Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog is a 14 year old chihuahua mix on grain free food. Been that way for years. I noticed within the last 3 days he’s been itching a lot (to the point it’s starting to be irritating at odds hours in the night) on his chest and mid section. I just gave him a bath in Zymox (medicated) shampoo and leave in condition that I mostly rinsed off. I’m wondering if There are any OTC spray that will help alleviate some of the itching between baths. The only thing that has changed in his environment is the weather/heat between my place and my parents. As we live in different counties.

·
Super Moderator
1,240 Posts
It could be loads of things - grass or something else outside (wipe him down with plain water after every walk), your detergent (wash off his bedding in plain water), your carpets or floor cleaner or something else in his food. A surprising number of dogs are intolerant to chicken, it's possible that could be another trigger.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I'll ask the obvious, you are treating him with a flea preventative medication, right?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He eats Zignature and I buy treats with no chicken in them for that purpose.
And family members never feed him human food.
yes he gets treated for fleas as well as brushed daily with a flea comb. Haven’t seen any on him. But I know that doesn’t mean they aren’t around.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Could still be allergies or bites of some sort. Your Vet could probably prescribe some medication to give him some relief.

·
Registered
285 Posts
My dog is a 14 year old chihuahua mix on grain free food. Been that way for years. I noticed within the last 3 days he’s been itching a lot (to the point it’s starting to be irritating at odds hours in the night) on his chest and mid section. I just gave him a bath in Zymox (medicated) shampoo and leave in condition that I mostly rinsed off. I’m wondering if There are any OTC spray that will help alleviate some of the itching between baths. The only thing that has changed in his environment is the weather/heat between my place and my parents. As we live in different counties.
Are there any new weeds popped up in either gardens? Has he been swimmimg on walks?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts