Dog Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
@BryanB I think given the amount of exercise you are saying you can give the dog.. (and Im not bashing at least you are realistic and honest) a low activity dog such as an english bulldog might suit best. They are lazy homebodies not given to running off after squirrels and such.
While dogs like spaniels BC aussies etc are great trainable dogs without a job they are monsters who will take your house to bits.
Sight and scent hounds whippets, beagles, greyhounds, etc would be off and running never to be seen again in an unfenced yard and even an invisible fence (illegal here) wont keep them once they are fixed on a scent.

Its really good that you are exploring lots of sources and lots of options before committing.. I cant tell you how many rescues weve had because people buy on impulse and then cant cope with the reality of what the dogs need..

Good luck with your search.
I lost jesse for nearly an hr once. In the blink of an eye he was gone. I didnt even see him take off.

·
Super Moderator
214 Posts
If its unfenced and the dog is off lead,,, I think people are saying any fit hunting or scent hound could be off and away in seconds.. Both of mine would find 3 acres no trouble at all if the got scent of something to chase.
Exactly! Milly could be a quarter of a mile away in a minute. Recall flies out the window.

·
Super Moderator
214 Posts
Sorry lmmb i completely took that comment the wrong way. I thought you were meaning any dog needed more than 3acres to be happy.
That's OK. If dogs needed more than 3 acres to be happy, I wouldn't be able to have them, never mind @BryanB , lol. :D

21 - 24 of 24 Posts