Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wasn't really sure where to post this. Sorry if it's in the wrong section.

So today I discovered that my dog can, and enjoys, jumping the five feet tall retaining wall that's along one of our walking paths. I didn't ask him or anything, he just did it. This is the same dog that I tried so hard to teach to jump over obstacles as a puppy (confidence gaining) and refused.

Anyways, so since he seemed to enjoy it and it wore him out after a few times, are there any like jumping exercises or warnings or routines? I think it'd be great for him to do and work on, but I don't want him to hurt himself. He's jumping/climbing up a cinderblock wall where the top is grass but the bottom has concrete. How do I work with him on this in a safe and fun way?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
How old is he?

Could be an idea to channel the desire to jump into a constructive way like agility training. Depending on his age you could buy or make a set of jumps and begin teaching him to go through the poles without the jump, then slowly introduce the jump and gradually raise the height.

Do this on the grass or a soft area not on concrete
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: jclark343

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He just recently turned a year old. I'd love to get him into agility but I can't seem to find any dog sport clubs in the area (central AL, in case you know of any) and I'm currently in an apartment, so I can't really set up one myself.
He's not really a big jumper. Unless you're tempting him with a ball of some kind, he stays pretty grounded, which is why I was surprised that he jumped the wall.
I'll keep searching for some agility groups or training in the area. The only place I've seen here is an unkept dog park with five pieces of equipment, and it's three hours and a twenty minute walk away from here.
In the meantime I'll keep him from jumping down onto the concrete.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts