Dog Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI,
I am devastated right now. About 6 mos ago we had a Beglian Maliniois pup who was about 4 mo old. One day she was fine, had a tiny bit of diarrhea, playing and acting fine. One night she did not eat quite as much as usual and was just barely a bit more lethargic. The next day my son came in yelling "She is dying, Ziva is dying!" and within 4 hours she was dead. She had some foam around the mouth, rapid breathing, seized, had a small rally then a death rattle and died.
Now I would mention here that we do a lot of fostering of rescues and such. NONE of the other pups we had here got sick. A couple had a bit of diarrhea but never acted sick at all. They all were fine including some rather delicate baby toy breeds we had here. We were devastated as Ziva was my personal dog. I disinfected EVERYTHING. We did not have any young pups around for some time. We had a couple dumped in our front yard and I kept them away from anywhere Ziva was and they were fine.
We did have some older pups in foster and again everything was fine. We had come to believe that some one had put out rat or mouse poison and Ziva ate the mouse to make it happen so quickly.
Fast forward to yesterday. We had gotten 2 Great Pyrenees pups about 6 mos. old and fully vaccinated because we have a serious coyote problem and want to get chickens and goats. We do live in the country.
They have been here about 2 weeks doing their job VERY well and acting just fine. Night before last one did not eat quite as much but still running and playing. Working all night. Yesterday she was a bit lethargic but still up and around. Come night fall when I went to let them out to work and she would not come out from under the back porch. I made some sugar/salt water up and got that down her as she had been vommiting on her paws. She came out for a bit wagged her tail but laid down. Through the night she stayed alive and tried to raise her head. By 7 a.m. she was dead.
Pretty much the same m.o. as Ziva. The other Pyr pup is fine, playing no loose stools, etc. We do have another pup in the house and like before she had a little lose stool but otherwise fine.
Does anyone have any idea what this could be please? I am desperate!
Thank you,
Raven :confused:

·
Registered
409 Posts
I am very sorry for your loss. Why did you never take these dogs to the vet? This is a question for them. I would say that Parvo is a possibility, and if the Malinois contracted it, your house is infected and you should absolutely not bring anymore puppies into it until everything is figured out and resolved. There are far more knowledgeable members on here that can give you a lot more insight into your situation. I would recommend calling a vet to ask their advice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was waiting for a ride to the vet when the Mal passed. The Pyr, to be honest, I thought was rallying and I could get her to the vet this morning. I am disabled and do not have a car, nor regretfully, much funds. I am sure there will be some that say then I don't deserve to own a dog.

·
Registered
827 Posts
testing is the only way to be even remotely sure and i don't believe it's 100% acurate on all strains. I'm so sorry for your loss.

do what you can for the other dogs. can you find a vet that woukd consider coming out for an emergency should you have one?

check for poisons around too. or poisonous plants or other dangerous things the dogs could have gotten into. what's under that porch?

·
Premium Member
10,779 Posts
Have the vet necropsy the pyr pup to try and determine what it died from. Since it was fully vaccinated I'd say it's unlikely but not impossible that it died from parvo.

Do you let your dogs roam loose and are there ranches in your area? If you do and there are do you know if the ranchers are putting out poisoned bait for the coyotes? Are there venomous snakes in your area or cane toads? I'd suspect poison, snake bite, cane toads, or some sort of poisonous plant, before I suspected parvo, but the only way to know for certain is to either get a necropsy.

Reactions: ravenov

·
Premium Member
10,779 Posts
I was waiting for a ride to the vet when the Mal passed. The Pyr, to be honest, I thought was rallying and I could get her to the vet this morning. I am disabled and do not have a car, nor regretfully, much funds. I am sure there will be some that say then I don't deserve to own a dog.
(((HUGS))) I'm in the same boat, disabled, limited income, and don't drive. We do deserve our dogs. If you're like me you'll probably go without in order to give your dogs what they need.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would love to be able to get the Pyr necropsied but again no transport, out in the country and the nearest place I could take her is 2-4 hrs away. I have been trying to barter my way to any type of wheels but so far not so much luck. Upstate SC is rather depressed right now.

Personally I am thinking some sort of poisonous something. Because it happens so quick. But where to start? Ziva, the Mal, she was only out under supervision and had run of the house under supervision. But that does not mean she did not get a poisoned mouse or something.

The Pyr on the other hand, her sister and her, are working dogs. We are having major coyote problems but there is no ranchers per se around. There is a goat farm up the road a bit but they do have LGD as well. So don't think they would put out poison.

