Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a female Italian Greyhound puppy who is 12 weeks old. We have had her for almost 4 weeks. She goes potty outside about 75% of the time just fine and sleeps around 8 hours through the night. We take her out at least every one to two hours during the day. However, she continually pees on her bedding in her crate and will walk over to her bed to pee on it if she is out of the crate. Even if she has been recently taken outside. We have tried expensive enzymatic cleaners and have replaced the bedding multiple times. Even if it is just a thin, small towel, she will pee on it. We bought her a new bed to lay on when we have her out playing with her and she peed on it yesterday. If I take all bedding away from her while she is in the crate, she will bark and cry incessantly. I am at my wit's end! She doesn't really have accidents in our house. She just pees on her bedding and occasionally poops on it. No bedding = a beserk whining dog who pees anyway and then gets it all over herself. Bedding = dog pee on bedding. Thoughts? Ideas? I feel like this is habit she is in and I don't know how to break it. We have tried an expen -- does not work. Can't put her in bathroom because she chews the cabinets. I really need this dog to be crate-trained. She chews up puppy pads and newspapers as well. We have a plastic crate and a wire crate and they are only big enough for her to turn around in. Help!

·
Registered
261 Posts
I had the same problem. So I just took the bedding away permanently and started again from the beginning with crate training.

Night 1: I sat right next to the crate. Two seconds of silence: a treat. Five more seconds of silence: a treat. 15 seconds of silence: a treat. I kept going up until I reached 5 minutes, and then I started using random amounts of time.

Then I just continued to build up with distance and time over a period of several months. No soft things in the crate.

Incidentally, after several months of no accidents, I decided to put a bed in there, figuring he was finally housebroken and the behavior was gone. After 6 months of never peeing in his crate, he peed the second I put a blanket in there. Like literally the moment i put it in there, he ran into his crate and peed on it.

I don't get this behavior either. Others here may have suggestions on fixing it. As far as I'm concerned I'll just stick with not putting soft things in his crate.

Of course, my dog doesn't *love* his crate anymore. He just accepts it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Italian greyhounds are notoriously difficult to housetrain, it's one of the primary reasons their owners give them up.

As for peeing on blankets/soft things, there may be some things in this article or the comments section that might be of help:

How Can I Get My Dog To Stop Peeing In Her Crate?

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Put one or two wee wee pads in the crate instead of a bed or blanket. It's somewhat soft and she'll also learn it's ok to pee on wee wee pad material. However I think with the issue of her going on the sleeping area, you might want to invest in a puppy pen where she has spots for a bed and using the bathroom.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
I'd not put anything in the crate unless you want her to learn that the crate is the place to potty. Some puppies are just really attracted to soft absorbent surfaces and they view them as a potty place. The only way to break the habit is to not let them have access to anything soft that they may pee on and keep them from it until they are fully housetrained.

You could try a stuffed animal in her crate so she has something to cuddle up with, but she may try peeing on it.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Italian greyhounds are notoriously difficult to housetrain, it's one of the primary reasons their owners give them up.
Is this your experience?

I am curious to know why Italian greyhounds (and Chihuahuas apparently) are notoriously difficult to housetrain. Is it something in their anatomy or mental make up that makes them so different to other dogs? There are many small breeds that don’t have that reputation. I am aware that individual dogs differ in their ability to learn, but whole breeds?

As for peeing on blankets/soft things, there may be some things in this article or the comments section that might be of help:

How Can I Get My Dog To Stop Peeing In Her Crate?
Helpful article - hope the OP has been back and taken note. Wouldn't it be nice if people reported back how things were going? ;)

·
Registered
193 Posts
First hand experience? No I've never had an IG, but I know people who do including canine professionals and IG rescuers and almost to a person they've said the IG is difficult to housetrain and that's the #1 reason they're given up.

Here it explains that they have small bladders and not very good bladder control.

The Italian Greyhound and Housebreaking

Other factors include not wanting to go potty outside, especially in bad weather. One way around this is to train them to use a litterbox like a cat.

Google "housebreak Italian greyhound" and see what turns up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts