolf in him at all. I have a shepherd/husky and he's very prowl-y and hangs his tail too. It creeps people out because he doesn't wag his tail when he runs up to them and they feel like they're going to get eaten !
Posted via Mobile Device
That is EXACTLY why everyone is always commenting that he's so "wolfish", his tail isn't very expressive and he has an intimidating stance. People are very put-off by him. Hell, we haven't had a delivery actually make it to our door since he was 6 months old...

·
Registered
286 Posts
i think he is proberbly a husky malamute cross. he looks quite chunky and has a "strong" head, and his tail is quite fluffy. it might just look like it, because he has his winter coat. im my experience, pure husky's are daintier. he is stunning none the less. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh yeah, my parents and a few family friends have pure huskies and they are way more dainty than he is. He's definitely got the malamute fluff going on, especially right now. I'm just curious if anyone sees any low-content wolf to him - I have always assumed it was just a sales tactic (since it usually is) but we get it so often, even from people who do have husky/mal experience, that I was curious what others thought.

·
Registered
286 Posts
i cant say if it is just a sales tactic where you are, but it certainly would be here in the uk. every time i read stuff like that...."part wolf dog", im thinking where do people get these wolfs from to breed the dogs with??? do private owners have wolfs where you are? and would a wolf really breed with a dog?

·
Registered
406 Posts
I see Siberian and Malamute, but no wolf. It's not uncommon for people to think of wolves when they see either of those breeds, or mixes of them.

Funny what you said about people being wary of him- we had the same experience when we lived at a camp ad had our Sibe/GSD mix, more so from inner city people (this was back in the mid to late 80s when wolfdogs were a "thing" in the populated areas around here.). He was the gentlest, sweetest dog around.

·
Registered
286 Posts
i think even if it was a stray dog, if it encountered wolfs in the wild, they would probably kill it rather than breed with it. just my opinion.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I see Siberian and Malamute, but no wolf. It's not uncommon for people to think of wolves when they see either of those breeds, or mixes of them.

Funny what you said about people being wary of him- we had the same experience when we lived at a camp ad had our Sibe/GSD mix, more so from inner city people (this was back in the mid to late 80s when wolfdogs were a "thing" in the populated areas around here.). He was the gentlest, sweetest dog around.
yes people dont realise how daft they are, and that they definitely dont make good guard dogs. they are far to aloof and friendly for that.

·
Registered
253 Posts
That is EXACTLY why everyone is always commenting that he's so "wolfish", his tail isn't very expressive and he has an intimidating stance. People are very put-off by him. Hell, we haven't had a delivery actually make it to our door since he was 6 months old...
It's ridiculous when people see Hunter and scream bloody murder or leave the dog park because I brought a wolf....
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
951 Posts
However, I recently saw an article about a low-content malamute/husky/arctic wolf mix and noticed some similarities to my boy. We've always gotten comments on our dog's tail, how he has a definite "prowl" to the way he walks, and people are just generally very wary of him... which is crazy for us, because he's a giant teddy bear whereas our older girl (unknown rescue, but heavy on the Siberian) is always getting approached and she's actually the cranky one.
I don't see anything that makes me think wolf at all. The distinct borders of white vs grey around the face and lower body really speaks DOG to me, as does the ears, as does the relatively long tail, as does the shorter legs as does the small paws, as does the classic husky markings on face,

The only thing that looks vaguely wolfish is his main body color, it's almost a sable.

Now, it's hard to eliminate the chance that there is a small amount of wolf blood in there, but I sure don't see much.

Also, regarding prowling. Sled dogs were often left to fend for themselves during the winter months, and were only collected, tied up, and fed regularly during the winter when they were needed for work. Because of this many sled dog breeds have high prey drives. This could account for your dog acting 'prowly'

·
Registered
951 Posts
i think even if it was a stray dog, if it encountered wolfs in the wild, they would probably kill it rather than breed with it. just my opinion.
This is correct. Wolves in the wild generally will NOT mate with dogs. When people were making a concerted effort to wipe out all wolves, there were instances where the last few remaining wolves in a huge area couldn't find other wolves to mate with and form packs with, and in those extreme circumstances, there was some wolf instigated dogxwolf mating.

Normally to get a dog and wolf to mate you have to raise the wolf in captivity with people and dogs.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I'm gonna go with most everyone else here, and say if there's any wolf there's very little. Does he have any of the standard wolfdog behaviors of being super shy, an escape artist, prone to thievery, and so on?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts