Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I've got a 6 year old Jack Russell, who cannot stop itching,I have tried Frontline and numerous baths,hes more interested in having ago at his pads than other parts of his body,I would appreciate any help you could give.

Colin.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Has he seen a vet? That's really important in these cases, because changing food won't help with an infection. There's also the possibility that he's actually not itching his pads, but has nerve damage causing his feet to feel tingly or burny. That can be caused by using a collar.

Assuming he's healthy and it is an allergy, I'd go after it with a two-pronged approach. 1. Change his food to something grain free, limited ingredient, a protein he hasn't eaten before, like pork, duck or fish. (Make sure his treats match.) 2. Wipe his feet after every outing, brush him every day, give him an antihistamine like Zyrtec (ask your vet for dosage instructions.) That will cover both food allergies and environmental allergies.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi there! Another common allergy for dogs is grass! Especially since he's itching just his paws it could be another possibility! Your pooch may need booties when he goes outside. Hope this helps and good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts