Dog Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dog (15 lbs) has ear mite. Is ivermectin effective for ear mite?
any idea about dosage?
I've read in some websites that ivermectin 1% (Injection) must used orally in dogs, is it true?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
because of symptoms :

Itching of the ears, head and neck
Excessive scratching at ears and around head
Frequently shaking the head
Thick red-brown or black crusts in the outer ear
Coffee ground like bumps in the ear canal

·
Registered
48 Posts
because of symptoms :

Itching of the ears, head and neck
Excessive scratching at ears and around head
Frequently shaking the head
Thick red-brown or black crusts in the outer ear
Coffee ground like bumps in the ear canal
Those could also just be signs of an ear infection with yeast or bacteria. Since Ivermectin is NOT safe for all dogs, do NOT decide to give it on your own. Have the vet see if it's an infection or mites and get appropriate treatment.

·
Registered
108 Posts
From the ASPCA website:

What Should I Do If I Think My Dog Has Ear Mites?
It is important to bring your dog to a veterinarian for accurate diagnosis. Your veterinarian will take a sample of ear discharge and evaluate it microscopically to confirm the presence of ear mites. Avoid self-diagnosis, since certain types of bacterial infections can mimic the symptoms of ear mites.

How Are Ear Mites Treated?
  • Ear mites can be treated with products your veterinarian will prescribe that are applied directly in the ear or parasite medications that are applied right to the skin.
  • If the ears have infections or build-up of debris, gentle cleaning may be required with cotton and a canine ear cleaner. (This may require sedation, depending on the dog’s temperament and the severity of build-up.)
  • Your veterinarian may also prescribe anti-inflammatory drugs or an antibiotic to resolve infections.
  • A dog will start to feel relief soon after treatment begins, but please complete the full cycle of treatment and remember that all animals in a household need to be treated to ensure full eradication.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Those could also just be signs of an ear infection with yeast or bacteria. Since Ivermectin is NOT safe for all dogs, do NOT decide to give it on your own. Have the vet see if it's an infection or mites and get appropriate treatment.

I second this ^ Have a vet look at it, those symptoms don't necessarily mean ear mites.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.