I am just broken hearted and scared. My girlfriend has 2 chinese crested pups, the one was here when the Mal passed, and I have a GSD that again fully vaccinated that is training to be my new service dog. If I lose another dogI am not sure ifI can deal with it.

No, I have not much in the way of money. That is part of the reason I need LGD so I can get some chickens to supplement my food, couple of pygmy goats for milk, etc. and of course garden, etc.

But thanks for everyones input. It helps.
Raven

·
Premium Member
10,779 Posts
I doubt it was a snake since you were out with the Mal and would have heard it yelp if it got bit. Same with someone putting poison out, the Mal wouldn't have had a chance to get it under supervision.

I'd start by researching plants, that are toxic to dogs, in your area and checking your yard for them. I know one of the members on here, PKelly if I'm remembering right, nearly lost dog after it ate black walnuts out in the yard.

I know toads are toxic to dogs, but mostly they have a mild reaction to them. Cane Toads are an exception and can kill a dog, if you live in the southern US keep an eye out for them.

·
Registered
827 Posts
download yourself (or find a cheap paper copy on amazon) a good triage/first aid book for dogs. have a proper first aid kit for the dogs too. learn all you can about that and possible poisons, including plants. i know it doesn't help the mal but it may help in the future.

if you are unable to check around the property for poisons, plants etc., you should keep the dogs supervised at all times. i am no vet but i am not convinced it was parvo either. as far as i know, all modern strains are vaccinated against. i don't know what parvo f is though

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We have 6 acres partially wooded. I am going to try to gather some pics, etc of the most common poisonous plants in this area. I just don't get it. 2 dogs out of, with the boarding we have done, a couple dozen dogs total die months apart from the exact same symptoms. That quickly. That is what just totally messes me up. I mean every dog will have an evening when it is off its feed. That is not terribly unusual but being dead by the next morning, within 8 hrs is.
No does not sound like parvo to me, I have worked in this field, animal care and welfare, for over 25 yrs and there is not that smell that screams parvo.
I was hoping that - please please don't let this come out sounding the wrong way - if someone else had experienced the same thing they may have been able to find out more.
Thanks
Raven

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Just a thought...what about toads??? They are very poisonous and dogs love to eat them. Mine was playing with one outside and kept poking with his nose and then picked up in his mouth. I screamed so hard (just very grossed out easily) and he dropped it. That night just from having it in his mouth he had diarrhea several times (enough that I just slept downstairs with him after the first two times and then he drank water with a vengeance and the next day he was ok.

I talked to another dog owner who manages the petsmart and he told me his JRT does this all the time and when he comes inside with foam in his mouth he and his wife give him peroxide to induce vomiting to get the poison out of his system.

So...

being outside...
frothing at the mouth...
diarrhea...

could it be a toad?

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
oh and btw if my dog had bitten or ingested the toad he would have died. they are very poisonous to dogs...even a lick will make a dog sick. Just think about a puppy and how much quicker they would go downhill.

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
Hi!
We adopted a feral catahoula and she ate moldy black walnuts in the back yard; exact same symptoms, drooling excessively, throwing up bile, foam and blood, diarrhea, hiding from us, lethargic, etc. Were your pup's eyes yellow?? Although Addy's weren't that is another symptom. She quickly went into liver failure with enzymes over 10,000. Check your back yard, any standing water, blue green algae, moldy fruits, mushrooms, ASPCA has a toxic plant website; Garlic, onions, xylitol (sugarless gum ingredient), can also cause toxicity, especially the xylitol. I searched for two weeks, finally put Addy on a lead, and she led me to a thicket that squirrels had stored the nuts... I feel so bad for you! I had done everything to keep her safe, fenced in the backyard, etc. Never suspected squirrels would keep dropping the walnut into our yard... Hang in there!

·
Premium Member
10,779 Posts
It's the cane toad that is highly toxic to other animals, google it and you'll see what I mean. Usually frogs are safe.

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
Do you have black walnut trees on your property, now is the time they start dropping and for some reason puppies love to eat and crunch the hulls; a toad is a possibility too. If I hadn't had Addy on the lead trying to find the walnut site I never would have known what had happened. Puddles with algae, or sticks of wood with blue green algae will also be toxic. I feel so bad from you, we almost lost Addy too. Our adult houla was affected at all as she wasn't chewing the walnuts or playing with the moldy sticks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.