Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I got my dachshund/yorkie groomed for the first time about 2 weeks ago. The last few days she has been been scratching her ears and now her body too. She kind of makes a grunting noise when she does it. She doesn't seem to annoyed by it. She maybe stops about once an hour to scratch and grunt then goes back to playing. I can't find any red marks and her ears don't seem to have the usual signs of mites. Do you think she is allergic to whatever shampoo/conditioner the groomer used? There has been no diet changes, no changes of anything that I can think of. I'm giving her an oatmeal bath tonight. Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
I think if it was an allergy to the soap they used, you'd have seen her itching sooner. Could it be that her fur growing out is bugging her?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think if it was an allergy to the soap they used, you'd have seen her itching sooner. Could it be that her fur growing out is bugging her?
Thanks for the quick response. That could very well be the case.

Does this photo help at all? That's the before and after. It was like that shaggy hair grew over night and we got her in immediately to a groomer. She looks fantastic. but yeah it is growing out and getting shaggy a bit already.

Tellys First Grooming!.jpg

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
I don't have much experience with it, I'm sure someone else does...you could pm 'crazy' on the forum-she's had to deal with allergies and other coat problems before, maybe she'll have advice.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
im not sure what it could be, the ears could be from having them plucked and the hair is growing back which is bothering her. thats my guess atm.

what shampoo etc did they use? is your dog allergic to sulphates or parabens which are in most shampoos?

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I have to pull the hair from my poodle's ear canals & even though it doesn't bother him to have it done (usually sleeps) he does scratch at it in the next week or so, I expect from regrowth.
Its highly likely to be the shampoo/product to. Contact the groomer to find out the brand (they should be proud of what they use & therefor happy to tell you) & let us know, I would be happy to sift through the ingredients & try to identify a possible culprit for you.
If the product is the issue, ask if they have another option, or ask if you can use your own. I make my own oatmeal shampoo which has made a big notable difference in my dog's hair. Lots of recipes online, will save you a great deal of money!

Reactions: CandMc23

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! I'll find out the exact shampoo they use. I've made my own oatmeal shampoo and it was very easy. Hair growing back in making her itch sounds very much like what it could be. She isn't red anywhere. Hopefully that is all it is. Thanks again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts