Dog Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we have a border collie/lab puppy who has TONS of energy. Very hard to tire out- usually needs at minimum two 45 minute walks a day plus two hard 20 minute sessions of fetch, plus 30 minutes of obedience training, plus all food via treat dispensing toys (so lots of mental stimulation and physical exercise). We think he is 8 months old, but he hasn't grown at all the past two months, so he may be older. 33 pounds, so not very big.

I'm sure this has been debated too death, but what are people's thoughts on jogging with a pup at 8 months, only for 1-2 miles? (Not more). I know there is this whole concern about damaging their growth plates, but I have a a hard time believing that 1-2 miles of jogging with a human would do that? Human children run around on soccer fields for an hour, and their growth plates aren't closed. I would think the concern would be with working dogs, ie pulling loads.

It's just very challenging to tire out our pup given the border collie background, and we need to be able to tire him out a bit before work in the morning.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
From my understanding it is usually recommended that an owner should avoid high impact exercise until their plates have closed. My best thought would be to maybe consider consulting your vet about what they suggest for your dog.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I've been running with my border collie/lab mix since he was about 11 months. We started out slow though with short runs, and just now do a mile plus jog in the morning and he's a little over a year. My vet said it was fine to do at 10 months, but maybe it depends on the individual dog.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I started slowly jogging with our Aussie at 6 months. Our vet told us it was fine as long as the dog stayed at a trotting pace. Basically a 12-14 minute mile is what we did starting at 1 mile at a time, then working our way to 2 at 8 months and 3 by 10 months. I should mention we did this about 2-3 times a week to start and worked our way up to everyday, very slowly. Now she is a year and a half and we run lots of miles a day but still at a reasonable pace (11-12 minute miles, but this is based on me not her). My previous dog we did something similar with and he never had problems, lived to 15 and never developed joint problems. I think it depends on the dog but I would consult a vet before doing anything.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.