Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm having some trouble coming up with a good Flea/Tick medication for my Border Collie. Levi is on Nexgard and Heartgard, and I love it for him. He has no side effects, happily chomps it down, and I have good peace of mind. My vet won't give that to my BC because of the Ivermectin components in it. They have her on a topical which I don't like, and I don't like collars because Levi and Heidi play so rough with each other.

My question is, I thought the Collies were only sensitive if they had the MRD1 gene. Levi for sure doesn't have it (breeder tested him), so can I not just get Heidi tested for it and then put her on the same medication?
@TiggerBounce - I'd love to hear your advice, since you work in a vet clinic and have a BC. :)

·
Registered
507 Posts
Yes, add long as your dog is not positive for MDR1, you can safely treat with all drugs, as long as you are very careful to stick to the suggested dose for their weight. However, many people still avoid them even with dogs without the mutation, especially with ivermectin.

I would absolutely suggest testing, just so you have it on hand. The breeder I'm on the waiting list for only breeds dogs negative for the mutation, but even still I will get the test anyway, mostly so I have the paper copy to show to vets if needed.

Washington State University has the best information I've found on MDR1. http://vcpl.vetmed.wsu.edu

While I'm no expert, I've done a lot of research on it, and hopefully I answered clearly. I'm on mobile and super tired, so I apologize if I don't make sense.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
So, I'm having some trouble coming up with a good Flea/Tick medication for my Border Collie. Levi is on Nexgard and Heartgard, and I love it for him. He has no side effects, happily chomps it down, and I have good peace of mind. My vet won't give that to my BC because of the Ivermectin components in it. They have her on a topical which I don't like, and I don't like collars because Levi and Heidi play so rough with each other.

My question is, I thought the Collies were only sensitive if they had the MRD1 gene. Levi for sure doesn't have it (breeder tested him), so can I not just get Heidi tested for it and then put her on the same medication?

@TiggerBounce - I'd love to hear your advice, since you work in a vet clinic and have a BC. :)
Since he's MDR1 negative then there's absolutely no reason he can't have Nexgard or Heartgard

If the vet insists still on nothing ivermectin based, even after being shown the paperwork, then you can ask about Bravecto. Or script it out if he doesn't carry it. Research has shown it to be perfectly safe for MDR1 mutants.

Here's a link if you're up for some not-so-light reading. It's been tested in collies at even higher doses than typical use and still no issues. Safety of fluralaner, a novel systemic antiparasitic drug, in MDR1(-/-) Collies after oral administration

I personally don't use a darn thing on mine. My GSD has a seresto collar, but that's it. I spray the collie down with Wondercide, which is a natural flea/tick repellant, before we go hiking or out to public areas and that's about it. They just don't seem to get fleas too often.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Revolution might be an option for you. It covers fleas, ticks, heartworms, and some other stuff. It is a topical that is not Ivermectin based. But truly, there is no reason not to give Ivermectin to your pup.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
First what are you hoping the dewormer will take care of? You're down east so a heart worm preventative is definitely something to continue to be on. Revolution is a good one that takes care of Ticks, fleas, off label use for mites, hookworm, round worm and heart worm.

I personally use Revolution during the summer when we're out in the bush and drontal in the fall - when Tess is more likely to get at horse, goose and deer poop.

I'd still get Heidi tested though, just in case. Especially if someone were to give her pepto, or to help your vet determine proper sedation - both can cause issues in a dog that has the gene.

Reactions: Shandula

·
Registered
368 Posts
Just so you know two things: 1) as mentioned already, the dose of Ivermectin in heart worm preventatives is far too low to be dangerous even for MDR1 dogs. … and 2) Revolution DOES have an avermectin product in it: Selemectin (very similar to ivermectin and just as dangerous to MDR1 dogs at TREATMENT doses), but also just as SAFE as Ivermectin when used at its normal PREVENTATIVE dose as found in Revolution.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts