Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! My dog won't stop jumping up on other people! She was a stray till she was 9 months old, so I got her later in her puppy life and with a lot of bad habits already in place. I've tried holding her back and saying no when she's trying to jump on people. I've tried going beside her and giving her treats. I've tried calming her down and getting her to sit before they come to pet her, but as soon as they start letting her, she gets excited and starts jumping up again.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Help! My dog won't stop jumping up on other people! She was a stray till she was 9 months old, so I got her later in her puppy life and with a lot of bad habits already in place. I've tried holding her back and saying no when she's trying to jump on people. I've tried going beside her and giving her treats. I've tried calming her down and getting her to sit before they come to pet her, but as soon as they start letting her, she gets excited and starts jumping up again.
Hello,

First off, I wouldn't stress too much if she isn't hurting anyone. If people feel comfortable enough to come up to her, then they should be prepared for her to be excited to see them :)

My dog did this a lot as a puppy and from time to time on occasion she still does it (she's 2.7 years now). She is a border collie and black lab with a lot of energy. Now, she doesn't actually jump on anyone, but jumps up near them.

She mostly jumped up during walks when greeting others or in the pet store when others came up to pet her-during these times she was on a leash. One day I talked to a PetSmart trainer and she suggested something that helped teach her to stay down while on a leash...

She said that when you know someone is going to come up to you, step on the leash enough that she has enough leeway to stand comfortably but not enough where she is free to jump up. Once I started doing this, Bella would try to jump and realized she was restricted to jump and eventually this stopped.

Even after she was off the leash, I think Bella started assuming that she would be restricted if she jumped and so she just stopped.

This method should help get her out of her jumping phase but just remember like I said, if she isn't hurting anyone don't give her too much trouble - I think every dog goes through this phase :) Just work with her on it and in no time I'm sure she will stop!

Kerri

1 - 2 of 2 Posts