Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
my 13 months standard schnauzer started to excessively scratch himself about a month ago. Firstly he doesn't have any visible changes on the skin. Then, after few days we noticed red marks on both elbows. Went to vet, who ask to put Pimafucort Cream (Hydrocortisone/Natamycin/Neomycin). We used it for 2 weeks but he was still scratching himself. My idea was allergy, so i decided to start elimination diet (he is on a B.A.R.F. diet) and begin with turkey for a week. His stool is fine, but he is still scratching :ponder:
Today I looked at him closely and found changes as seen on the photos. Additionally his belly is with yellow discolorations. Any ideas what it could be? We are going to the new vet tomorrow. I would be very thankful for your suggestions. best regards.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We live in Poland. Weather has been very variable in a past month - december was about +10 *C to -3 *C from two weeks.

·
Registered
234 Posts
We live in Poland. Weather has been very variable in a past month - december was about +10 *C to -3 *C from two weeks.
13 months, so this is your dog's first winter with you I'm guessing.

Just a guess and something to consider if you haven't but investigate the humidity in your house and when your dog last shed.

I have a similar problem over the years with a few of my dogs with the dry winter air.

I raise the humidity in our house and supplement their diet with fish oils and the required amount of vitamin E to complement. Plenty of info available on dosage amounts but I believe it is important to use both. Some fish oils for dogs have E in them but I use the human grade stuff so I need to use both.

Food allergies take a while to figure out and I chose to go with the seasonal variable first. I believe my dog scratches from the late season shed and mostly the much drier air with the winter weather. The combo of higher humidity and supplements have made a marked difference. I hope your situation is as easy.

Oh, good choice on changing over to a raw diet!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi everyone, thank you a lot for your time and intrest in a subject.

We went to the vet and by looking on his skin he said it's probably allergy. Numa got antiallergic injection and we had an appointment the day after. It worked immediately, he stopped scratching on the same day, so he said that it's a confirmation that it's allergic thing. We got steroids (Calcort 6mg in tablets) every second day for one month.
The question is what is the allergen. We have another dog who is healthy so we can exclude parasites with certitude. It rest environmental or food allergy. Vet advised to remove turkey from a diet as it's treated with antibiotics, etc as chickens are (he can be allergic to those chemicals not necessary to chicken/turkey meat). So we started elimination diet with rabbit. We are going to keep rabbit for 2 weeks and then try another kind of meat - duck maybe?
I will inform you how it's going. Hope it's only one kind of meat and scratching won't back after the therapy ends.

Take care!

·
Registered
23 Posts
if your doing a food trial then it can take 6-8 (or even 12) weeks to respond so don't stop it too soon even if it appears to be working well and the steroids will suppress the itch for at least the month you are giving them. I would stick with the new diet for at least 2 weeks after stopping meds, preferably longer. If the itch doesn't come back then the diet may be the cause but seasonal allergies to pollens etc can be short lived to start with so the steroids may have covered the risk period. Hope that makes sense.
you can also speak to your vet about adding fish oil to the diet as essential fatty acids are good at reducing inflammation and improving skin and coat condition.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you a lot for your message. I will stick with the rabbit as you've suggested. My only worry is whether it won't be too poor diet for such a long time. While feeding raw there should be big variety of meat. But of course I understand, that it will help me to figure out what is the allergen. Thanks again!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is it possible that it might also be a grass allergy? Something from outside? My dog had really bad food allergies, but it wasnt his belly area. However, it was pine and certain grasses

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello, here's some update.

We are still on elimination diet (he is eating only raw rabbit) from 8 weeks. He is getting APOQUEL 1/2 tablet/day and his scratching problems reduced to almost 0. Two weeks ago he had a blood test for environmental allergy and voila: MITES positive. Luckly (if we can say that) no grass and trees allergy.
Tommorow we are going to add raw lamb and see how's he reacting. Vet suggested to do new steps each two weeks to give a time for body to react. If everything will be fine we may try to reduce apoquel 1/2 tablet each two days... and in future maybe try to stop it for a while and see if it's possible to live without medication. Since we know he is allergic to mites we vacuum every day and wash blanket in his bed every week. I'm curious if any of you have an experience with desensitization to mites?! Is it effective?
Thanks for advice!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts