Dog Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am at my wits end with Jaya's allergies.

Seriously, I am thinking about putting her to sleep because she so fn miserable. She's gouged holes in her ribs, and chest area from scratching, and also one day I took a nap and when I woke up, she came out of her room where she likes to sleep and her whole face was bloody. She had scratched the sides of her muzzle raw to the point of bleeding as well as put a gouge above her eyebrow that was bleeding too.

Last year I tried various dog foods trying to see if it was a food allergy. Come late fall/winter I *thought* I nailed it down...she quit iching! Then Boom. As soon as the snow melted...she was right back to scratching again, so now I know it's not a food based allergy...it's something environmental...pollens more than likely. (I have had her tested/check by the vet for fleas and mites ect)

The vet has tried steroid shots...which I honestly haven't seen that much difference in stopping the scratching. And Then... A huge mistake on my part...even after reading about possible side affects.....

I tried Predizone(sp) on her.

Yes, it stopped the itching...but the side affects turned out to be horrible! Jaya about peed my house under, it was like she had no bladder control, and then it changed her personality. Jaya, as mentioned, is almost feral, (was also beaten quite often by her former owner), and I've put in a lot of work to 'calm' her fearful mind. Even had her on Prozac for about 3 months after I had her for almost a year because I couldn't get past her fearful reactions to teach her that every noise and movement wasn't going to hurt her.

The Prozac was wonderful, and I took her off of it after the 3 months and she remained in a lot better state of mind than when I first got her and that Predizone un-did all of that. Jaya went right back into her fearful ways...plus started growling and barking at stuff that I couldn't see or hear....she would just run through the house with a low growl...then stop and look up and bark. Weird. I took her of the Predizone before I was even finished with what was left in the container.

So, I've been on the net hunting for more solutions...the benadryl doesn't seem to be working, bathing, and adding non-itch products do little. Plus she's 55 pounds of almost feral dog so handling her is Severely stressful for her and quite a chore as she panics easily and I have a really bad back and after 10 minutes... I'm in so much pain I can barely finish the half hour chore of giving her a bath at times.

Anti itch stuff I've used on her... Witch Hazel -non-alcohol kind. On her back where she can't lick...I have used benadryl anti ich spray. And I have also mixed up a little Anbesol type gels ( benzocaine) into a little Bag Balm salve to rub around her muzzle, sores that are scabbed over, and in between her paws. Benzocaine is the stuff that numbs tooth pain but it's also great for insect bites, and numbing things like scratches.

COLOSTRUM
Anyway...now I'm looking at Colostrum. Has anyone had any success with this? I have been reading some positive stuff about it, written by people who seem to have no interest in selling it, some of them are vets, other's scientist and some are doctors. They seem to think it has benefits, and it has little as far as bad side affects going for it. Colostrum is suppose to help build up the body's immune system and thus help fight off things like bad reactions to pollens and other other allergens.

LOCAL HONEY...collected in a radius of 70 miles from where one lives:
The other thing I ran across which in a weird way seems to make sense but is probably not been proved. Local Honey. Of which in my little valley we have a Wonderful source for it.. I grew up on the stuff and can't hardly bare to use other honeys as they don't taste as good to me and I can't stand clover honey which is what is almost 100 percent of what is sold in stores. Our valley's honey is technically an Alfalfa Honey...but I know the bee keepers also put their bees in a a couple of large fruit orchards around here.

Anyway...the idea behind local honey (non pasteurized kind) is that because the bees collect all kinds of pollens that by giving your dog a tablesppon a day of honey, after time it can naturally build up an immunity to the pollens.

Drawbacks I've read about...is it seems to make things worse before making things better. But I don't know how anything can be worse than it is right now with Jaya. I just wonder if a tablespoon of sugar a day can have any harmful side effects on a dog.

I am getting so desperate, Jaya is so miserable. I just don't know if it's fair to keep a dog alive and miserable from non stop itching 9 months out the year.

I looked into raw diets...but at this point in my life they are way above my budget...and while I know they too can help with building up a dog's immune system. I think it would be more helpful to the dog if the dog had a food allergy...and that's not the case with Jaya from what I figured out over last winter....which was the first full winter I had Jaya. I had adopted her the prior winter at the end of December...so she wasn't iching at that point and it was that summer she started to do so. So last winter...it stopped and then started up again this spring.

I do try to buy a good quality dog food. I'll switch from Kirkland lamb and rice to chicken and rice...mixing the two as I go from one to another. I've read reviews on it and it gets high marks for quality vs price and compares quite nicely with other dog food brands that are a lot more money. So I think my dogs are getting enough of the right nutritions and I'm not sure if a raw diet could do a whole lot more for the allergy stuff.

Stormy

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
It won't hurt to try either of them and if I were you I'd give them a try.

Have you read through Marbear and Lab4Life's threads? Both of them have dogs with severe allergies, Marbear's dog to both environmental and food, Lab4Life's to environmental.

Reactions: crazy

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
It won't hurt to try either of them and if I were you I'd give them a try.

Have you read through Marbear and Lab4Life's threads? Both of them have dogs with severe allergies, Marbear's dog to both environmental and food, Lab4Life's to environmental.
Very true good on you for remembering! hmmm i know you cant afford raw food but how much is fresh raw green tripe where you are? tripe can do wonders for dogs with allergies and Jessie has it daily in a blend of rabbit goat and tripe but tripe by itself holds lots of goodness, pro biotics and is very good for dogs with any type of allergy. Long as green tripe and dogs love it! gone in seconds. thankfully i get it real cheap from Jessie's food company so much cheaper then getting the k9 natural frozen version!

If it wont cost much to do that its worth a shot to give her daily to see if it helps. Also these anti itch stuff what do they contain? most will have sulphates parabens or nasties in that make it worse. Also oatmeal can make it worse if the dog is sensitive to oatmeal.

Now i do wish i could send you over some of this make it better butter i use on Jessie's skin it works miracles on her skin!Make It Better Butter

Also are there any shampoo bars that contain natural essential oils like washbar? | WashBar I have found using only the most natural stuff on Jessie has really helped make her skin calm down (as well as raw diet as intolerance sensitivities to foods and veges!)

have you tried to get into a university dermatologist for her like lab4life did? can you get her back on prozac? then get her seen to by dermatologist at a university centre where you shouldn't pay much to see whats causing it and how to treat without what you have tried?

Do take a look at the make it better butter ingredients and see if you can find something similar? I am just hoping i can help you through my experiences with Jessie as well as my own skin issues.

Reactions: Rain

·
Registered
680 Posts
A raw diet has cured many dogs of these types of severe allergy symptoms. Start with one unique protein your pup has never eaten before and one carb.

Ask your vet about Apoquel. It inhibits the itch signal from reaching the brain, thereby decreases/ending the scratching.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses, everyone. I'll look into them.

@Tuckesmom Yes, I tried Apoquel for 2 months and it didn't seem to have any affect on the itching. My vet special ordered it in for me.
@crazy I'm not sure what green tripe is.. but we do have a butcher shop here that butchers everything from cattle to wild game, elk and deer mostly...some moose. Getting innards from them... I would have to check on it... Also, I guess I should shy away from wild game or pig tripe??? Any way of a dog picking up worms from those types of by products? Also, does it need cleaned in any way if getting it straight from a butcher. I live in a Very small town and the local grocery store doesn't deal with 'raw' foods in relation to stuff that can be served to dogs...like lung, or tripe ...ect.. I am on disability and have a hard enough time keeping myself in fresh veggies...much less start buying more of the dog. I am on an extremely tight budget and money not spent is set aside for vet bills and dentist bills...etc. If I increase my food budget, I'm afraid I won't have anything to save for when big emergency bills come along.
@Dawnben - My valley has a lot of bentonite clay. In fact my last home, the well water tasted of it so much I had to run it through a filter to get rid of the nasty taste. Maybe I can sneak over to that place and dig up a little of it while the new owner's not home...lol. Joking aside, I'll take a look at some of those bentonite products and if not too much money give some a try.
@Rain - I'll look up those threads and do some reading...thanks for the suggestions.

Winter is coming soon...already we are getting crazy cold weather here, I'm going cross my fingers and hope it snows before then end of October. We already got a little bit of snow in the higher mountains...but here in the valley, it takes a little more time before it falls.

I've been almost in tears over all of this. It's hard to watch a dog suffer like Jaya has done and not be able to comfort her like one could with a normal dog. She trusts me to a certain degree, but is still very uncomfortable and stressed when it comes to being handled for any amount of time.

Oh, and also, I'm no where near a college or university that could give me any kind of help on this. The nearest on ramp to an interstate is 160 miles away and then it's another 30 miles just to reach a small city... Idaho doesn't have many bigger cities when compared to other states. And even if I had a place I could take her, again, being more feral than not, she would be pretty stressed by the car ride.

I did btw put Jaya back on Prozac. She will be on it for 3 to 4 months...and if I see an improvement I'll wean her off of them again. She did fine coming off of it last time and didn't revert back to being a nervous dog. I just don't like the idea of putting her on meds if there's no reason to do so. I know some people have their dogs on the stuff permanently.

Jaya will be 8 years old next year, my last dog who was also an Australian mix, and who was very much the same size and body type as Jaya...she lived to be 14. I just can't bear the thought of Jaya living to that age and being in such misery. I'm getting desperate to find her some relief from the worst of the itching. The predizone...it stopped it...but I can't imagine what it was doing to her kidneys...the way she was drinking water by the gallons and then peeing it out on my carpets. Also...her personality change...growling! Jaya never ever growled..ever...even when she had been totally terrified at something going on. She's a very gentle girl.

Thanks again for reading....

Stormy

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
Thanks for the responses, everyone. I'll look into them.

@Tuckesmom Yes, I tried Apoquel for 2 months and it didn't seem to have any affect on the itching. My vet special ordered it in for me.
@crazy I'm not sure what green tripe is.. but we do have a butcher shop here that butchers everything from cattle to wild game, elk and deer mostly...some moose. Getting innards from them... I would have to check on it... Also, I guess I should shy away from wild game or pig tripe??? Any way of a dog picking up worms from those types of by products? Also, does it need cleaned in any way if getting it straight from a butcher. I live in a Very small town and the local grocery store doesn't deal with 'raw' foods in relation to stuff that can be served to dogs...like lung, or tripe ...ect.. I am on disability and have a hard enough time keeping myself in fresh veggies...much less start buying more of the dog. I am on an extremely tight budget and money not spent is set aside for vet bills and dentist bills...etc. If I increase my food budget, I'm afraid I won't have anything to save for when big emergency bills come along.
@Dawnben - My valley has a lot of bentonite clay. In fact my last home, the well water tasted of it so much I had to run it through a filter to get rid of the nasty taste. Maybe I can sneak over to that place and dig up a little of it while the new owner's not home...lol. Joking aside, I'll take a look at some of those bentonite products and if not too much money give some a try.
@Rain - I'll look up those threads and do some reading...thanks for the suggestions.

Winter is coming soon...already we are getting crazy cold weather here, I'm going cross my fingers and hope it snows before then end of October. We already got a little bit of snow in the higher mountains...but here in the valley, it takes a little more time before it falls.

I've been almost in tears over all of this. It's hard to watch a dog suffer like Jaya has done and not be able to comfort her like one could with a normal dog. She trusts me to a certain degree, but is still very uncomfortable and stressed when it comes to being handled for any amount of time.

Oh, and also, I'm no where near a college or university that could give me any kind of help on this. The nearest on ramp to an interstate is 160 miles away and then it's another 30 miles just to reach a small city... Idaho doesn't have many bigger cities when compared to other states. And even if I had a place I could take her, again, being more feral than not, she would be pretty stressed by the car ride.

I did btw put Jaya back on Prozac. She will be on it for 3 to 4 months...and if I see an improvement I'll wean her off of them again. She did fine coming off of it last time and didn't revert back to being a nervous dog. I just don't like the idea of putting her on meds if there's no reason to do so. I know some people have their dogs on the stuff permanently.

Jaya will be 8 years old next year, my last dog who was also an Australian mix, and who was very much the same size and body type as Jaya...she lived to be 14. I just can't bear the thought of Jaya living to that age and being in such misery. I'm getting desperate to find her some relief from the worst of the itching. The predizone...it stopped it...but I can't imagine what it was doing to her kidneys...the way she was drinking water by the gallons and then peeing it out on my carpets. Also...her personality change...growling! Jaya never ever growled..ever...even when she had been totally terrified at something going on. She's a very gentle girl.

Thanks again for reading....

Stormy
Hey stormy

I have googled green tripe in Idaho for you and came across this site: Green Tripe | Idahound this gives you all the information you need on tripe what it is, what good for etc and $4 for a 1lb it says but butchers are probably a lot cheaper not sure . I can check other sites for you but if you want to get it from a butcher this site should tell you as well as the butcher if they get confused how it needs to be. It cant be bleached for dogs as that destroys the nutrients. seriously even a small amount can do good for a dog its got all the natural goodness and probiotics so if she ever goes on anti antibiotics wont need kefir.

I know how money is for you as i am myself on disability and benefits and money is tight and hard work and trust me got huge dentist bills right now to pay off yet to make sure enough money for Jess food and mine as well as my essential needs but parents don't see me short thankfully and i can budget well now when it comes to Jessie's costs for her needs even have a Jessie's vet, Jessie's food account. Next ones will be grooming and training account lol. Just makes budgeting so much easier for me that way. So i can sympathize re costs as dogs arent cheap and we need to feed and clothe ourselves! i am happy to take a photo of Jessie's minced green tripe(lamb) for you if you would like that? I just think this is worth a shot as its well known to help dogs with allergies and just want to try help you and jaya so end of day this is entirely up to you and theres no pressure. I just speak highly of it.

No wouldn't get worms Jessie sure hasn't i hadn't till now even heard of pig or wild game tripe by itself! now ive learnt something new from you thank you :) Also just found this site GreenTripe.Com Main Index fresh tripe is best if possible,not sure about the canned versions @TiggerBounce might know more there if its any good

i'm so sorry theres no university nearby to help you help jaya i was hoping there was for you both and im glad she is back on prozac to help her get back to where she was before the prednisone. I dont like putting dogs on meds either unless needed esp long term but with charlie no choice sadly because of such severe arthritis.

Like you i cant bear the thought of her living to be14 in such misery with all this going on for her and i can so understand how and why you are so desperate to help find something to help her and i will do what i can to help, as we all on here will.

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
Oh and stormy big hugs your way to you and jaya from myself and Jessie

·
Registered
680 Posts
Perhaps try a lower dose of the Prednisone. Find the lowest dose that works, or that at least gives her a better quality of life than she has now.

Yes, long use of Prednisone may shorten her life to some degree, but it's better to have quality of life than miserable longevity. That is my vets advice to me.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Perhaps try a lower dose of the Prednisone. Find the lowest dose that works, or that at least gives her a better quality of life than she has now.

Yes, long use of Prednisone may shorten her life to some degree, but it's better to have quality of life than miserable longevity. That is my vets advice to me.
I tried smaller doses after I saw how much she was peeing...and how often and most often on my carpet. I called the vet and asked her about it, and she gave me the suggestions of trying a few things like halving the dose, or giving her like 1 pill one day and 1/2 a pill the next day. I tried to do 1 pill for 2 days straight then 1/2 a pill...and other combinations...but the results were not productive in regards to making her comfortable and stopping the itching.

The point was to try to figure out a way to keep it in her system, stop the itching, but also reduce the incidents of her peeing in my house...sometimes up to 4 or 5 times in one day! This, even with me letting her out every 1/2 hour...which I can't do at night, and also becomes tedious very fast, and I also have severe back problems...so it was becoming painful for to have to clean those messes up. I have a small unit made just for that kind of stuff, but it still involves a lot of bending, then emptying and cleaning the 'dirty water' container of the unit.

I spent about 6 weeks trying to adjust her meds, and it seemed that lowering the dose just brought back the itching really fast...like within a day....plus it didn't solve the problem much of her peeing...and then...later on into the treatment...she got 'weird' with the running through the house growling and acting like she was seeing stuff where there was nothing there and growling. That was when I weaned her off the stuff. And tried the Apoquel.

Stormy

·
Registered
680 Posts
I'm so sorry for all that you've been through in trying to resolve your pup's allergy issues. I'm sure that I would be just as frustrated, and with your back problem, you just cannot keep up with the side-effects of the peeing on the Prednisone.

Some people truly find instant relief using a raw diet, but you must use one protein and one carb, and give nothing else in way of treats or tidbits off of dinner plates.

Have you tried Atopica? It's more expensive than Apoquel or Prednisone, but a lot of people find it very helpful with skin allergy issues.

(((Hugs)))

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I pulled some money out of my emergency savings. And ended up buying some Colostrum for Jaya. I will probably try the tripe later on, but can't afford both at once.

Both seem to offer beneficial bacteria and have good reports as far as helping dogs with issues like Jaya has...but the Colostrum I think since I want to have my dog on it daily for at least 2 months...it's a bit more affordable. I found 1 pound of 1st milking colostrum for $47.00 and I can give Jaya a daily dose of it for the next 2 months. Plus, from what I've read, it's not going to be stinky like green trip.

I did call a couple of local butchers today but neither wanted to mess with saving the tripe, even when I offered to bring in a 5 gallon bucket with a lid for them to put it in and then call me as soon as I could pick it up. I told them that one company was getting $4.00 for a pound of it...so they were tossing away a valuable, marketable product...that on the internet there seems to be a very good market for the stuff.

This is the colostrum product I picked out. I read that powdered form was the best kind, and overall cheaper than the pill kind that has to be processed into pills...etc.

It's called 'body boost, bovine colostrum' (in case the link doesn't work below)

For the tripe, I have this site bookmarked as it looks like their prices are pretty good when compared to other companies.

https://www.mypetcarnivore.com/inde...oduct_id=34&virtuemart_category_id=19&lang=en

Again, thanks for the information on the tripe and other products mentioned here. I will, as mentioned more than likely be getting tripe for Jaya in the future. For right now, I'm going to try for the less expensive one...and do the colostrum and honey....which sounds almost biblical...lol...milk and honey. :p

Crossing my fingers and hoping this stuff can help build up her immune system and help her fight the allergy issues. Of course, we are now into full autumn here and going into winter really fast, so I don't know how this will pan out come spring. She's still scratching and miserable right now though and the snow probably won't fall here until the end of October..so I'm still hoping she'll see some relief before then. And even after the snow falls, I seem to remember it still took several weeks before she stopped scratching.

Stormy

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
Well done and good on you can I just say! No you can't afford both at once heck neither could I. The fact you git that bargain and afforded ir truly amazing. Yes green tripe stink but its gone in seconds and I use metal tongs to use it. Worst green tripe for me is the chunky form. Jessie doesn't scoff in seconds but takes it apart and only eats certain bits but minced gone in seconds. now when jess had chunky version my kitchen reeked and I hated the smell. Wtf how can butchers refuse such offers and ask when its to help dog in need. You tell them ive reeled in shock and they offended me and your dog that to me committing a crime! Even after everything you told them they refused? Well they turning down a heap of business!

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
Btw you are more then welcome. Also see if staying away from dog products with sulfates and parabens helps too. Saw product on I think chewy for seven
dollars as was looking at natural products for you to try
with jaya incase needed. Let'shope this works wonders though.
Had to do elimination with jessie food and everything. So she sensitive to in products

Sls aka sodium lauryl sulphate. Parabens fragrance

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had to go in and pay on a vet bill today and while there had another conversation about Jaya with my vet.

I've been in tears twice today, due to Jaya's constant scratching. I sleep in a recliner in the living room, due to my bad back making laying down on a flat bed rather painful. Jaya has a room she next to the living room she likes to go into and sleep....it has a love seat in there that she's taken over.

For the last 3 nights she has kept me awake, as I could hear her in her room, licking at her paws, to the point of making sucking sounds, or scratching her ribs or chest or face....sometimes she would run out of the room, and in the living room drop to the floor and push her face into the carpet and start rubbing the bottom of her chin, and the sides of her muzzle.

Plus, all day long, all I hear and see is her scratching, scratching, scratching and scratching.

I got up around 3 am and gathered up some stuff to try to ease Jaya's itching. Jaya, is, as mentioned rather feral, and she has seen me do this before and she immediately started to get stressed. By the time I go into 'her' room, she's wedged herself between the arm of the love seat and a bookshelf...shaking like her whole word is about to come to an end.

I slide a collar on her, tug gently and that prompts her to spin and jump out of that whole and try to 'break' the lead...escape....so that means a bunch of jerking around that plays hell on my back. I calm her, she sits, and then I'm spending the next 1/2 hour, slowly working some non-alcohol witch hazel into her back and upper ribs. I hope these are places she won't try to lick, and the witch hazel is easy to apply and rub through her dense fur so it gets to the skin.

I put some bag balm with a tiny amount of ambusol in it on her chest/underarm area where the worst of the scabs and sores are at (bag balm has some mild antibiotic ingredients in it, that is why I put it in that area) And I use a bit of coconut oil and ambusol under her chin, the sides of her muzzle, her ears. I figure if Jaya licks at her muzzle ... the ambulsol might not taste good and will numb her tongue a bit, but it won't be poisonous...and the coconut oil is also fairly safe and it kind of 'stretches' the ambusol out...and I've read that coconut oil can feel soothing to sensitive skin.

I try not to cry around my dogs...I will let them out usually, if possible, but I had tears coming out of my eyes this morning, my heart just breaking for Jaya, but also due to the extreme back pain I had after our session was over. I let both dogs out for about 20 minutes, then brought them back in, gave Jaya a benadryl and tried to go back to sleep.

But around 8 am, after I got up again, I was still stressed about this whole thing and started crying again. Jaya's was still scratching a little, but not as frantic as she was earlier that morning.

I told my vet all about this and how I've been trying to research other means to help Jaya. She didn't seem too impressed nor think that the colostrum or even green tripe would be of any help.

She suggested an allergy test...which not more than half a year ago she mentioned were about worthless. I brought that up...and she said they've gone to a different company. The other company she said kept coming back with almost the same allergies for different dogs and the treatments they recommended were usually drug based, with steroid and predozone being the major ingredient. She wasn't happy with them.

She said this company seems to be a lot more specific in detailing the major allergens and then they use the dog's own blood to create a custom serum that counteract the histamines and stop the itching in that particular animal.

She knows that winter is coming on, and that last year, Jaya stopped itching during the winter. So now the plan is this:

Jaya's going in Friday and we will do 1 more steroid shot...she nor I are a fan of this...but it helps a little bit...not a lot...but at this point.. Jaya needs any kind of relief I can give her.

I'm going to start Jaya on the colostrum and honey and give it too her all winter and see what happens come spring. (Sometime before winter ends, I also want to buy her a package of green tripe and see if some of that added to her meals will help) If Jaya ends up scratching again come spring, then I'll go in and have the blood tests gone...and see what kind of allergies she has and try the custom serum.

Btw, my vet said that the ambusol was probably only going to dull the itch for like 20 to 30 mintues...and I could only reply, well, if that keeps her out of hell for that long, it's better than having to deal with the itch constantly.

The other thing with the stuff I'm putting on Jaya, I can only leave it on her for like 2 or 3 days... the bag balm salve and the coconut oil...which tends to attract dirt...which probably can work itself down to the skin and irritate it - so I've been having to bathe Jaya too...and that is even more stressful for her than just getting a rub down...and for me it's sheer torture as my back and bad leg end up hurting much much more than usual for days afterwards.

Just typing all of this out has me in tears again... I just am feeling like all of this is so hopeless. It would be bad if she were a normal dog, but she's so afraid of humans, and every time I have to handle her against her will... I feel like I'm betraying what little trust she's given to me since I adopted her the winter before last. I also don't want to lose her... but I can't see how it can be humane to keep her living like this if these treatments don't work...and that has me pretty upset too.

Sorry for the long note again... I'll try what I can for her before giving up, but at this point...it just seems like her getting any relief is still some time down the road. Even if the colostrum works, it could take several weeks to months for it to kick in...and by then...winter...and I won't know if it's the cold weather or the product that is stopping the itch. I just know we are both miserable about it....Jaya more so than me... as at least I can understand my back pain and deal with it by breathing deep until the pain eases, or even taking pain meds to soften the worst of it in the days following strain on my injured back and leg...while all she understands is that she itches...and it's miserable.

Stormy

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Is you vet willing to prescribe a course of Temaril P? It's a corticosteroid and antihistamine, but for Zody it's worth the general drowsiness he has on it to break the cycle of his allergies. I've found that once the cycle is broken the benedryl seems to work better. With him I keep him on it for around a week and slowly wean him off.

Have you tried feeding her the coconut oil, and is the coconut oil cold pressed and unrefined? Feeding it to her can help, and the type is important because heat used in processing can destroy some of the benefits of the oil.

Here's some articles
Allergic Dermatitis: The Most Common Sign of Pet Allergies
How To Choose A Good Coconut Oil | Food Renegade

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Is you vet willing to prescribe a course of Temaril P? It's a corticosteroid and antihistamine, but for Zody it's worth the general drowsiness he has on it to break the cycle of his allergies. I've found that once the cycle is broken the benedryl seems to work better. With him I keep him on it for around a week and slowly wean him off.

Have you tried feeding her the coconut oil, and is the coconut oil cold pressed and unrefined? Feeding it to her can help, and the type is important because heat used in processing can destroy some of the benefits of the oil.........
I did get the right kind of coconut oil...cold pressed, unrefined suitable for human use.

I haven't heard of the Temaril P. My vet is usually pretty good about suggesting different treatments. She might have mentioned corticosteroid just not a brand name, but I'm not certain...we've talked about a number of things over the past few seasons.

My vet seemed to be pretty hopeful that the blood test and custom serum might do the trick. But, as she said, we would want to test Jaya in the warmer spring as her allergies are triggered..and not while the cold weather is happening (which has already hit on some days) - being the cold may have reduced a number of pollens already.

Thanks for the links on the coconut oils and the allergy tips.

Oh, one of the tips mentioned: I would love to soak Jaya's feet before bringing her into the house to see if that would help, as she does lick her paws a lot - but, again, that feral part of her is a major barrier in attempting this.

I'm feeling fortunate that she just comes to me now when I call her. I know she wouldn't hang around on the porch long enough for me to get a leash on her, and then mess with her by putting her feet in water and washing them.

l also fear that if I started to do something she didn't like each time I called her in, I would be back at square 1 and her not coming to me at all when I call her. : (

She is back on the prozac...in an attempt to counteract what the predozone did in reversing all that progress I made with her....she had calmed down so much....and all that was ruined. Maybe in 3 or 4 months she'll be in a much calmer state again, and I can start working with her more on allowing me to touch her without her ducking away and running. Once I can do that, then slipping/clipping a leash on will go easier.

Stormy

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
I did get the right kind of coconut oil...cold pressed, unrefined suitable for human use.

I haven't heard of the Temaril P. My vet is usually pretty good about suggesting different treatments. She might have mentioned corticosteroid just not a brand name, but I'm not certain...we've talked about a number of things over the past few seasons.

My vet seemed to be pretty hopeful that the blood test and custom serum might do the trick. But, as she said, we would want to test Jaya in the warmer spring as her allergies are triggered..and not while the cold weather is happening (which has already hit on some days) - being the cold may have reduced a number of pollens already.

Thanks for the links on the coconut oils and the allergy tips.

Oh, one of the tips mentioned: I would love to soak Jaya's feet before bringing her into the house to see if that would help, as she does lick her paws a lot - but, again, that feral part of her is a major barrier in attempting this.

I'm feeling fortunate that she just comes to me now when I call her. I know she wouldn't hang around on the porch long enough for me to get a leash on her, and then mess with her by putting her feet in water and washing them.

l also fear that if I started to do something she didn't like each time I called her in, I would be back at square 1 and her not coming to me at all when I call her. : (

She is back on the prozac...in an attempt to counteract what the predozone did in reversing all that progress I made with her....she had calmed down so much....and all that was ruined. Maybe in 3 or 4 months she'll be in a much calmer state again, and I can start working with her more on allowing me to touch her without her ducking away and running. Once I can do that, then slipping/clipping a leash on will go easier.

Stormy

I wish there was some way to communicate to her that your trying to help her:( I agree that forcing her to do what she is fearful of to often will probably undo all your hard work in winning her trust.

I forgot that it was prednizone that she was reacting to, that might be why the vet did not suggest Temaril P, the P stands for prednizone. I'm pretty sure that it's what makes Zody so lethargic, I'd hate to keep him on it on a permanent basis.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Btw, this is Jaya...some may remember what she looked like from prior posts, but if not.... : )

[/URL]

-------
Stormy

Reactions: Rain

·
Registered
22 Posts
What foods did you have her on?

Also you should really try (I know its hard) to keep her stress levels as down as possible. Stress is very very detrimental to the body, ours and dogs. There are many techniques and helpful videos to calm a fearful dog. Even if she'll always be fearful of everything else, if she can trust you it will do wonders. My grandparents had the most aggressive and fearful dog I had ever seen. She was about 5 when they got her. She was a chihuahua and the family had abused the crap out of her Taking her tail and slamming her against the wall. They finally earned her trust after awhile. Until the end of her days she still never liked anyone besides my grandparents.

Jaya still has a long road ahead of her. If she was taking steroids I can imagine she was getting more aggressive and growling. The one thing that kind stood out to me was this "Jaya went right back into her fearful ways...plus started growling and barking at stuff that I couldn't see or hear....she would just run through the house with a low growl...then stop and look up and bark. Weird. I took her of the Predizone before I was even finished with what was left in the container. "

I know, I don't want to sound like one of "those people" but are you sure there is no paranormal activity in your house? Dogs are very sensitive to these kinds of things. Most common signs are growling and barking at absolutely nothing. The prozac may just be blocking these things out. I mean obviously she was abused and fearful but it just really strikes me as odd that fact she was displaying such abnormal behavior on that medication. Of course if your house is brand new with no previous owners that is a pretty good sign its not paranormal. I say pretty good because things can be tied to the land itself so it's hard to tell. Just throwing that out there because it is a real possibility.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts