Dog Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I walk my dog, I get all kinds of questions. For my last one, which was a reddish one, it was: Is it a coyote, is it a fox mix? For my new white one, it's more mundane like is it an akita mix? Is it a husky mix? Is there some basenji?

Nope, she is a jindo dog from Jindo island, Korea. Or at least that is where her breed comes from. Her actual physical self came from a dog pound in Los Angeles. She's very fun, very nice in the house, healthy, strong, and smart. She is a big of a dominant breed, though, not as bad some dominant breeds, but requires a tad of knowhow to manage. But if you are a softie, these dogs will take major advantage. On the flip side, these dogs do not tolerate abuse well as they have their own minds and will not follow an unfit leader.

Here is a picture of her:
http://starstuddedpets.1freecart.com/h/about.htm

Note that most jindos have a less curly tail, usually more sickle shaped. The 'too curly' tail happens a lot in Jindos but is considered a 'fault' when it comes to judging. That is OK with me though cuz I didn't get her for shows, just as a pet.

-Eva

·
Registered
135 Posts
Well I consider myself pretty well versed in dog breeds, but I definitely wouldn't have guessed her breed if I saw her on the street. LOL! I've only seen one Jindo and it was on The Dog Whisperer. She's a beautiful dog for sure!

·
Banned
111 Posts
She appears more of an outcross of a Jindo with Basenji. I only say this as a former owner of basenji and having had so much exposure to and around them. As the the Jindos tend to have more of a spitzer snout with much more taper. The body structure of the Basenji and the Jindo are very similar but the head on your dog is a dead give away as the basenji shows through. As a female the tapered snout would be more pronounced for a Jindo. Your gal has a stronger boxier snout/jawline. Which is more Basenji. But then again without DNA test and papers.....who really knows.

Beautiful dog nonetheless.

·
Banned
111 Posts
One more thing.....check your dog's paws. The two foremost toes on each paw. Are they connected? Almost as if they were one? Or separate toes? If connected... its a definite Basenji trait. A paw print like a Jackals' The only other canine besides a jackal to have such a paw print is a Basenji.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Welcome to the Dog Forum Poochpatrol1! Your dog is very pretty. I have met a few Jindos. They are truely an unique breed. Im glad you rescued her and gave her a home. Thanks for sharing her pic! Do you have anymore...:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jindos on show

It bares reminding that jindos are a natural breed. Breeds created by nature with less history of careful human controlled breeding programs tend to have more natural variation in appearance from one individual to another. Nature likes variety and jindos are not as homogeneous as many other breeds. Also, it is very hard to ID a Jindo by just one photo. There are many little things like the dark rimmed pink nose (pink not black for white jindos), the black color of the skin around the eyes like eyeliner (black skin only around eyes never elsewhere on the whites), the way the fur stands, the relatively bigger head and scruff, almond shaped upturned eyes (not triangular down turned) the way the back legs are built, gait, behaviors, etc that mark her breed. In addition she was turned into the pound by owner and owner stated that she was a purebred jindo on turnin, so it was not guesswork by the pound nor me.

When I had her looked at by a professional jindo show judge from Korea, he said her faults, in comparison with perfect jindo standards, were that her cheeks should be wider and more rounded, head a bit more balloon like. The Koreans say ideal jindos should have curves like the gently rolling hills of Korea. ;-) Also her ears could tip forward just a tad more (not really a visible feature in this photo). That plus I already knew the tail should have a looser curl to it.

However, I think people will find that most primitive breed tend to look a bit similar to eachother in some ways. Nature creates a type that is successful at surviving and that type tends to be similar a lot of the time. As for basenji toes, she does not have them. They look like normal toes to me, although foot is more compact than many breeds, which is typical of jindos.

As for the 'jindo' on dog whisperer, there is some argument if that dog was purebred. Almost all jindos in the US are either reddish tan or white like mine. That dog was found stray with no info on origins and proper ID of a jindo is difficult by those not really well schooled. That is why I had mine looked at by those who are better than I am at the ID. Over aggression to humans is not a normal trait either although it could be considered 'normal' for jindos that are half feral and peraps mistreated in the past.

THere was a jindo found in the fields outside my town a few years ago that was surviving in the wild for months catching and eating small game and lizards, but even that one, after being lassooed and adopted, was aloof to strangers but not particularly aggressive to humans and soon settled into a new life of dog beds and kibble. It is my personal opinion that aggression in jindos comes mostly from a history of abuse. Unlike some breeds, they are not known to bite for no reason. A lot of the jindo people were really unhappy to see that episode because it really did not show typical jindo behavior, more like worst case scenario, and since most people will only see that one side of the jindo dog on TV, it gave jindos a bad name. On jindo island, where jindo dogs roam all over the island in great numbers, dogs bites on humans are very rare.

Even that one on the Dog Whisperer, I suspect was trying to scare off Milan more than he really wanted to nail him. He could have easily just went over and bit the crap out of Milan's legs if he really wanted to get him. I think his snapping was more an attempt to scare off Milan but Milan had his number and it didn't work. Jindos are very very quick, faster than even Milan. My jindo regularly chases and CATCHES rabbits, squirrels, rats, etc. If a jindo really wants to nail you, dancing around would not save you!
-Eva

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Everyone! I'm new to dogforum but I have been looking for help to ID the breed of my rescue dog, Sheyda. I have been checking out all sorts of Asian breeds, and have decided she more closely resembles the Jindo Dog than any other breed. I have added two links to photos I have of her on my Facebook page. In one of the photos she looks somewhat fluffy, but she has since shedded all that fluff and it never returned (its been a year and a half). She weighs about 30 lbs. and is not very tall, and has a curly tail.
I'd appreciate any help I can get on if she's a Jindo(purebred, or at least in part). Thanks!!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1494149&l=c4128aa819&id=600220607
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1494153&l=d3407e38ba&id=600220607http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1494149&l=c4128aa819&id=600220607

·
Registered
228 Posts
Sheyda looks a little more like an American Eskimo Dog to me. They can range between 18lbs and 35lbs. The American Eskimo is another Spitz-type dog.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a look at some Jindo videos online and the only difference between Sheyda and a Jindo is that Sheyda's nose is a bit shorter & in some cases a bit boxier like an Akita or Chow
I did look at some American Eskimos and she looks nothing like them other than being white. She has a short coat, not long at all, just a bit fluffier in the bum. Maybe I'll post a video instead, it will probably be a better assessment tool.
Thank you though :)

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Your dog is absolutely gorgeous! Looks like a Jindo to me, I don't see Basenji, Husky or whatever. Although I'm not a Jindo expert by any means. I think they are a great breed and I'm glad to see you gave one in need a home. There seems to be "a lot" in the LA area. Hmmmm.

Oh I love the collar as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Your dog looks like a Jindo to me. The only criticism I can make would be that the ears are a bit oversized but not too much and the tail is a little weak. But it all depends on what you think a pure bred jindo is. To be honest there's a lot of garbage concerning Jindos starting from the Island. You would think that there'd be plenty of pure bred jindos in korea but you'll almost never see one outside Jindo. It's even more rare to see them in the States. The point is Jindos have certain physical and tempramental characteristics that make them Jindos. hieght weight and of course the face. The temprament is very aloof to strangers meaning they hate being touched by others, an innate sense of direction and an insatiable instinct for hunting and freedom. The only problem is they are untrainable due to their high intellegence.
I bet if you let your dog off leash in an unfenced area he's impossible to control.
I'm able to write these things because I actually went to the island and got a Pure bred Jindo...and have had him for about a year. They are great dogs but without the best enviroment they might even be considered worthless. By the way the "jindo" in The dog whisperer is a 100 percent mutt. Believe me.

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
The only problem is they are untrainable due to their high intellegence.
I bet if you let your dog off leash in an unfenced area he's impossible to control.
They are great dogs but without the best enviroment they might even be considered worthless. .
In dog training we have a saying. "Its never the dog"

Pleas enlighten us all on how smarter dogs are harder to train???

Yes jindos are never going to be Lassie...but to say they are untrainable and worthless....wow just wow.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well they are very intelligent so any command they'll pick up at once.
But given a choice to let's say come they'd come a 100times when they know they re confined by a leash or a fenced area. Off leash they'd ignore you over what they want. In another words they'll go over your heads. I think the majority of average dog owners could never get over this aspect of Jindos. If someone has please let me know.

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
Well they are very intelligent so any command they'll pick up at once.
But given a choice to let's say come they'd come a 100times when they know they re confined by a leash or a fenced area. Off leash they'd ignore you over what they want. In another words they'll go over your heads. I think the majority of average dog owners could never get over this aspect of Jindos. If someone has please let me know.
Iam very familiar with jindos and similar breeds.

You are raising the criteria too quickly. You can also use premack principle to get the behavior your looking for.

If you truely want help with this please start a new thread in training so this one doesn't go any further off topic.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I too have a Jindo- we rescued her over a year ago. She is now 4 and even though it took us a long time to gain her trust and respect, now that we have it, she is truly the most amazing dog I have met. I disagree 100% with the comments made by jdj81. You are correct in that Jindo are no labrador- They certainly do take work and consistancy and only those willing to put in the time and effort should take these dogs on but to suggest that they are untrainable and unwilling to learn is just not true. When we got Rupy, she was broken down, wanted nothing to do with humans and hunted everything that moved. She is now loving towards strangers, amazing with children and egar to please. I couldn't imagine having a more perfect pet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.