Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Is this what's he's supposed to look like? Because he hardly looks like a GSD anymore lol (hes 14 months old)

·
Registered
439 Posts
Why did you get him shaved? And no, that's a pretty choppy cut, it looks like an inexperienced groomer or most likely a super wiggly pup (which I would suspect given his age and breed lol). I would personally suggest not getting him shaved again. They really don't need it and it can do serious damage to their coats. We only have one GSD who comes to the salon for a haircut, and even then she only gets trimmed not a shave.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We shaved him because he had an excessive amount of bugs on his coat that bind to the skin and try to suck blood (I don't know what it's called in English) We tried sparying him and putting anti-(these bugs) liquid on his skin but to no avail so my dad thought that shaving his long coat would reduce the number of these bugs thingy
Also would be grateful if you tell me what are these bugs called in english (they have 8 legs and dont fly)

·
Registered
439 Posts
I believe you are thinking of ticks and they are awful creatures I agree. Shaving him won't stop the ticks but they will make them easier to find.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
OH MY! I don't think shaving him is going get rid of his problem! I think the 'bugs' he has are probably fleas and first off you should give him a really good brushing to remove any loose hair and then you should give him a bath . Use a good shampoo and lather him up really well and leave the lather on him for about five minutes, so you can smother and drown the fleas. Then rinse him really, really, well and brush him again! Then you should go to the Vet and get a good flea preventative (not stuff you buy at a store!) Fleas are hard to get rid of, but you must keep them under control or your dog can get anemic from loss of blood. Your yard is probably infested with fleas.
I suggest you read about fleas and how to get rid of them ..........

·
Registered
439 Posts
Oh yeah ticks is their name apparently, any ideas how much time till coat fully recovers?
It varies a lot, there won't be any way to tell until it starts growing back and you see how fast it's growing.

·
Registered
439 Posts
OH MY! I don't think shaving him is going get rid of his problem! I think the 'bugs' he has are probably fleas and first off you should give him a really good brushing to remove any loose hair and then you should give him a bath . Use a good shampoo and lather him up really well and leave the lather on him for about five minutes, so you can smother and drown the fleas. Then rinse him really, really, well and brush him again! Then you should go to the Vet and get a good flea preventative (not stuff you buy at a store!) Fleas are hard to get rid of, but you must keep them under control or your dog can get anemic from loss of blood. Your yard is probably infested with fleas.
I suggest you read about fleas and how to get rid of them ..........
I can't believe I didn't think of fleas! My first thought was immediately ticks for some reason.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah we gave him a bath/shampoo'd him too, the vet gave us some kind of liquid that is supposed to spread around the skin and kill those ticks, but i dont think it was effective... I'll try to look up other methods (We tried spraying him too)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No no it IS actually ticks, i looked up both of fleas and ticks pictures on google and i can say its ticks and not fleas, in fact we never had fleas problem at all, only ticks

·
Registered
439 Posts
No no it IS actually ticks, i looked up both of fleas and ticks pictures on google and i can say its ticks and not fleas, in fact we never had fleas problem at all, only ticks
Okay! Well your best bet is to get him on a good preventative, and also if you live somewhere that has lots of high grass or dense foliage, make sure to check him over when he comes inside and take any off that have jumped on him. Most ticks take a bit of time to find a spot they want to bite, so if you catch them fast enough you can prevent that. There are many different methods of getting a tick to let go when it has bitten (make sure it lets go, don't rip them off or the head will stay burrowed in his skin) my personal way is to get a pair of tweezers very warm under hot running water. Ticks are known to let go if they are hot. A lot of people use the back of a spoon that has been heated, but I don't recommend this because you have to get very close to his skin and I'd be wary of burns.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I just re read this and yeah ticks are nasty .....same treatment as fleas except ticks, if imbedded need to be removed manually head and all! You can get a tool called a tick remover to help but you still should get a good preventative from a Veterinarian. Ticks are carriers of some bad diseases!

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Ticks are horrible and the drops and sprays generally take a day or two to really start to kill them off. You also have to treat the environment or the ones on him will die and then new ones will get on him and you have to wait for them to die and so on and so forth.

My advice is to keep him on the stuff the vet gave you, remove any ticks you see on him by hand, and treat your yard and home with something that kills ticks, to reduce the ones that are going to get on him.

Reactions: miniaturehorse

·
Registered
917 Posts
Don't use different pesticides on him, he could have an bad reaction to the mix of chemicals. You want to make sure one chemical is out of his system before using another. If he has ticks pick them off him, go over him every day. A healthy immune system will help to repel biting bugs.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Yeah we gave him a bath/shampoo'd him too, the vet gave us some kind of liquid that is supposed to spread around the skin and kill those ticks, but i dont think it was effective... I'll try to look up other methods (We tried spraying him too)
Is the liquid stuff the vet gave you frontline? You don't spread it around you apply it at the neck and it spreads its self down the dogs body. We had a terrible problem with fleas and ticks when we lived in Mexico but the frontline worked you have to make sure and use it every 30 days.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Shaving doesn't help for fleas. And unfortunately whoever did it did not do it well. It's a very poor, choppy job. In general, GSD's are not supposed to be shaved. They have a double coat that will help keep them protected if they are groomed. Fleas and ticks can be dealt with through an oral prescription pill like Nexgard.

What I would do is find a good groomer and have them fix this the best they can. Ask for a deshed bath. They can get out all the loose, possibly impacted undercoat. It'll help keep him cooler, reduce mats, is more sanitary and comfortable, and will make it easier to treat fleas. You can also have them try to even things out a little if you aren't happy with the way he looks. Hopefully they won't have to do a full shave down, but maybe they can do a little trimming and clipping here and there so it looks less patchy.

Get a medication like Nexgard from your vet. It's a pill you give once a month that will take care of both fleas and ticks.

·
Registered
442 Posts
In cases where an owner is finding it difficult to get a topical product through the coat and onto skin, an oral preventative can be more effective. IME, that would probably be the biggest suspect if a heavy coated dog like this was still having fleas/ticks after a topical preventative application. I know a few people with heavy coated breeds who keep a little patch clipped short (shaved) so they can apply topical flea/HW preventatives with greater ease, but that's a lot of effort when they could just give a different product.

OP, it looks like whoever groomed your boy didn't have a brush on hand :) He still has a ton of undercoat (that's why some areas look "clumpy"- the blade they used couldn't get through it), and longer blades on heavier coats tend to look less smooth/more choppy anyway. I would probably let him grow out and not bother with the clipping in the future, as he still has plenty of hair for ticks to hide in, and you should be able to prevent them better through use of chemical preventatives alone. Be careful combining different chemical preventatives, better to find one that works, and stick with it. Also, if you are using a topical, some shampoos will strip it out/off of the skin, or strip the oils from the skin, making the product less effective (we commonly see people who don't understand why their dog still has fleas after they put a topical treatment AND gave a dawn bath- they basically applied, then removed the topical, leaving their dog unprotected). Good luck! :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts