Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Zody and I were walking along the fence line of the dog park at the apartments across the road. He was doing really well and getting treats for spotting people when a large boxer came running up to us from nowhere, and was next to us before I knew it.:mad: Now the dog was simply curious, but Zody is fearful of large dogs and there's no telling if he would want to run or if he would try bluffing and do a full aggressive display, complete with snapping. I could not see the dogs owner.

I tried leaving Zody on the ground since I know from experience that he'll act worse if I pick him up. That worked for around 2 seconds, the dog kept trying to get in his space so Zody started growling. I put my deep voice on, shouted NO at the dog, and scooped Zody up before he could start a fight. I shouted NO again, and the dog's owner finally strolled into view and called him. Thankfully he went to her and they went into the dogs park. Honestly I do not know why I told her I was, "Sorry, my dog is not friendly" when it was her that was in the wrong. I'm just grateful that a dog fight was avoided.

I know that it would have been my 10.8 lb dog that would have started it since hers was just wanting to sniff, but there's a leash law in this town and her dog was not on it's leash, she was carrying it. My dog would have been either seriously hurt, or killed, if a dog fight wouldn't have started. Why, can't people simply leash up their dogs???

Reactions: CadenceDiscordia

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Ugh, poor Zody! The no leash thing drives me absolutely bonkers. My guys are getting very good at LLW, except when we are headed to the park. I think the excitement just over-takes them or something. So it already takes us FOREVER to walk a 5 minute distance. I swear, every time we are able to walk nicely for a few steps, some dog comes bounding over and my guys go nuts.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ugh, poor Zody! The no leash thing drives me absolutely bonkers. My guys are getting very good at LLW, except when we are headed to the park. I think the excitement just over-takes them or something. So it already takes us FOREVER to walk a 5 minute distance. I swear, every time we are able to walk nicely for a few steps, some dog comes bounding over and my guys go nuts.

Yep, the my dog's should be free to run at large owners tend to undo a lot of training that responsible owners do with their dogs.

It's going to be interesting to see if the Boxer undid any of the work I put into getting Zody to not react to large dogs. He'd been doing so good around them lately as long as we kept a couple yards between us and them.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Yep, the my dog's should be free to run at large owners tend to undo a lot of training that responsible owners do with their dogs.

It's going to be interesting to see if the Boxer undid any of the work I put into getting Zody to not react to large dogs. He'd been doing so good around them lately as long as we kept a couple yards between us and them.
How can that be possible? If your dog is trained, they are trained and they would react appropriately to an off-leash dog. If he didn't react the way you want then your good work hasn't worked yet, he is still reactive.

My dog will instantly sit if he sees another dog running towards him because he was trained to do that, he doesn't forget and revert to being reactive.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
How can that be possible? If your dog is trained, they are trained and they would react appropriately to an off-leash dog. If he didn't react the way you want then your good work hasn't worked yet, he is still reactive.

My dog will instantly sit if he sees another dog running towards him because he was trained to do that, he doesn't forget and revert to being reactive.
You know there's such a thing as being "in training". You don't just teach a thing once and never have to teach it again. A traumatizing experience can absolutely put a kink in your training process.

·
Registered
662 Posts
You know there's such a thing as being "in training". You don't just teach a thing once and never have to teach it again. A traumatizing experience can absolutely put a kink in your training process.
Yeah, I know what in-training is. But that means the dog is not trained and you have more work to do, or your methods aren't working.

ETA: From the OP's post the Boxer clearly was not aggressive, so the issue was with her dog, not the unleashed one, so I wouldn't describe the encounter as "traumatizing". It was a description of a reactive dog.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts

Oh, if only fear were that simple...

·
Registered
662 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Yeah, I know what in-training is. But that means the dog is not trained and you have more work to do, or your methods aren't working.

ETA: From the OP's post the Boxer clearly was not aggressive, so the issue was with her dog, not the unleashed one, so I wouldn't describe the encounter as "traumatizing". It was a description of a reactive dog.
Maybe it wasn't traumatizing to you, but to a tiny dog it can be. You own a very large dog so maybe it might be difficult for you to grasp the concept of the fear some dogs face when the whole world is massive to them. Just because the boxer wasn't aggressive doesn't mean it should've been allowed to roam. People with reactive dogs shouldn't have to keep there dogs locked up because they're in training, owners should keep their dogs on a leash. Not all dogs learn in a week, just because a dog is taking awhile to learn doesn't mean the method isn't working. It's great that you don't have any problems with training your dogs ever, but stop assuming anyone who has a hiccup in their training just isn't doing it right. It's getting tiring.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Maybe it wasn't traumatizing to you, but to a tiny dog it can be. You own a very large dog so maybe it might be difficult for you to grasp the concept of the fear some dogs face when the whole world is massive to them. Just because the boxer wasn't aggressive doesn't mean it should've been allowed to roam. People with reactive dogs shouldn't have to keep there dogs locked up because they're in training, owners should keep their dogs on a leash. Not all dogs learn in a week, just because a dog is taking awhile to learn doesn't mean the method isn't working. It's great that you don't have any problems with training your dogs ever, but stop assuming anyone who has a hiccup in their training just isn't doing it right. It's getting tiring.
I am sorry you are finding my posts "tiring". But I can assure you, I had a reactive dog, a giant reactive dog which is far more difficult than a small one. With the techniques of NDT, I was able to "cure" him of his reactivity very quickly.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I am sorry you are finding my posts "tiring". But I can assure you, I had a reactive dog, a giant reactive dog which is far more difficult than a small one. With the techniques of NDT, I was able to "cure" him of his reactivity very quickly.
If you were able to "cure" his reactivity "very quickly" I have a feeling that his reactivity was based off excitement and not fear, which is a completely different can of beans.

·
Registered
662 Posts
His dog reactivity was excitement based, but his reactivity to skateboarders, cyclists, joggers, and strollers wasn't. Have you actually tried pushing with your dog?

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I am a responsible dog owner I follow the LAW. It is the LAW in my town that dogs be leashed.

The other dog owner was not responsible, not only did she choose to break the law, she also let her dog run out of her eyesight, therefore out of her immediate control since she could not see what it was doing. Add to that the fact that when she heard me hollering NO at her dog she neither choose to call her dog, nor come running to see what the problem was.

Tell me where I ever stated that my dog is no longer reactive. I am working with him, and he's improved a lot in the time that I've had him, Training has nothing to do with it, I am trying to help him change the way he feels about the things he sees and help him behave appropriately.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

The issue was with the woman not having her dog on a leash, not with my dog

I happen to think I should be able to keep my distance from other dogs if I so choose and that's impossible when that dog is allowed to run around loose.

I also have a friend who lives in that apartment complex who has a phobia of dogs, all dogs, but it's worse when she knows that a dog is loose, add in the size of that dog and if it had run up to her she'd have been terrified. There's another lady who lives across the street in my apartment complex who is even more fearful of dogs then my friend is. I've seen her jump back in a car because of a loose, friendly dog, and she happened to know that dog. She refused to come out until I had grabbed the dog, when I asked if she knew where the dog lived, she did and I got the dog back to it's owner. But hey, I suppose the problem isn't with the loose dogs in those cases either.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I'm sorry that happened Rain, I hope there isn't any set backs for Zody. I know how annoying and sometime worrying when a loose dog runs up to you and your leashed dog.
Thankfully all cases were ive encounted loose dogs is with Sawyer who likes dogs, which is good because they were all barking at us and ran out of there yards (the last time was a big mastiff mix). I don't know what I would have done if I had Maye with me since she's very iffy with new dogs. I'm glad nothing serious happened and I hope you don't have to deal with that again.

Reactions: Rain

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Leash laws are the rule here too, however there seems always to be a small percentage of people that seem to operate under the premise that laws and rules are always for someone else, but not for them. I too find it very annoying when Samantha and I encounter an unleashed dog, which fortunately does not happen too often. No matter how well trained a dog may be, they are still dogs, and can be set-off by something they see, hear or smell.

·
Registered
662 Posts
The issue was with the woman not having her dog on a leash, not with my dog

I happen to think I should be able to keep my distance from other dogs if I so choose and that's impossible when that dog is allowed to run around loose.
I also think that dogs should be on leashes, and the woman was wrong to let her dog run loose. I am, however, suggesting a technique to help improve your dog's reactivity. It stopped my dog's issues within a couple of weeks. That's all.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Sorry, but I am in the "Deal with it" camp. Although I agree with leash laws, the world should not have to live in a bubble because your dog "might" be reactive. Off leash dogs are a reality and are gonna happen.

Based on your responses...sounds like your dog is feeding off of your energy. I do not mean that as a negative but it is a much different approach vs using the unexpected and/or unwelcome opportunity as training situation to help desensitize your dog rather than it being a dramatic experience.

Others have said that they hope you do not have to deal with it again..I hope you do, many times...again, not as a negative but rather as building a positive experience so that it becomes a non issue for your little one.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry, but I am in the "Deal with it" camp. Although I agree with leash laws, the world should not have to live in a bubble because your dog "might" be reactive. Off leash dogs are a reality and are gonna happen.

Based on your responses...sounds like your dog is feeding off of your energy. I do not mean that as a negative but it is a much different approach vs using the unexpected and/or unwelcome opportunity as training situation to help desensitize your dog rather than it being a dramatic experience.

Others have said that they hope you do not have to deal with it again..I hope you do, many times...again, not as a negative but rather as building a positive experience so that it becomes a non issue for your little one.

Actually no, he's not feeding off my energy. I'm more then willing to let him try and greet other dogs, in fact that was one of the reasons I left him on the ground. I left him right up until he stiffened, his hackles rose, and he began to growl. What would you have me do? Leave him down there and see if he didn't start a fight that could get him killed in one bite from the other dog? I'm not a nervous dog owner, I do not feel the need to shelter him from every experience. I've owned, a blind, anxious, elderly, dog that I've helped get over the majority of his anxiety by allowing him to try stuff for himself and encouraging him to do so. When that dog was young he thought he was 10 ft tall and bullet proof, more then willing to try and pester dogs that outweighted him by 100 lbs, yet I was content to watch so long as it did not get out of control. I've owned a dog that was thunder phobic and I eventually got her to where she could ignore everything but extremely bad thunderstorms. Again I did so by not acting nervous, or babying her. I'm no different with Zody.

What you are proposing is that I flood him which I am completely unwilling to do. I will not willingly put him so far out of his comfort zone that he is forced into fight or flight mode and with a large loose dog it will be fight since he will not be able to flee. You've never seen my dog do his darndest to start a fight, I have. You've never seen him do so with a dog that just wants to sniff, or play, I have. You've not seen him act fine with something only to decide to lunge and snap with very little warning, I have. I know my dog, you do not.

I do work with him with large dogs, quite successfully, but the key is those dogs are on leash, those dogs are in control of an owner who can keep their dog from coming into contact with mine. While he is usually willing to sniff other, small, dogs, he is not yet willing to do so with larger ones, we're working on it and are not yet there, but we can get a few feet from one.

I am not expecting the world to accommodate me, nor to live in a bubble because of my dog, but I am expecting everyone to obey the law. Hmmm :ponder:maybe I should let my boy fully experience the world, and everyone can just deal with it, I'll just let him off leash.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
whether or not the leashed dog is reactive, in an area with a mandatory law to keep the dog on the leash, a dog should be leashed.
period.
And if not, it is the job as a handler of an unleashed dog to be in sight and stop their animal from bothering others, regardless if the own dog is friendly or not.

people with dogs on the bigger side also sometimes forget that letting your unleashed dog close to a leashed strange dog can be pretty dangerous, since their own dogs are pretty robust in comparison to most other dogs.
One day they meet the "wrong" dog...one that's more bite than bark.

plus there are tons of other reasons why you should let a unleashed dog to a leashed one.
We've got a lot of rescues from other countries around and they can still be in quarantine/ adjustment.
The leashed dog could be old, handicapped, still recovering from a surgery or intact and in heat.
overall it's just a stupid idea.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts