Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So stayed overnight at my parents with Jessie last night due to me feeling feverish and miserable with a ezcema flare up and thought would cheer Jessie up after being so unwell and not long got back from a outing with my dad, mum was looking after Jessie and the labradors ozzy and charlie while dad and i went shoe hunting for me.

Mum bought to my attention a new behavior from Jessie. Jessie cried as soon as dad drove off with me in the car she cried for ages and sat by front door then when she stopped crying kept going back and forth to the door and back to mum and she had only just settled before i got back.

Jessie when i leave her in the crate does sound pissed off/annoyed at me for leaving but is fine after a few minutes and does sometimes bark esp if its in evening i heard from a neighbor.

Its obvious she has a very strong special bond to me which is natural and really misses me as i miss her but i find it a bit concerning as in October for a week i'm going to Australia with mum. Now she will be staying with my dad and the Labradors but how can i improve this?

I am trying to work on leashing her on walks then hiding for 10 seconds ish then go back to her but i have forgot to do it last few days.

if she is like this now how will she be when i go away for a week? that's what concerns me atm

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i was gone prob a bit over a hour if that

·
Registered
109 Posts
Sounds like seperation anxiety to me. Our dog Alice behaves just like this when my mother leaves for shopping or whatever. I don't think you should worry to much about leaving her, we went on a 2 week vacation once and left Alice at a boarding kennel, she was a bit anxious at first but settled down in a couple days. She's used to your dad right? So she probably won't be too bad. Maybe you could get her used to it by having her stay with your dad for a couple days, around this time so it won't be so bad for her when you leave for longer? Hope this helped. :)

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like seperation anxiety to me. Our dog Alice behaves just like this when my mother leaves for shopping or whatever. I don't think you should worry to much about leaving her, we went on a 2 week vacation once and left Alice at a boarding kennel, she was a bit anxious at first but settled down in a couple days. She's used to your dad right? So she probably won't be too bad. Maybe you could get her used to it by having her stay with your dad for a couple days, around this time so it won't be so bad for her when you leave for longer? Hope this helped. :)
It does help thanks. Yes she is used to dad and my mum as well as the labradors ozzy and charlie it just suprising she anxious when seperated from me because she knows mum dad and the dogs so well! i thought she would be ok with the dogs there especially. Ozzy is the one who has it badly and going through special dog school for it!

I can certainly start slowly by once every few weeks letting her stay at parents overnight as well.

Its lovely she so attached and loves me so much but to have seperation anxiety is not good.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The next time you leave for awhile, try and arrange to give her some activity. You could ask your dad to walk or play a game with her while you're around to get her used to it, then do the same when you leave so she isn't just sitting around looking for you.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The next time you leave for awhile, try and arrange to give her some activity. You could ask your dad to walk or play a game with her while you're around to get her used to it, then do the same when you leave so she isn't just sitting around looking for you.
I live alone so can only do that when dad comes over or someone comes over or at my parents place but i will def do that. Will do anything to help her

·
Registered
92 Posts
Understood, but that's aimed at your upcoming trip to Australia. There's a sticky in this behavior forum that will give you much more general information on handling separation anxiety.

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
Koda's kind of similar-I have a hard time running with her because she still pulls a little bit and it's enough to knock me over if I'm off balance, but my friend can run forever and not even notice. So he takes her for a run every now and again when he's going nearby and she's always on the lookout for me, apparently. She's VERY used to him and runs over and has started jumping in excitement (so far, it's only people she sees a lot who are friends of mine that she does this with. She's much calmer around me now but if anyone has suggestions for this too that'd be nice). But even with her constantly looking around for me, she gets over it after a bit when they start going :) It's good of you to worry and want to deal with it but she'll probably be fine once she settles down a bit, and expect a huge welcome back? :)

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Understood, but that's aimed at your upcoming trip to Australia. There's a sticky in this behavior forum that will give you much more general information on handling separation anxiety.
Yes been reading it already thankfully its not bad like it is with my brothers dog ozzy who lives with my parents it was very severe 2 years ago he was very destructive when left alone even with charlie now he goes to doggy day care special program to help dogs with it.

I'm very grateful, thankful and appreciative for all the advice and help you all are giving me on this forum on this topic and every other one so glad i found this forum!

I am texting people/friends who come over to mine if they can please help me with Jessie by sparing a few minutes to play with her while i walk to end of drive and back. Will start with out the door and half down drive first but you get my meaning? meanwhile i will do alot of the work myself to help lessen it

·
Registered
507 Posts
No, it's not SA. Have her spend more time at Mum's both with you and without you. The family should ignore her for a couple of minutes, then try to distract her, maybe playtime in the yard. You or Dad can also use Tellington Touch with her, with uses massage and reflexology techniques.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Koda's kind of similar-I have a hard time running with her because she still pulls a little bit and it's enough to knock me over if I'm off balance, but my friend can run forever and not even notice. So he takes her for a run every now and again when he's going nearby and she's always on the lookout for me, apparently. She's VERY used to him and runs over and has started jumping in excitement (so far, it's only people she sees a lot who are friends of mine that she does this with. She's much calmer around me now but if anyone has suggestions for this too that'd be nice). But even with her constantly looking around for me, she gets over it after a bit when they start going :) It's good of you to worry and want to deal with it but she'll probably be fine once she settles down a bit, and expect a huge welcome back? :)
Im very happy for you and others to ask for advice on this topic to in this thread as on this forum its about helping each other. Yeah i do worry but it gets to me when i hear that tortured cry or bark it just breaks my heart since im a big softie! I try not to worry but if i didnt worry i wouldnt care so worrying shows how much i care about her :)

I know she will be ecastic to see me again but i have been working on her not jumping up so much. she follows me room to room constantly which i thought was normal behaviour. Sooner get on top of it the better for her

1 - 11 of 11 Posts