Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have very recently taken in a rescue jack russell. She seems to be so perfect for us. She is loving and so far showing no signs of aggression to anyone. I have a almost three year old daughter. I am not silly and never ever leave a dog with her. Even my softie border collie cross dalmatian comes out of the room if I have to leave. She sleeps with her door shut and is never on her own with them both.

What I am asking is can you get a jack russell that is so loving as she seems to be? She seems too perfect. There has been a few bad reports recently regarding jack russells but I have a good feeling about her.

Also I would like tips to introduce her to a baby, our baby, if and when we have one. Nothing like being prepared. Our other dog I know what to do but what with her being a terrier, I am not too sure.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Not all Jacks are hyper which might cause aggression. I had a female who was a sweet heart. Would not hurt anything. I am one who believes that temperament is more based on how the dog is raised then what breed it is. Any dog can be trained for anything. Some just catch on quicker then others because of what they were bred for.

Just like introducing another dog through a fence. Introducing a new baby would be the same. Of course you would not put a baby in a kennel..:) but a play pen works the same way.

·
Banned
419 Posts
I have owned a Jack Russell while having small children (I believe they were 2.5 and 11 months when we purchased her). She was the sweetest dog to ALL people. A bit DA but loved people a lot.
I never had an issue with her. A poodle/shih tzu that I was fostering at the time was another story :s
All dogs should be taken on a case by case basis. Would I normally recommend a JRT for people with young children? No. I wouldn't normally recommend them for ANYONE. But if this particular JRT is amazing with your kids and your other dog- AWESOME!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi

Thanks for replying. I am happy to say that our jack russell, apart from the separation anxiety, is very good with my daughter so far. She has not been aggressive with her at all. She does try and play with her when my other half lifts her off the floor and spins her, I think she thinks it is a game. She barks and jumps up. She doesn't bite her.

She is such a loving little girl. The relationship between her and our other dog is OK, although they do have a bit of a bicker when a toy or a treat is involved, but not normal food. For example, they have a bit of a scrap (with tails wagging at all times) when one of them catches a ball before the other one, but that is often started by our other dog.

I don't think they have established their pecking order yet. I have seen some videos of dogs that properly growl and their back is raised..it isn't like this and only lasts seconds. Hope this isn't something to be worried about?

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
Not every dog has to growl at each other to settle into their place. Or possibly it hasn't been long enough for it to be an issue.

Jacks with children- just be sure the child isn't overly rough or is picking up the dog inappropriately and it sounds like she'll be fine.

Jacks with infants- NEVER EVER leave the dog alone with the infant. Jacks were bred to chase vermin, including injured vermin who may lay on the ground waving their limbs and making crying sounds. And if you think that description sounds alot like an infant you're right. Its possible she'd be fine, but don't take the risk. Its something thats true with any dog, but especially terriers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply. We never ever leave our daughter with the dogs, not even my other dog that of seven years of being with us has showed no aggression. I am very very aware that a dog, even the best behaved dog in the world, can suddenly change..through illness or anything. So no worries there, we watch our daughter all the time and the way that she interacts with our dogs and we correct her when she is doing something that could cause the dogs to get irritated,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts