Dog Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My schnauzer is itchy all the time! We thought that it was fleas, but he has been treated multiple ways, from baths to K9 Advantix. I took him to the groomer the other day and she said that she saw nothing on him, and we never see any bugs on him or around the house either. Now that he has had his hair cut, we are noticing places where he has scratched himself raw and where he has scabs and gross dry skin spots. He is being fed Loyal Lamb and Rice (supposed to help with skin problems) and has been since I got him. I don't give him baths super often that would dry him out. I dont know what the problem is. Any suggestions, or what I could do to help him?

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
If he's been on that food a while, it may be time to consider switching him to a different food. Food allergies to anything can develop over time and he's a nice age for them to develop. You'd have to switch him to a novel protein diet since the protein source in the food is the most common allergen (not the grains) and stick to this diet alone (no treats, no table scraps etc) for 6-8 weeks. Good proteins to try are venison, duck, bison, kangaroo, or salmon. Pick one.

Your dog is also at a good age that this could be environmental allergies. Does your dog itch year round or only during certain months? Where does he scratch? Does he have any ear infections? Chew his feet? legs? butt?

How do you apply the Advantix and when do you give it relative to the baths? Are you cleaning your house thoroughly enough to ensure there are no fleas around? Consider buying a flea collar and putting it in your vacuum bag or canister.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Poison ivy? We have it near the stream and in the small bit of woods out back and cocoa has gotten it on her feet. She didn't get bumps just more pink than usual skin.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
He is being fed Loyal Lamb and Rice (supposed to help with skin problems)
loyal lamb and rice ingredients
Lamb, brewers rice, corn gluten meal, whole grain wheat, poultry by-product meal (natural source of glucosamine), oat meal, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), soy flakes, pearled barley, fish meal (natural

I am not surprised by the itching because of the ingredients in this food.
The corn gluten meal, wheat,soy flakes are all allergy forming foods.
The poultry by products and animal fat are also not good nutritious sources of real food that will help build a good strong immune system.I would try a single source food like blue basics or wellness simple. I have had good results with the Blue Buffalo Basic grain free turkey formula.
BLUE Basics - Choose the best dog food flavor for your dog
Wellness® Dog Simple Recipes

By-products alone are not the concern, but rather the concentration of them. Animal parts like feet, cartilage, and other by-products contain protein, but not an easily digestible protein. The best organ meat is sold separately, such as in liver treats, and never makes it into dog food by-products. If a food contains too high a percentage of by-products, much of the protein in the food will not be nutritionally available to the dog's body.

Animal Fat: Animal fat is a "generic" fat source that is most often made up of rendered animal fat, restaurant grease, or other oils too rancid or deemed inedible for humans. Look for a named fat source, such as poultry or chicken fat, that is naturally preserved.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I know it is not poision ivy, because he is always supervised when he is outside, though that is a good suggestion. I really don't think it is the food either. He was itchy from day 1 when I got him, and he was on Purina feed for the first few weeks while I was gradually switching him over. I really think it is just a dry skin problem. If it is the food, I can not afford the Blue Basics brand. I don't have it in my budget to pay 40-60$ for a 20lb bag of food. If he absolutley has to have it, I could make room in my bank account to get it for him, but it would hurt me. My vet reccommended the Loyal to me, along with tons of other happy users of the food. I work at a farm and home store and ask opinions on it when people come through my line. So far, I have not had a single person complain about Loyal. I know he does not have fleas either, we vaccuum on a regular basis and keep the house clean. He is the only indoor pet we have, so we pretty much have that one ruled out.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Well I know it is not poision ivy,. My vet reccommended the Loyal to me, along with tons of other happy usebecause he is always supervised when he is outside, though that is a good suggestion. I really don't think it is the food either. He was itchy from day 1 when I got him, and he was on Purina feed for the first few weeks while I was gradually switching him over. I really think it is just a dry skin problem. If it is the food, I can not afford the Blue Basics brand. I don't have it in my budget to pay 40-60$ for a 20lb bag of food. If he absolutley has to have it, I could make room in my bank account to get it for him, but it would hurt mers of the food. I work at a farm and home store and ask opinions on it when people come through my line. So far, I have not had a single person complain about Loyal. I know he does not have fleas either, we vaccuum on a regular basis and keep the house clean. He is the only indoor pet we have, so we pretty much have that one ruled out.
With a itchy dog it is usually the food so you might want to try it for about 8 weeks and see.
You dont have to worry about your dog getting poison ivy they dont, but you may get it if you touch your dog after he has come into contact with it,

·
Registered
620 Posts
Just my two cents: if it were my dog, I'd try a new food, too (actually, it *was* my dog about 8 months ago - she turned out to be allergic to quite a few things :rolleyes:).

I looked up the Loyall brand dog food, because I hadn't heard of it before. I agree with Holly's suggestion to try a novel protein source, but it doesn't look to me like Loyall makes a food with a protein other than lamb or poultry :(

You don't need to go with Blue Buffalo or Wellness - they're popular brands with good reputations, but if you search around, there are dog foods that won't break the bank. One I am aware of that has salmon as the protien source is Premium Edge Adult Skin & Coat Formula - Salmon, Potatoes & Veggies. On wag.com it is $42.99 for a 35 lb bag, which I think is quite a good price. I've not used it, but the ingredients look decent, and it doesn't contain a protein your dog has had before (chicken/poultry or lamb).

I'm sure there are others out there, too. It may just take a little investigating. I couldn't find a price for Loyall online - about how much does it run you per bag (and weight of the bag...)?

I'd give a new food a try for 6-8 weeks, and see if it helps. If not, it might be environmental allergies. You don't have too much to lose by trying another food, and if it doesn't work out, you can always go back to the food he's on now :)

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Curious :) our vet diagnosed it.
I lived and boarded dogs for 20 years in a place covered in poison oak and never had a dog get it so this is news to me

Dogs and cats do not suffer the allergenic effects of poison ivy, sumac or oak like humans do, but they can transmit the oil of these plants to humans on their hair. This means that your pet can bring you poison ivy (and related) even though you haven't been in the woods.

Poison Ivy - How do I bathe my dog after being exposed to poison ivy?

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
Yes, dogs CAN get poison ivy, FWIW.

Your dog is also at a good age that this could be environmental allergies. Does your dog itch year round or only during certain months? Where does he scratch? Does he have any ear infections? Chew his feet? legs? butt?
Does your dog itch all year round or only during certain months/does it get worse certain months.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just got him in March, so we haven't really been through too many seasons yet. I guess we will have to see in the winter.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
Okay, so then it's hard to tell unfortunately.

Could absolutely be the food, but like I said it's the proteins and not the grains that are your likely source of an issue. I stick by my earlier recommendations of trying a novel protein diet, whether or not it's grain free makes no difference to me, and seeing how that goes.

You can also ask your vet for anti-histamine doses to see if that helps (it may if it's environmental).

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
These symtoms are almost identical of what my dog Nola had when I didn't know she had food allergies. We did the whole novel protein thing for 8 weeks and it turns out she's allergic to both corn and soy. I highly recommend changing the food.
Then again, they could be environmental allergies as Holly said. My girl's legs and belly get super itchy in the summer. It's the grass here

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think I'm going to try Diamond Naturals food. No wheat, soy, or corn. We will see if it helps.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The closest Costco is a couple of hours away. We carry the Diamond Naturals at the store where I work. I will try those first. If it doesn't help, I might try that.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Also you need to think about his bedding...could it have mites? Could you have washed it in a detergent that did not rinse out well? They lay on this a lot.

Be wary of the treats too...not just the food.

If you have a plant called wandering jew in your yard, that can make some terriers have allergies.

You might want to go take him to the vet because my dog had to be put on antibiotics from scratching himself raw...secondary infection.

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
I think I'm going to try Diamond Naturals food. No wheat, soy, or corn. We will see if it helps.
Posted via Mobile Device
............ but what protein??? No Chicken, beef or lamb (since that's what he's on now... ). As I said, the protein is the bigger problem. It is more rare that a dog be allergic to the other things that are not in this food (the wheat, soy, corn).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts