Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Dog Forum.

Brief Hx:
-I have a 3yrs 4mos. old Boxer/Lab mix named June. Her weight hovers between 50-53lbs, but is usually pretty consistent at 51 or 52lbs. Vet has never said she's overweight.

-When she was about 4months old puppy (2 months before I adopted her) she was hit by a car. She needed several stitches on her hind left leg, but no broken bones or torn ligaments.

-We are very active. She goes on every conceivable adventure (snow, water, mountains, rocks, etc.) with me in the mountains and does fine.

-She eats Canidae, drinks lots of H2O, never gets table food, I occasionally mix raw grass-fed beef liver, kale, and wheatgrass in with her food. Duck jerky for treats.

-I rarely played fetch with her - actually tried to avoid that because she sprints and the fast direction changes required - but we recently moved temporarily and are in a tough spot to get as much exercise we used to so I have been playing fetch with her 4 or 5 days a week. She recently started a faint limp on that hind left leg.

She's occasionally limped on that back left leg and my vet told me sometimes that can be "pain memory" and not a serious concern?

My primary reason for this post was:
1. What is your highest recommendation for a joint supplement?
2. Any other recommendations, given the circumstances?

I want to get a jump on any chronic issues. Anyone have a similar experience?

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I understand that salmon oil is a great addition to their diet. It is helpful in maintaining joint health as well as skin and coat health. You can buy it in a squirt bottle which you squirt onto their food at meal time. It is also supposed to help their brain function as well. And it won't make them fat. Bonus!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@lucklein: Any recommendations on a brand?

@LynnMarie: All Life Stages - Dry

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
The one thing I notice is they use fish meal and flaxseed meal not oils. From what I read the flaxseed oil is better then the meal so the salmon oil or other oils for omega 3 might be beneficial to supplement. If you do not want to supplement there are better balanced foods.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What balanced foods do you recommend?

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
I personnaly like Solid Gold and Blue Buffalo foods. Both use flaxseed oil and fish oils. You just have to look at which protein you want to feed. Both have Lamb, Fish, Chicken...Solid Gold also has Bison. I have a Golden with food allergies and she does great on Solid Gold WeeBits..which is bison..What ever food you choose research the ingredients..The first five ingredients make the bulk of the food..as you go it becomes less and less.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
I use a glucosamine/condroitin/msm supplement for two of my older dogs - I just use human pills and I modify the amount based on their weight. My mother uses a formulated-for-dogs for her girl who had both her knees repaired. It seems to keep her spry.

With regards to weight, have you actually assessed the dog yourself (here is a handy flowchart that helps)? Vets usually don't mention it unless the dog is morbidly obese since they lose customers. Keeping your dog on the trim side of normal (or even slightly underweight) will do more for your dog's joints than any supplement. You'd probably want to aim for a C. I know they recommend putting more on, but that's so they have a reserve if they go off their food for any amount of time. My dogs* hover between B and C and my vet yells at me if they go any higher than that.

*performance/athlete dogs so the stress that the excess weight puts on their bones is more of a regular threat than dipping too thin on the off chance they go off their food for more than a day.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
@lucklein: Any recommendations on a brand?

mistercotton: I have "Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil" for dogs and cats - PLATO
Got it at a pet supply store. naturaaly preserved, no artificial colors or synthetic flavors. In a brown bottle to help keep out the light.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all for the great recommendations.

@FailedSlacker - she is between a B and C

·
Registered
573 Posts
Nova has an old knee injury too from before I got her. I opted to not restrict her excercise other than avoid jumping and "explosive" type excercise. She does come hiking and horseback riding with me though - to keep her muscle tone and for her mental health (and mine :) ).

I feed a gluosamine / hyaluronic acid / MSM supplement. She gets the same one as my horse, just dosed much lower. Keeps the cost down :).

When she is painful she is on anti-inflammatories, and I also have pain medication (Tramadol) for emergencies that I never had to use yet.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@Regula: What supplement brand do you use? Dosage?

This is also a follow-up report. I went with "Lucklein's" suggestion of getting the Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil by PLATO and mix 2 pumps in each time I feed my dog (2x/day). I got a 32oz. bottle on Amazon for $25.38 w/ free shipping (this price fluctuates I've noticed). I've only been using it for about a week, but it hasn't affected June's affinity for her grub!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts