Dog Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As well as Charlie, my cocker spaniel, I have a J R Terrier called Patch.

He is true to his breed and tries to kill birds, cats, squirrels, which I know is in his nature but its very upsetting. Just been on a walk and he got a gull. He's so quick, I never had a chance to stop him and neither did the bird. :(

I have thought of muzzling him when on a walk but my worry is, if another dog attacked him he could not defend himself.

Does anyone here have a J R Terrier? and, how do you deal with this?

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!

I dont' have experience with this breed, personally owning one...I do think that you pretty much have to be an expert to have one though lol ;)

Mikey caught a duck one day-he's fast and hunty too. We put a cat bell on his collar and this helped a lot (he has not caught one since) so that worked for us.

JRT are really drivey dogs with lots of energy...I would think anything you can do to mentally stimulate and wear him out would go a long way for this issue-like teaching him to use a treadmill and doing lots of obedience/trick training.

As for reducing a drive-that's difficult. Anyways, I am probably not too much help as I've never owned one. I'm sure others iwll be able to offer some help too !

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for answering :D

We've had Patch since he was 18 mths old, he's now four years old. We got him from a rescue centre and he was a little s**t for a long time lol. With a lot of patience and hard work he is loads better but still has this killing problem. Usually the birds hear him coming and fly off in time.

I've decided my best bet would be to muzzle him when he's on his walks. That would def save the poor birds, cats etc from being hurt or killed.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
you can use a basket muzzle as opposed to a traditional muzzle so he could breathe more normal while walking. have you used a halti before? it is NOT a muzzle but you lead the animal by the head and have more control of the dog that way (like a horse), but I don't know how he will take to it being a JRT with a strong personality.

~MSE

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Iam confused...is the dog off leash? I can't imagine him getting that close to bird ON leash.

As for other dogs attacking him....carry a big big stick...its your job to defend him...not for him to defend himself :) :)
I am assuming the dog is not leashed. Maybe leash the dog, you can get a longer leash to allow him to run but that way you actually keep control of your dog when he goes to chase something. I am guessing where you live there are no leash laws?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Jacks need a job to keep busy. If they aren't burning enough energy (which they have alot of) then their kill instinct really sets in. I have owned three Jacks and they were all great dogs, while they were busy and burned lots of energy but in the winter when we were as active with them the neighbors cats were fair game. I would suggest walking him at least three times daily (maybe even add some weights) and start training for agility if you have the time. Burn that energy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a basket muzzle and tried it on him indoors last night, he didnt like it much, we'll try it on his walk today.

Yes he was on his leash when he caught the bird. Its an extendable lead so he gets to run. The bird was sitting under a bush. Usually the birds fly off well before he gets to them or I spot them and move him outa the way. It was a shock when he got this one, soooo quick. (was the bird asleep? do birds sleep?)

I live in a small seaside town in Essex, UK. The only leash law is a certain part of our beach. At the far end of the beach where hardly anyone goes, we let him off leash and boy can he run....he's like a greyhound, lol.

I like the halti idea. I shall buy one as he pulls like mad, its a wonder my arm is still in its socket ;D

Thank you to everyone for your replies and support :D

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Cute!!

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
looks mischievous!

~MSE

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have seen some dogs have a stuff or rubber toy in their mouth while taking a walk. So I wondered what if you train your dog to carry his toy while walking? If it doesn't help, it may slow him down (maybe?). Hmm... second though have him carry his own leash while walking and if he launches at least you can grab the leash...LOL

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
This thread is two years old. It's reallly really old...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.