Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted before about my new dog. We've had him for almost 2 weeks. His barking is getting a little better, but he has pretty bad aggression issues. We can't get his matted hair cut because he growled at them and kept hiding behind me and between my legs. He growled and tried lunging at our trainer. He hates visitors.

We called a dog trainer and I'm not sure if it's going to work out. She does something called TTouch. She also showed us the thundershirt and we put it on him. He calmed down a little bit, but as soon as she went to leave he freaked out. She also went over some recall and obedience training.

Has anyone ever heard of TTouch? There doesn't seem to be much out there about it. I think the thunder shirt and TTouch would probably work for barking maybe, but when it comes to his aggression, I'm not sure if it's a strong enough training method. At this moment, I can't see him ever letting someone else pet him.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
depending on how matted the hair is, it could be that it hurts the dog, and that's why it doesn't want strangers to cut it.
If i were you, I'd train him wearing a Muzzle first, because then you can let him wear it for stuff like vet and groomer visits.
perhaps, for the beginning, you can shear him yourself with a special razor.
keeping the ur from matting is important for the dog's health, so I wouldn wait until getting that done.

A dog doesn't need strangers to pet him to be happy. A lot of dogs without a bad upbrigning don't like being touched by strangers. this is normal dog behaviour.
As long as you are able to manage the situation, you protect the dog and train it to stay calm as long as they in a polite distance to you and the dog, that's enough.

If you don't feel like the trainer is helping, I'd talk with her about it. If it still doesn help, you should change the trainer.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
For his mats, have you considered going to a vet and having him sedated? It's not totally ideal but you may have no other option.

He's scared and insecure. As he spends more time in your home, his confidence will grow. He'll be work, but with the right training he could potentially improve as well. He may never be super loving to strangers, but he should at least get to the point where you can take him on walks and to select places without him freaking out.

I've heard of TTouch and I think there are some benefits, but I really don't think that should be the only method used. Has she ever done anything like LAT, CC, or BAT? Those three are usually go-to for reactivity and fear issues. LAT and CC are pretty simple and you could employ them yourself; BAT can be a little more complicated and I'd recommend finding a trainer who is either certified (CBATI) or has experience with the method to help you out.

I have a reactive dog; I know it can be discouraging. We've done some stuff on our own and I recently completed five weekly sessions with a trainer. My boy's got a ways to go but the moments where his training shows through and he makes a good choice or is able to calm down in a situation are truly amazing - well worth the work. And the bond he has with me is indescribable.

My advice would be:
> Talk to your current trainer, see what she thinks of those methods; if she doesn't use them, find someone who does.

> Ask the vet about sedation/shave

> Give your dog a solid month or so to just settle in. Keep experiences positive and (aside from that vet trip) don't make him do anything he doesn't want to do. Just give him time to feel safe in this new home. I'd probably even wait on training sessions (though you can surely scope out potential trainers in that time!) until that month is up.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Tellington Touch: Tellington TTouch Trainingâ„¢

Healing Touch Therapies as Health and Behavior Aids

I know very little about TTouch and am not about to fork over $1000 to learn the technique. It is basically a massage technique for inducing endorphins to calm an animal.

Dogs are highly emotional animals and will see stress as physical, so I guess it makes sense to manipulate the physical body to help them to move out some of this built-up unresolved emotion.

There are other techniques that can be used, such as those described by trainer Kevin Behan who rehabilitates dogs.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Well, I twice tried to type an answer to this question and both times my computer crashed the browser. :eyeroll: So here's the gist.

Your trainer may be fine, but I'd ask her if she has experience with aggression/behavioral cases. Not everyone does, and a trainer that essentially trains obedience may not be much help with behavior modification.

And, again, positive all the way. There ARE still trainers out there who think that corrections will cure aggression. Spoiler: they won't.

For your own research, here are some links on the methods I talked about above. From there, you can always Google if you want to know more but this is a good place to start. CC and LAT can really be done on your own; BAT could too but I really do recommend at least starting with someone who knows how to do it.

Counter Conditioning (CC)
https://www.animalhumanesociety.org/training/counter-conditioning-and-desensitization
http://drsophiayin.com/videos/entry/counter-conditioning_a_dog_to_blowing_in_face

Look At That (LAT)
LAT HAT BAT What is That?
https://clickerleash.wordpress.com/...itive-approach-to-dealing-with-reactive-dogs/

Behavioral Adjustment Training (BAT)
http://grishastewart.com/why-try-bat/
How to Do BAT 2.0 | Empowered Animalshttp://www.dogforum.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts