Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my sister has a young German Shepherd (a year and a few months) and the vet said that he has hip dysplasia. I've only received this information second-hand, so I don't know exactly what the vet said. He is inbred because the breeding was an accident.
A lot of what I've researched on hip dysplasia does not match him at all. He has no pain or reluctance to get up and jump around. He seems to run just like any other dog, no lameness that I can see.
I mainly want to make sure that jumping with him now won't cause pain later.

Anyways, he seems to love jumping and I was wondering if it is safe to do it with him? Nothing too high, but I'd like to know what the maximum height/ length of the jumps should be for him. Jumping will be done on grass or turf, jumps will be able to be knocked down easily.
He weighs around 80 pounds and is probably a little on the taller side.
Pictures are here if they help: https://sta.sh/2xkmg310l24
Please provide sources or why you're credible!

If jumping isn't safe to do, I need to know what other things I could do with him. He doesn't get as much room to run or walked as often as he should, so something that will take up more energy and less room would be ideal.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
The problem is, they can have hip dysplasia, and not be in pain, at least for now. If that is the case, they will run and jump as though nothing is wrong, but the reality is, their hip(s) are not stable, and can at any time become very painful and debilitating. We have a neighbor/friend that has a BC with hip dysplasia, both hips. They have been told by their Vet to walk him only on a leash when outside, and prevent excess running and jumping. A BC that isn't allowed to run will become a mental case in time. If it was my dog, I would be consulting with orthopedic surgeons, and explore surgical repair, which most of the time is very successful, especially in young dogs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts