Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am looking to add a new addition to my family and I've always been taken with the Italian Greyhound. All the Italian Greyhounds I've met (and by "all" I mean I've met 3) have been shaking and seemed a little nervous, but very docile and stuck close to their owner.

After researching though all the resources say the breed is very hyper at home. I always assumed they'd be similar to what I observed... a cuddler and a bit of a sweet, velco dog, if not a little nervous in a cute way.

Can any Italian Greyhound owners out there or people with experience with the breed give me advice as to exactly what to expect?

Thanks and I appreciate it!!

·
Registered
945 Posts
I can't think of any current active members here who have an IG (maybe someone will come out of the woodwork). If you want more information or to get to know the breed, the best way is to spend time with some owners and their dogs- do you know the people of the three that you've met? You could get in touch with a breed organisation to ask them about characteristics too. For example, this page gives an idea of their temperament: IN YOUR HOME | the italian Greyhound Club

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
I don't have an Igg but I do a lot of sighthound research (in preparation for a greyhound). From what I have read, they can be difficult to housetrain. They do not usually like wet grass or snow and may refuse to do their business if the ground is wet. Actually, I saw on a Dogs101 video that some people train them to use a litter box.
I have also seen that they can be velcro dogs. Some Italian greyhounds seem to think that they can fly and may leap from furniture. It is important to watch them closely when they are young because jumping off of furniture can cause them to break one or more of their legs. I have considered an Igg before and was told to have enough money set aside in case the dog broke it's leg.

·
Premium Member
Zoe, Phoenix, Alice - ACDx
4,351 Posts
I have friends with Iggies. From what I've been told, they are hard to house train. They are also prone to leg breaks and they do not do well in the cold at all.

Other than those couple of things, they are amazing companions. Very sweet and velcro dogs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts