Dog Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I adopted a mix of Labrador with dachshund. He's basically a lab with short funny legs. He's 3 years old. I was wondering if it's Ok to take him jogging. I intend to gradually introduce him to jogging from our walks. I hear however it's not a good idea to jog with dogs with short legs. Would that be bad for his back?

·
Registered
951 Posts
Sled dogs can run the equivalent of 5 marathons in a single day.

While most dogs aren't that extreme the average dog in good physical condition could probably run two or three marathons a day.

The only dogs that can't are those heavily modified by humans to be very tiny, have smashed in face (can't breath well enough to be active for long durations) and those breeds with exceptionally short legs.

While I'd say in general the Dachshund is not going to be great as a jogging companion unless your jogs are for relatively short distance, with lab mixed in how is your dog structured? Even smaller dogs like the Jack Russel Terrier can run a LONG WAYS. If your dog has medium or even medium-short legs he should be fine as a jogging companion for average joggers. If he has super-short legs, then maybe not.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts