Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having issues with walking and running with Cooper. He is an 11 month old coonhound. Maggie is a 4 yo **** hound mix. We have never had issues with him and other dogs until recently. When he was younger and I would walk both dogs together, we were approached by unfriendly dogs on multiple occasions which clearly made both him and Maggie nervous. It first started off with him barking at strangers and dogs across the street and it had become now that when I walk them both together he starts barking and lunging at other dogs. I have tried to mitigate this by bringing high value treats on walks and runs to distract him and give him a positive association. Sometimes it is successful and other times i cant get him under control and i have to try to drag him away. I have tried doing special training walks with him but he has a significantly less reactions when he is by himself vs when he is with maggie. I am leaving a note for my dog walker to how he reacts when I am not the one walking him. He has written in notes haw pleasant they are to walk so I dont think he is having this issue.

I am really trying to use the treats but it is so difficult to walk both dogs together and give him treats but the dogs get tangled and he ends up perseverating on the other dog and getting out of control.

As far as exercise, he gets a 30 min walk in the morning and in the afternoon and in the evening he gets a 3 to 5 mile run. I try to do training during the morning walk and I bring treats with me on the evening run but it is difficult to give him treats and really control him.

Please help me.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
It's interesting that he doesn't do this regularly (by himself or with the dog walker).

Have you tried asking a friend or the dog walker to take a walk with you - one walking Maggie and you walking Cooper? It may give you time to test out if it's truly a case of him being with Maggie, or if something is going on when you walk them together - such as subconsciously tightening the leash or something to that effect. It also may give you time to work on training, if need be.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.