Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our pup is scratching again, and we are at a loss.

This 4 year old minpin came from a "questionable" breeder from the west coast of Canada, don't even know who she is. Her son was driving, seen a sign and bought a dog. Long story short, he's in our hands. He's got soft ribs, his floating ribs will actually cross over one another, many defects so to speak.

3 years, vet after vet, chasing allergies. Food trial after food trial, no change. Switched him to strict raw, did 2 month food trial with wild bison that a hunter friend supplied - then switched immediately to rabbit. No change. GF moved in here, completely different environment, no change. We have changed up blankets, washing soap, cleaning agents to no avail.

After 3 years with no diagnosis, he was starting to crash, we didn't know if he was going to make it if he stayed the course. Aside from the scratching and biting, his condition got worse to the point where he was taking mini seizures - he would just stand there and stare. Almost had to think before he jumped on the couch, very unsure of himself. Last vet finally agreed with me and did a synthroid trial - dog did a complete about face, stopped scratching and biting, all the symptoms went away.

When that script finished, she gave us "thyro-tab" which are generic, and the dog regressed within a month, back to scratching and biting like crazy. Back on synthroid, he's gotten better, but not 100%

Now we are back to the scratching and biting. But not anywhere as severe as it was before. He's back to chewing on tail and getting the moth eaten appearance again. Scratching his ears, although there doesn't seem to be any infection. He's getting diarrhea more frequently again.

I'm at a loss. He's got a full blood panel coming up including thyroid in a month once this script is finished. If I went through what he's gone through in the last 3 years, I'd be an old grump - but he's still such a sweet dog.

·
Registered
58 Posts
If it is a thyroid issue the only thing that will help is getting his thyroid under control unfortunately. It can be rough finding the right meds to control a thyroid instability, but once you do he will hopefully be much better!

Thank you for rescuing him! I doubt he would receive the care you have given him in many homes!

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Had a good talk to the gf tonite, and we are switching back to full raw starting in the morning. Too many changes on the go. We switched to a mainly cooked diet right after putting him on synthroid, then a month later he was switched to generic thyro-tab, maybe it took a month for any issues with cooked diet to arrive. who knows, but it's back to square one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts