Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I'm new to the forum and in need of advice. I have a 14 month old pitbull. Everyone he kisses ends up itchy and having small rashes. I'm not allergic to dogs. I'm curious if anyone has experience with this condition. When I say everyone he kisses gets itchy, I mean everyone. So it's not a case of allergies. I hope someone has an answer.

Now some information about him. Achilles is a very energetic dog. He's up to date on all his shots. We recently took him to the vet to have a skin scrape. And to have his condition checked out. All the vet said was that we were allergic. Reason I'm doubtful is because we have had numerous dogs and none of which this has ever happened. People who have dogs get kisses from him and they break out in rashes. We feed him blue Buffalo wilderness. We started off by feeding him taste of the wild, but switched to blue because we thought the food was the problem. We switch recipes to ensure it isn't a specific flavor. We had Achilles every since he was a puppy. He always had this condition. So, if anyone has some experience, please Let me know what you did. Thank you in advance.

Chuck
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,222 Posts
People aren't allergic to a dog - people are allergic to proteins on the dog (dander) or what's coming out of the dog. Saliva proteins are a big one. Some people can't handle dog kisses.

Now is there anything you can do to create a more hypoallergenic dog? Raw fed dogs have been known to be less allergenic. Less crap in, less crap out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. I'lll give him a raw diet to see if there's any signs of improvement. Are there any products to help clean what ever it might be we're getting this reaction from.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,222 Posts
Thanks for the response. I'lll give him a raw diet to see if there's any signs of improvement. Are there any products to help clean what ever it might be we're getting this reaction from.
You can't just give him a raw diet, needs to be done properly if you're not sure.

I can tell you that 2 years ago, friends were allergic to the minpin - while he was on kibble. Now that he's been raw fed for a year and a half, these same people can tolerate being around him much better. Do I know the science behind it? No.

To my knowledge, there is nothing on the market that can make your dog's saliva less allergenic. Other than trying to teach your dog not to lick - but for some dogs...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,224 Posts
Thanks for the response. I'lll give him a raw diet to see if there's any signs of improvement. Are there any products to help clean what ever it might be we're getting this reaction from.
Raw takes some research, and dedication to feed correctly if prey model is fed. Just FYI, here is a link to a site with good info just to look into..Prey Model Raw - PMR dog food. It has a getting started guide as well as forums of all raw feeders.

You can also do commercial raw, but look into the different brand, and try to feed one that has as little as possible unnecessary ingredients. Meaning, you want to look for high amounts of meat/bone/organ. Little to no fruits or veggies. Dogs don't need those. And they are still commercial, so it's hard to determine exactly how much of what is in it from batch to batch.

Prey model is the better way to go, but do look into it first as to the correct way to feed it, if you are serious about raw.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
I don't think diet would make a difference. I'm allergic to one of my dogs licks (I get itchy and hives for a few seconds), but not my other dog's licks. They have the same diet. I just avoid getting doggy kisses!
Posted via Mobile Device
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dogone, I knew there had to be another person with the same situation. Well, I got my boy a few 1lb bags of vital essentials purely raw. I'm gonna see how he reacts to the new food. Hopefully this helps. But if not I'll just have to teach him how not to be such a happy dog(sarcasm)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well it's been a few weeks, and I have to say that going raw did the trick for the most part. To make sure it was the food. I gave him kibbles for a few days and I instantly got itchy. Hopefully I can continue to feed him raw or find a kibble that stops the reaction we get from him. Wanted to thank you guys again. This was truly a successful thread.

Chuck
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top