Dog Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
From the ASPCA website:

What Should I Do If I Think My Dog Has Ear Mites?
It is important to bring your dog to a veterinarian for accurate diagnosis. Your veterinarian will take a sample of ear discharge and evaluate it microscopically to confirm the presence of ear mites. Avoid self-diagnosis, since certain types of bacterial infections can mimic the symptoms of ear mites.

How Are Ear Mites Treated?
  • Ear mites can be treated with products your veterinarian will prescribe that are applied directly in the ear or parasite medications that are applied right to the skin.
  • If the ears have infections or build-up of debris, gentle cleaning may be required with cotton and a canine ear cleaner. (This may require sedation, depending on the dog’s temperament and the severity of build-up.)
  • Your veterinarian may also prescribe anti-inflammatory drugs or an antibiotic to resolve infections.
  • A dog will start to feel relief soon after treatment begins, but please complete the full cycle of treatment and remember that all animals in a household need to be treated to ensure full eradication.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.