Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all!

I have a minor problem with Bri getting into the car. Her place is the back seat behind me, where she gets tethered to the seatbelt (she can move around, but not jump in the front seat, for example).
Anyways, her command to get in the car is "car". When we're going somewhere (so we're at home), no problem, she jumps right in. After her day at the daycare, no problem, she jumps right in.
But after being at the park or the dog park, she doesn't want to get in the car. She is just looking at me and sometimes sitting or even turning around to go back to where we came from.

Right now I have to either pick her up (she is 55lbs, so it's doable) or find something to lure her with (food does not work, I sometimes use my watch to create a light reflection that always gets her because she loves to chase it. But I don't want to encourage her chasing these light reflections... it's really a mess at the moment).

I trained this originally with giving her treats as soon as she jumped in. Unfortunately, even a treat in hand/luring, doesn't do the trick.

Any advice on this?

Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Try yummy food treats like hot dog slices when you get to the park, not after you've played at the park. The first day, if she won't hop in, lift her in and go home. Maybe after a few days she will catch on that no hop means no play.
If she does hop in, could the problem be that she is tired after the park and the hop is too high?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Try yummy food treats like hot dog slices when you get to the park, not after you've played at the park. The first day, if she won't hop in, lift her in and go home. Maybe after a few days she will catch on that no hop means no play.
If she does hop in, could the problem be that she is tired after the park and the hop is too high?
Thanks for the suggestion! I thought about this training the hopping before even going into the park, but didn't do it yet.

She is definitely not too tired to jump in. After a day of daycare she normally falls asleep in the car before we reach home (7 minute drive), but has no problems hopping in the car at the daycare.
I really think for her it's kind off like a "I'm not done, I don't wanna go home yet" deal.

Maybe it's similar to the "come" command. Not only using it when the fun ends, but also sending her back off to play again. I do that all the time and she comes perfectly to me (when we're anywhere else but our backyard :D ).

Reactions: TruckersMom

·
Registered
500 Posts
I trained Pax to "load up" by making it a positive experience day in and and out. He gets a treat almost every time he loads up and usually a good little burst of lovin and pettin EVERY time he get in the back seat so he is conditioned when I NEED him to load up.

We do similar thing when we leave the dog beach. On the way home there is a table in the park...he hops up on that, get a few treats...we do a few interactive training things even if it is just drilling a few tricks he know inside and out so that leaving is not a negative but a positive.

Sounds like you have trained the behavior of "car" but not the desire to want to continue to do it. "Car" means we are leaving fun...so why would she wanna do that?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I trained Pax to "load up" by making it a positive experience day in and and out. He gets a treat almost every time he loads up and usually a good little burst of lovin and pettin EVERY time he get in the back seat so he is conditioned when I NEED him to load up.

We do similar thing when we leave the dog beach. On the way home there is a table in the park...he hops up on that, get a few treats...we do a few interactive training things even if it is just drilling a few tricks he know inside and out so that leaving is not a negative but a positive.

Sounds like you have trained the behavior of "car" but not the desire to want to continue to do it. "Car" means we are leaving fun...so why would she wanna do that?
Thanks for the help! Oh yes, she always gets loved on when she gets in the car, no matter where we are. I should put some treats in the car, that way I can't forget about them to reinforce it some more.

You dog beach leaving: Does that mean you get him in the car, drive to the park (one the way home) and then get out again and do these tricks, so interrupt the drive home?

That's what I meant above with driving to the park, playing, getting in the car, getting back out, playing some more. Maybe the same in the dog park. Interrupting play, going to the car, hopping in and then back out to go back to the dog park.
Does that sound like a plan?
(luckily the dog park and the park are not that far away, but unfortunately there is not much on the way to stop and have some extra fun)

·
Registered
500 Posts
You dog beach leaving: Does that mean you get him in the car, drive to the park (one the way home) and then get out again and do these tricks, so interrupt the drive home?
As soon as we leave I will try and do something positive and rewarding with him before we head home (either walk or drive). I do not want leaving to be a negative and he will have something to look forward to and do not want the car to be what he associates with leaving the beach.

Sometimes it is something as simple as stopping, "up" on a bench sitting next to me, a few high fives and "look at me" tricks with treat rewards then off we go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.