Dog Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Naira is the first dog I've had that is house trained everywhere. No matter whose house she's at, which dogs have peed on the floor, which pet store or vets office etc...if she's not outside she will not go.

I had a dog in the past that would never have an accident at home but if we were at someone else's house he would poo and pee as if he were in a field of grass. Even if he had been to that house several times. It always baffled me.

Curious about your dogs

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Levi is trained everywhere as well, NOW. When he was younger and I was super confident he was house-trained at home, I noticed he would still have accidents in other people's homes (although to give him credit, he did run to the door to pee).

Heidi is housetrained no where currently. She's almost house trained here, but just the other day she peed at the vet's. Work in progress. :p

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Sophie and Lexy are, for sure, though I have to watch Sophie somewhat carefully in general as she does the excited peeing. As long as I monitor her when new people arrive, all is well.

I honestly don't know about Chisum. I'd say so, but he doesn't spend much time in new locations due to his issues :)

I did have an intact, male Sheltie who was housetrained at home but wanted to mark everywhere else we went. It wasn't a huge deal, I just steer him away from the upright pieces of furniture and he'd hold it.

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
Aspen is house trained everywhere. Even at the training facility where dogs have peed on the floor right in front of us haha... she stayed at a kennel in August and I was curious how she'd do. Cement floors, lots of smells, I wasn't sure if she would understand but the lady that owns the kennel reported that she had no accidents so I was happy to hear that! :)

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Yes, my intact males are housetrained everywhere. If they're inside, they won't go. That's been tested in all sorts of places including my house, other peoples' houses, various stores, and the nursing homes where we do therapy work. It DID take some work to make them learn that "no peeing in the house" applies to OTHER houses as well, but they did learn very quickly.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Kasper is fully housetrained everywhere. He's been to friends' houses, in taxis, trains, buses and we've moved house 7+ times with him, and he's never had an accident indoors.

I assume Zoey is, but to be honest she doesn't really visit many places. She's almost 3 years old now and hasn't had an accident in almost 2 years. She only does her business outside, and has been in taxis / vets etc and never had an accident.

Raiden is only 14 weeks old, but he hasn't had an accident in over a month now. He hasn't been many places indoors, but has never had an accident at the vet, even when he was there 45 minutes. When he came to play / train at the village hall for half an hour last night he didn't have an accident. I imagine he would toilet somewhere new indoors if not supervised and taken out often though!

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
As far as I can tell Zody is housetrained everywhere. I've yet to see him purposely potty anywhere but outside. He does have accidents at the vets but that's because he's terrified and empties his bladder, not because he marks or anything like that.

·
Banned
66 Posts
Two 1-yo Dackels. They are 100% on either their pad (if they don't want to go outside) or in the yard. Very proud of them. It took more than 6 months of coaxing.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Tribble is pretty good about most places, but he does need to be watched closely in new peoples homes if they have dogs that have marked in there and pet stores where other dogs have gone. He also has a thing about pooping at the top of carpeted stairs; he used to do it at my ex's parent's house all the time, and I think he would try it somewhere else if I gave him the opportunity, but he is awesome about public spaces like stores and cars/busses/trains/planes.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Chess has to be watched in new places if there have been accidents. She marks like nobodys business, and has to pee over top of other pee. When we go on hikes she will mark more times than i can possibly count. In a new house, i watch her and if she starts doing 'the pee sniff' i just tell her no and to leave it. Once you do that, she's fine and won't have any accidents. So generally just watch her for about 20 mins and then it's safe. At home she'd rather have her bladder burst than have an accident. She only had 1 accident while house training as a puppy! And only 3 since, always at new places. She's fine at the vets or in stores though. I was proud last night though, a friends yorkiepoo came over and peed, and Chess sniffed it and just walked away.

Echo is house trained everywhere. She reliably goes and sits by the door if she needs to potty no matter where we are. She had accidents as a puppy, then hit about 6 months and hasn't had one since.

Reese is house trained nowhere, she comes in at night and goes straight in her crate. She is very well crate trained though and never has accidents in it.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Riley is house-trained everywhere. In fact, I almost have the opposite problem since he will almost only exclusively go poop in my yard. He's stayed overnight at other people's home and I'm always super paranoid about making sure he goes potty.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Yes.

PS Anyone else have a dog without 0 shame? Ella doesnt mind peeing on very..public spots... such as SIDEWALKS :eek: All the other dogs I know/have known usually look for a nice semi-secluded grassy area... but not Ella.

She once relieved herself in the middle of the townsquare... :eek:

She also marks a lot. Sometimes she pees on higher spots like male dogs (on bushes etc).

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
@secrets0stolen - Heidi is a HUGE sidewalk pee-er. She will pee anywhere, any place, any time. :p

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Yes I've been very confindent that he is housetrained in every house, restaurant or shop we go, I'm not sure about gardens though...probably depends on how they look like a forest.
he's a little princess and, if he has a choice, only does his business in/under bushes...trees are not enough and he want do that stuff, where people could see him...He's very specific about this. :D
The only reason he'd do his business in the house if his masters don't go for a wlak with him every few hours and he's has to go very urgent. Did happen perhaps once or twice when he was still very young.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts